Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ordered RS in SG color and was wondering, how will it look like If I will make some body change from second generation RS:

1. Roof Spoiler: paint the sides of the spoiler in piano-black - like this
112_0902_18z+2010_ford_focus_RS+rear_spoiler.jpg

2. Rear diffuser: 2016 RS has all in black-matt, but in second generation part of diffuser was in piano-black (gloss) like this

ford-focus-rs-mk2-1.jpg

3. Front grill: like in diffuser second gen. has grill in piano black, so I thing to paint all black (mat) parts in front (grill, new the foglights) with piano-black color

Ford_Focus_II_RS.JPG

What You think about it?

Sorry for my misspellings :)

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
The new diffuser has a honeycomb pattern on it so would be difficult to make piano black. It looks really good in person.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I personally like the matte finish better. Seems like a waste of money and a bad decision overall to paint over the matte in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I've wondered what it would look like if the front bumper cover were gloss black instead of unpainted plastic. I think it could look good on a blue or white car because it would contrast with the body paint pretty well, but I'd definitely need to see it before I could make that decision. I hadn't considered the rear diffusor, but I'm not sure that I care, to be honest.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I almost forgot about door mirrors - also in piano black :)

I found some close pic of honeycomb diffuser in RS and look really good like You said Focus112 :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
painted plastic parts will not look new for long. prepare to repaint often or do yourself a favor and leave it alone.
That is not correct. Keep in mind that the vehicle already has painted plastic parts such as side mirrors. If done correctly with automotive grade paint it will last as long as metal panels.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I almost forgot about door mirrors - also in piano black :)

I found some close pic of honeycomb diffuser in RS and look really good like You said Focus112 :)
The OEM finish is really nice. The Piano Black accents on that Mk2 are great, but you'd be hard pressed to find a finish that's more difficult to keep clean and looking fresh. It scratches (swirls) easily and is a freakin' dirt magnet. But it sure looks good on that car.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
That is not correct. Keep in mind that the vehicle already has painted plastic parts such as side mirrors. If done correctly with automotive grade paint it will last as long as metal panels.
texture and mold release agents will not be your friend in this situation. you can prep the surface till the cows come home, but using solvents and sanding plastic is a tricky proposition. can you paint plastic? of course you can, but it will chip easily from road debris since paint is hard and the urethane is not. chipping should not be a factor on the rear pieces but anything on the front end will look like ass after a few months. and then to repaint chips on plastic will look like more ass. just my .02 from prior experiences but opinions are like a-holes, we all got em.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
Slider
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing