Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1099 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since a lot of members here started driving (and modifying) their RS, it would be useful to share information about aftermarket 18" wheels that fit to RS.
If you successfully fit yours, please share your rim information.
Or, if you want to know the figment of particular rim, put the make/name here.
Let the wheel rolling!

·
Registered
972 Posts
I think I remember seeing that a ST compatible rim will not fit the RS. Is this correct?
And why would that be? If it has the proper offset and bolt pattern it should fit. The Nurburgring wheel was built to house large calipers. So really as long as the calipers fit then it will be fine.

·
Registered
372 Posts
@Scoobasteve brought CAD drawing of OEM 18" ST rims and they do fit on RS.
There is a slight offset difference so I would wait for a test fit but I can't imagine 5mm is enough of a difference. I had 18 x 8.5 +45mm on my ST and they were perfect.

·
Registered
305 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Those rims look pretty fantastic, but sadly the only 18" wheels I will likely be buying are going to be wheels for my winter setup. Those are far too nice to be winter wheels, methinks.
For the price and weight they would make a great winter wheel.

Thats what I'm going with. Already verified they will fit over the RS calipers. Absolutely loved them on the ST:

View attachment 10736

View attachment 10737
Yeah they look amazing on the focuses. I do love the bronze color if I went with them. Did you notice a difference in the steering feel with the light weight Nurburgring vs the stock ST wheel?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I think I remember seeing that a ST compatible rim will not fit the RS. Is this correct?
No. You have to define ST compatible, but technically all "RS Compatible" wheels will be a subset of "ST Compatible" wheels. Meaning every RS wheel would likely fit on the ST, but not every ST wheel will fit the RS. The RS has bigger brakes and a slightly smaller offset (50mm vs. 55mm) for the stock wheel.

So as an example the stock ST wheel may not fit (and I remember hearing about a Ford person saying that they do not) because it's a higher offset (pushes the wheel inwards) and it's an 18" rim. The combination of those two may cause it to interfere with the caliper.

On the other hand the TSW Nurburgring is a lower offset then either the ST or the RS stock wheels at 40mm. Having a lower offset will make it more likely to fit, but nothing is guaranteed until someone tries it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Did you notice a difference in the steering feel with the light weight Nurburgring vs the stock ST wheel?
Yes, noticeable difference in turn-in as well as responsiveness. Not only very light, but the rotary forging gives them a great balance.

·
Registered
334 Posts
For the price and weight they would make a great winter wheel.
Sadly, where I live in the northeast, winters are harsh and bring a bunch of snow most years which causes the municipalities near me to salt the roads mercilessly. I'd hate to see such nice wheels to get ruined by salt or damaged from driving and parallel parking in the snow. I've been thinking that my winter wheels should be as inexpensive and ugly as possible so that I don't have to care if they get ruined.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Does anybody know the biggest 18" tire you can fit on an ST without any rubbing? I bet the fenderwells are gonna be identical or damn close.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
At Carlisle, the Ford Performance guys were saying the ST wheels will not fit. Nor will the five spoke Ford Racing wheels that I use on my ST for autocross...

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
@Scoobasteve @Bluebyutoo Ford has said since the beginning that the ST wheels don't fit over the larger calipers on the RS and in development they had to use 19" wheels from a Fusion because they were all that fit. Ford reiterated that stance during their November technical presentation by the engineers to Ford managers, where they said that they had developed two new wheel options for the RS because the ST wheels didn't fit over the calipers (largest ever fitted to a Focus!).

Someone decided that they knew better than the engineers that designed my Miata and installed wheels with too small of a backspace and mangled the **** out of the face of my calipers. Don't do it. Just don't. We have been told by the people that designed this system that it won't work.

·
Registered
305 Posts
@Scoobasteve @Bluebyutoo Ford has said since the beginning that the ST wheels don't fit over the larger calipers on the RS and in development they had to use 19" wheels from a Fusion because they were all that fit. Ford reiterated that stance during their November technical presentation by the engineers to Ford managers, where they said that they had developed two new wheel options for the RS because the ST wheels didn't fit over the calipers (largest ever fitted to a Focus!).

Someone decided that they knew better than the engineers that designed my Miata and installed wheels with too small of a backspace and mangled the **** out of the face of my calipers. Don't do it. Just don't. We have been told by the people that designed this system that it won't work.
^
this

1 - 20 of 1099 Posts