Ford Focus RS Forum banner

181 - 195 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Thanks! If you need parts in Canada try Raptor Racing, they are in Ontario and have access to a ton of large companies for our platform. Tell them Dylan sent ya! I am a member of the Toronto RS Nation, one of their American brothers. If you ever end up in Ontario hit up Toronto RS Nation on facebook and see what they have going on.
Haha its me James with the SG! You’re our US hookup :p
Have a good day bro, you coming to the August track day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Love it! Man, I thought my tires sort ng around was bad enough, this makes waiting for mine even more painful.

Also, I'm pretty sure I saw your wheels on Braids Instagram feed, which very quickly prompted me to email Paul about the latest shipment lol.
Out of curiosity, do those center caps come with the wheels or were they extra?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Finally got my Braids after 6 mos of waiting. Gotta say, it was painful, but was well worth the wait.

Few things:
  • Paul of Team Illuminata motorsports/Braid USA was a total pleasure to work with. Great customer service and graciously replied every month I bugged him for status
  • Wheel quality was excellent, although I do have one little niggle: The rear hub face and the lug nut seats appear to be machined after powder coating, leaving exposed bare metal (or at least it looks like it). Not a huge deal, and I'm sure that is what makes them "custom" compared to an off-the-shelf wheel, but it just looks unfinished to me. I left it as is since it will all be covered in brake dust anyway.
  • Owning white wheels before (RIP OZ Rallyracings), I've decided to get these opticoated locally from the get go. We'll see how well they do.
  • The fit and clearance with this wheel is probably the best you'd get from all the existing 17" options. When I took it to the tire shop to get it mounted and balanced, I specifically mentioned not to place any wheel weights on the inside, thinking there's no way I have enough clearance for the brakes. Of course, the genius at the tire machine went ahead and placed weights anyway, which I didn't notice until I got home (not to mention scratching the inside barrel of the wheels). I was pleasantly surprised to see that there was a good 1/8" (~2-3mm) of clearance between the weights and the front calipers (see pics).

• Center caps & "BRAID" decal: I asked about it earlier, but this particular wheel can be machined to accommodate center caps, so make sure to specify that when ordering. The wheels typically come without the "BRAID" logo, but it is just a decal, so you can specify any color you want and they will toss in a few along with your order. I kinda wished I asked for 2ea since it looks a little "uneven" with just one per.
  • Ride comfort: I paired this wheel with 245/45-17 Michelin PS4Ss, fully intending to do daily driving and canyon carving on these. I also have a pretty epic 300mi road rally coming up that this will be used for. I intentionally drove over some gnarly pot holes, freeway cracks and decent bumps on my way to work this morning and boy, does the added sidewall help! Combined with the Litchfield KWs, this car now rides like a 5-series!
One thing I am wondering from others who have gone to 17's: Would the spec tire pressure be different compared to the OEM spec of 41/38 psi F/R? I ask because I had pumped them to the mentioned pressure and they still look a little soft to me.

This set-up is basically the Arby's of wheel & tire combos! "WE HAVE THE MEATS!"

·
Registered
464 Posts
Finally got my Braids after 6 mos of waiting. Gotta say, it was painful, but was well worth the wait.

View attachment 335314

Few things:
  • Paul of Team Illuminata motorsports/Braid USA was a total pleasure to work with. Great customer service and graciously replied every month I bugged him for status
  • Wheel quality was excellent, although I do have one little niggle: The rear hub face and the lug nut seats appear to be machined after powder coating, leaving exposed bare metal (or at least it looks like it). Not a huge deal, and I'm sure that is what makes them "custom" compared to an off-the-shelf wheel, but it just looks unfinished to me. I left it as is since it will all be covered in brake dust anyway.
  • Owning white wheels before (RIP OZ Rallyracings), I've decided to get these opticoated locally from the get go. We'll see how well they do.
  • The fit and clearance with this wheel is probably the best you'd get from all the existing 17" options. When I took it to the tire shop to get it mounted and balanced, I specifically mentioned not to place any wheel weights on the inside, thinking there's no way I have enough clearance for the brakes. Of course, the genius at the tire machine went ahead and placed weights anyway, which I didn't notice until I got home (not to mention scratching the inside barrel of the wheels). I was pleasantly surprised to see that there was a good 1/8" (~2-3mm) of clearance between the weights and the front calipers (see pics).
View attachment 335315

View attachment 335316

View attachment 335317
  • Center caps & "BRAID" decal: I asked about it earlier, but this particular wheel can be machined to accommodate center caps, so make sure to specify that when ordering. The wheels typically come without the "BRAID" logo, but it is just a decal, so you can specify any color you want and they will toss in a few along with your order. I kinda wished I asked for 2ea since it looks a little "uneven" with just one per.
  • Ride comfort: I paired this wheel with 245/45-17 Michelin PS4Ss, fully intending to do daily driving and canyon carving on these. I also have a pretty epic 300mi road rally coming up that this will be used for. I intentionally drove over some gnarly pot holes, freeway cracks and decent bumps on my way to work this morning and boy, does the added sidewall help! Combined with the Litchfield KWs, this car now rides like a 5-series!
One thing I am wondering from others who have gone to 17's: Would the spec tire pressure be different compared to the OEM spec of 41/38 psi F/R? I ask because I had pumped them to the mentioned pressure and they still look a little soft to me.

View attachment 335318

This set-up is basically the Arby's of wheel & tire combos! "WE HAVE THE MEATS!"
Looks awesome!! Saw DTNY8’s setup this weekend at the track on flaken’s and I must say its sexy

·
Registered
44 Posts
Looks awesome!! Saw DTNY8’s setup this weekend at the track on falken’s and I must say its sexy

They were so great, gripped when i wanted, and still able to put it in drift mode and slide a few turns on cool down laps 🤣 Could not be happier, the bouncing I would get with the 19" wheels with the dampers On was reduced. The car is much more smooth, on and off track.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
@BigFatFlip

• Wheel quality was excellent, although I do have one little niggle: The rear hub face and the lug nut seats appear to be machined after powder coating, leaving exposed bare metal (or at least it looks like it). Not a huge deal, and I'm sure that is what makes them "custom" compared to an off-the-shelf wheel, but it just looks unfinished to me. I left it as is since it will all be covered in brake dust anyway.”
This is the way the wheels are suppose to be. Any dirt, corrosion, paint, powder coat etc between wheel and hub mating surfaces can cause joint settling, and in severe cases effect the clamping force between them causing a wheel off situation. That’s why all mating surfaces should be thoroughly brushed clean prior to installation

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
This is the way the wheels are suppose to be. Any dirt, corrosion, paint, powder coat etc between wheel and hub mating surfaces can cause joint settling, and in severe cases effect the clamping force between them causing a wheel off situation. That’s why all mating surfaces should be thoroughly brushed clean prior to installation
Ah, I figured there was a reason for it. Like I said, minor niggle on aesthetics (mostly due to my vanity lol). Very happy with it!

I know you've jumped down quite a few sizes down on wheel/tire size, do you have any input on tire pressures? Do I need to bump up the tire pressures compared to the spec'd 41/38 psi?

I haven't found anything researching on-line and tried math-ing my self out of it, but could not otherwise convince myself one way or the other.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
@BigFatFlip i think it all will depend on your tire choice. The ps4s is a good tire with a fairly stiff sidewall. I’d say pump them up to the factory 46 for a day or two, then drop them back down.

Although I’m running 215/65r16 they are ko2’s which are horribly stiff. I ran them for a few days at 46psi and it was unbearable. Air down to 35 and it was amazing. Raised it to 40/40 to keep the tpms light off and is noticeably worse than 35. But the light will drive me nuts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Guys, where dk you order the Braid wheels from? And how much?
Not sure about Oz, but I bought mine thru Braid USA/Team Illuminata. I know they also ship to Canada, but not sure about any other countries.

Perhaps try searching for the Australian Braid dealer? Found these guys after a quick google:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thanks. With custom items like this (as in - not usual stock items) it often is better/cheaper to order directly from the manufacturer. A lot of the local resellers are often just "flippers" and dont offer much other than adding to the price. Sometimes if they order in bulk it can save on shipping costs though.

I will see if someone local can source them. What is the offset of the 17x8 that works with the brembos?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Thanks. With custom items like this (as in - not usual stock items) it often is better/cheaper to order directly from the manufacturer. A lot of the local resellers are often just "flippers" and dont offer much other than adding to the price. Sometimes if they order in bulk it can save on shipping costs though.

I will see if someone local can source them. What is the offset of the 17x8 that works with the brembos?
It looks like you can actually order directly from Braid: https://www.braid.es/wheels/pedido.html

The main thing was shipping I believe. Braid USA told me that they only order every quarter to save on shipping. They do one large bulk shipment every quarter to 6 mos instead, which was why mine took so long.

Regarding specs, its at the very first post on this thread I believe (off the top of my head, I think its +40)

181 - 195 of 195 Posts