Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the impending arrival of my RS and my desire to have the lightest/skinniest/strongest wheels for rally-type driving without getting a brake downsize kit and 15" gravel wheels as I'm not ready to dump a bunch of money into the sport just yet, I started looking into 17" wheels. Everyone said no 17" would fit, but they said the same about 16" wheels on the STI and we proved them wrong. So a few weeks ago I requested wheel profile templates for the wheel that proved the STI naysayers wrong, the Braid Fullrace A. Paul at Braid USA sent me 17x8, 17x7 and 17x6.5 profiles and they all cleared the calipers by at least a few mm out to +40 offset. So I went ahead and had a 17x6.5" +40 made, shipped across the pond arriving last Friday and true to the profile it fits!
Braid 17x6.5 RS.jpeg

Sorry for the less than ideal pic, it was wintering out here in Denver and I've been sick and busy as hell. I don't have a way to measure the exact clearance, but it's a few mm. I've had wheels with less clearance and no issues, so we're good to go! The 17x6.5 profile had the closest caliper clearance so the 17x7 and 17x8 will definitely work as well.

Now I was gonna say I'm far too mature (I swear!) to come in here quoting the people who said 17s would never fit and was just going to humbly let people know I found one that worked, and in fact was the first to do so... until I did a quick search and saw @Xicutioner beat me to it with the Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s 17x8s (I'd purposely been avoiding the forum as it made being RS-less more excruciating) - kudos to him, the more options the better! I'd encourage others with 17s available to try them out as well. Although I know Braid and am guessing TD are about the best in caliper clearance, there could be others.

I also contacted all the big rally wheel names - Oz, Speedline, Compomotive, Enkei, Sparco, Method, BBS, etc. - and they wouldn't send profiles, responded with the official line "it doesn't say it'll fit the RS", or not at all. Given Braid's slogan "The Last Wheels You'll Ever Need" and Paul being a million times more helpful than anyone else, the choice was made. I'd say Team Dynamics is good for winter/light gravel duty though (although they frequently get bent in rallycross) and will be the choice for some at half the cost. I have received Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 17x7 and 17x6.5 profiles and will check them for fitment when I get a chance.

Oh and I live next to a Tirerack distribution center and ordered an Oz Leggera & Ultralegerra 17x7.5 and can confirm they don't fit though. Good thing I do so much business with them they could care less about a few returns here and there.

The Braid Fullrace A 17x6.5 estimated weight is 16.5 lbs making them the lightest strongest rally-capable wheels. That I know of, I'd love it if someone proved me wrong. Oh and here's the link to the ones I ordered: https://teamilluminata.com/collections/wheels/products/fullrace-a-wheels?variant=3814280644

I’ll post the TD profile results when I get a moment to breathe.

·
Registered
317 Posts
With the impending arrival of my RS and my desire to have the lightest/skinniest/strongest wheels for rally-type driving without getting a brake downsize kit and 15" gravel wheels as I'm not ready to dump a bunch of money into the sport just yet, I started looking into 17" wheels. Everyone said no 17" would fit, but they said the same about 16" wheels on the STI and we proved them wrong. So a few weeks ago I requested wheel profile templates for the wheel that proved the STI naysayers wrong, the Braid Fullrace A. Paul at Braid USA sent me 17x8, 17x7 and 17x6.5 profiles and they all cleared the calipers by at least a few mm out to +40 offset. So I went ahead and had a 17x6.5" +40 made, shipped across the pond arriving last Friday and true to the profile it fits!
View attachment 154425

Sorry for the less than ideal pic, it was wintering out here in Denver and I've been sick and busy as hell. I don't have a way to measure the exact clearance, but it's a few mm. I've had wheels with less clearance and no issues, so we're good to go! The 17x6.5 profile had the closest caliper clearance so the 17x7 and 17x8 will definitely work as well.

Now I was gonna say I'm far too mature (I swear!) to come in here quoting the people who said 17s would never fit and was just going to humbly let people know I found one that worked, and in fact was the first to do so... until I did a quick search and saw @Xicutioner beat me to it with the Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s 17x8s (I'd purposely been avoiding the forum as it made being RS-less more excruciating) - kudos to him, the more options the better! I'd encourage others with 17s available to try them out as well. Although I know Braid and am guessing TD are about the best in caliper clearance, there could be others.

I also contacted all the big rally wheel names - Oz, Speedline, Compomotive, Enkei, Sparco, Method, BBS, etc. - and they wouldn't send profiles, responded with the official line "it doesn't say it'll fit the RS", or not at all. Given Braid's slogan "The Last Wheels You'll Ever Need" and Paul being a million times more helpful than anyone else, the choice was made. I'd say Team Dynamics is good for winter/light gravel duty though (although they frequently get bent in rallycross) and will be the choice for some at half the cost. I have received Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 17x7 and 17x6.5 profiles and will check them for fitment when I get a chance.

Oh and I live next to a Tirerack distribution center and ordered an Oz Leggera & Ultralegerra 17x7.5 and can confirm they don't fit though. Good thing I do so much business with them they could care less about a few returns here and there.

The Braid Fullrace A 17x6.5 estimated weight is 16.5 lbs making them the lightest strongest rally-capable wheels. That I know of, I'd love it if someone proved me wrong. Oh and here's the link to the ones I ordered: https://teamilluminata.com/collections/wheels/products/fullrace-a-wheels?variant=3814280644

I’ll post the TD profile results when I get a moment to breathe.
Cool, it's good to know their are a few 17" options out there. I'd be more interested if the weight was lower - my 18x8.5" wheels are ~20lbs, vs 19.2lbs for the 17x8" wheels from your link.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, it's good to know their are a few 17" options out there. I'd be more interested if the weight was lower - my 18x8.5" wheels are ~20lbs, vs 19.2lbs for the 17x8" wheels from your link.
Couple things, 1) Braid are super strong so if you don't need the strength you can likely find lighter, 2) they are built to your specs so whatever color, offset, and you can even the "lightweight option" where they take every gram off it without affecting strength/integrity. But yeah there are definitely lighter wheels.... can get 15 lbs or under if you're willing to pay a fortune, but they won't be as strong. If you don't need it, and I suspect most don't, then that's that. I'm hoping this thread will bring us some more options in the future.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think because I haven't posted much the mods are reviewing every post so I can't edit what I just wrote, but meant to say with their lightening option those 17x8" would get close to 17 lbs.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Subbing in...very interested in the TD fitment outcome as I am in need of a good 17" wheel option for winter use!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
With the impending arrival of my RS and my desire to have the lightest/skinniest/strongest wheels for rally-type driving without getting a brake downsize kit and 15" gravel wheels as I'm not ready to dump a bunch of money into the sport just yet, I started looking into 17" wheels.
Out of curiosity, what size and type of tire are you intending to run on these rims?

I have received Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 17x7 and 17x6.5 profiles and will check them for fitment when I get a chance.
Did you get that chance yet?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really sorry it's taken so long, got super busy and my wheel lock key disappeared somehow... glove box has popped open multiple times rallying, not sure how it made it out of the car though. Another user on here sent me the info for McGard and I should have the key in a few days. I'll be running 205/50R17 General Altimax Artics year round. Would've gone 205/55R17 for a little more sidewall & ground clearance if they made them. Outside of gravel tires which you wouldn't want to run all the time (I don't think they're DOT legal either), snow tires give you the most grip on gravel. Blizzaks and a couple other top rated probably have the absolute most grip, but I burned through an $800 set (another HUGE advantage to going 17!) in 2.5 months last fall on the STI so I needed something with a little more treadwear. Talking with the rallyxers a lot of them run a studdable winter tire such as winterforce (only available up to 15"), the Nokian Hakkapeliitta, or the General Altimax... Hakkas are $150-60/tire, Altimaxes are $99 so it was a no brainer for me. I'll report back how they do this summer.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It was 4am when I saw this and I couldn't get back to sleep so I did the ol' loosen the rest of the lugs then drive till the wheel lock loosens up... the lengths I go for you guys! Anyway I got the wheel off and from the profile it looks like the Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 will fit at +25mm offset, +30 looks like it'll be just about touching the caliper. I've shared a folder with the wheel profiles so you can test them out yourself here, but having done this a bunch I'd be confident enough in my arts & crafts capabiiity to order them. One interesting thing I found when looking at the Braid & TD profiles side by side, you can easily tell which wheel is stronger and why the TD's get bent up in rallyx:
Braid vs Team Dynamics Thickness.PNG

But for the price they're a great, lightweight option as long as you don't plan on going above light duty. Also with the Braid the wheel lock was too wide so I performed an exhaustive search of this forum for the cheapest/best lugs and ended up ordering these. It always bugs me when people don't link to things so I'll try doing that from here on out. Next up, rally lights... :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
i would like to find good 17" wheel too, but it's hard to tell if they are going to fit over the caliper

255 on 17" wheel would be perfect :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I :love_heart::love_heart::love_heart: the Altimax Arctics. I have them on my B5 A4 winter car, and they are easily the best performing snow tires I've had. Plus, you're right about their effectiveness in dirt/gravel/mud ... I'll bring that car out to go bounce off of rocks in the summertime, and the Altimax Arctics help it muscle through just about anything.

Thank you for your comprehensive research and feedback on this topic. I have neither the time nor the resources to go to those lengths, so what you've done is really appreciated by yours truly.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
i would like to find good 17" wheel too, but it's hard to tell if they are going to fit over the caliper

255 on 17" wheel would be perfect :)
Not sure I'm following you... I've already proven the above Braids clear at 17x6.5" with more clearance as you go more width, so 17x8.5 +40et (abbreviation for +40mm offset, I'll use that from here on out) will definitely clear the calipers. That would give you 10+.5/2*25.4=16.35mm or 0.64" more poke and 10-.5/2*25.4=3.65mm or 0.14" less inset. You can get the wheel profile from Braid USA if you don't believe me. +50et brings the spokes back in 10mm for 6.35mm more poke than stock, and you may even be able to get away with +60et. Hell why am I mathing, play around with the parameters here.

Same goes for Team Dynamics, except you know+25et is the highest you can go on the 17x7s, but you'll be able to go higher on the 17x9s. TD doesn't make half sizes, so if you absolutely have to have 255s you'll need 17x9s, if you could go with 245s then 17x8s would work and save weight. Wheel/tire size calculator here.

Braid especially & TD to a lesser extent are known to have the best caliper clearance so I think there'll be limited options, if any, beyond that. By all means get wheel profiles if you can - lack of customer service from other wheel companies was a big issue for me as mentioned above - and try out some others to give us more data points.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I :love_heart::love_heart::love_heart: the Altimax Arctics. I have them on my B5 A4 winter car, and they are easily the best performing snow tires I've had. Plus, you're right about their effectiveness in dirt/gravel/mud ... I'll bring that car out to go bounce off of rocks in the summertime, and the Altimax Arctics help it muscle through just about anything.

Thank you for your comprehensive research and feedback on this topic. I have neither the time nor the resources to go to those lengths, so what you've done is really appreciated by yours truly.
Great to hear another positive response! For anyone else researching the best winter tires check out the Tirerack customer ratings and since not everyone has a Consumer Reports account I'll post their top rated here:
CR Snow Tires.PNG

Tirerack is awesome, but keep in mind those are subjective customer reviews, albeit over a ton of customers and hundreds of thousands to millions of miles. Just as an example the Continental WinterContactSI is an amazing tire and IMO every bit as good at speed as the Blizzak (industry standard/leader forever), but at slow speeds it struggles with snow shedding due to not as big grooves and left me sliding more than necessary. Still, awesome tire as are all of the top ones, I doubt most people could tell which one was on their car in a blind test. I'm going with the Altimax this summer and assuming all goes well as I'm sure it will I get the same tires in the fall but have them studded. 12kft Colorado mountain passes are no joke in the winter!

And no problem, that's what the forum is for! I have a ton of research to do on rally lights and hope others can help me!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Not sure I'm following you... I've already proven the above Braids clear at 17x6.5" with more clearance as you go more width, so 17x8.5 +40et (abbreviation for +40mm offset, I'll use that from here on out) will definitely clear the calipers. That would give you 10+.5/2*25.4=16.35mm or 0.64" more poke and 10-.5/2*25.4=3.65mm or 0.14" less inset. You can get the wheel profile from Braid USA if you don't believe me. +50et brings the spokes back in 10mm for 6.35mm more poke than stock, and you may even be able to get away with +60et. Hell why am I mathing, play around with the parameters here.

Same goes for Team Dynamics, except you know+25et is the highest you can go on the 17x7s, but you'll be able to go higher on the 17x9s. TD doesn't make half sizes, so if you absolutely have to have 255s you'll need 17x9s, if you could go with 245s then 17x8s would work and save weight. Wheel/tire size calculator here.

Braid especially & TD to a lesser extent are known to have the best caliper clearance so I think there'll be limited options, if any, beyond that. By all means get wheel profiles if you can - lack of customer service from other wheel companies was a big issue for me as mentioned above - and try out some others to give us more data points.
I Mean not 2k$ wheels

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I Mean not 2k$ wheels
Gotcha. I've never spent this much on wheels before, but it was mostly offset selling the stock wheels/tires which ford charges $3k (!!) for the wheels alone. If I didn't know I'd bend them - and I put my car through stuff 99% of people wouldn't - I'd go with Team Dynamics.

Update for everyone else, wheels came in at 16.7 lbs, which is good since they were very uncertain about wheels they hadn't made before. Altimax Arctics are awesome, I can't really tell the difference in grip from the blizzaks and they'll last much longer. I'd post pics, but a 740 lb elk decided to jump on my car. :( More to follow if it isn't totalled in a grille guard thread I'll post soon, and maybe even if it is and I can buy it back from geico.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Try some compomotive rims. Very tough to bend.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Try some compomotive rims. Very tough to bend.
As I mentioned in the first post I reached out to all the rally wheel companies including Compomotive and they were either unresponsive or didn't make wheels that fit, which I believe was the case with Compomotive. I know everyone has their own opinion, but from all my research/speaking to rally folk Braid is either the strongest or tied for strongest wheels out there. Actually come to think of it Compomotive is right there too, just didn't make a 17 that would fit.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I'd post pics, but a 740 lb elk decided to jump on my car. :( More to follow if it isn't totalled in a grille guard thread I'll post soon, and maybe even if it is and I can buy it back from geico.
Bummer... Would still love pics tho, but if not, completely understand.

Needed some new wheels ASAP, so I ended up getting the 18" OZ Rally racing from tirerack since they can ship very quickly. The 17" Braid wheels may have to wait until next year...

1 - 20 of 201 Posts