Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m sure this is an old topic but I’m really interested in what you all have to say about this comparison.please be thorough. Thank you all

·
Super Moderator
15,434 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just read that article the other day and drove a brand new FiST today. While the FiST is a nice car, it isn't remotely close to the RS. Bang for buck/smiles per mile might be about equal or in favor of the FiST but the RS is just totally in another class. If I only had $20k it'd be the FiST hands down.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
The Fiesta ST is the bang for the buck winner. Sure its not as fast as the RS anywhere. However, its rock solid, reliable, and fun to drive while being damned cheap. You can find used examples with 50-80k on the clock for under $10,000. Thats ALOT of fun for a cheap car.

The Focus RS on the other hand has limits that quickly exceed any legal limits, and its capabilities are beyond most drivers skill-sets. A bolt-on Focus RS with a set of sticky tires is a practically a God Slayer. But you pay for it. Its not a cheap car, even used. They still command a good price.

You could basically buy 3 used Fiesta ST's for the price of a single RS.

That said, You would have to pry the Keyfob for my RS from my cold, dead hands. The sheer capability of the car is stupid, coupled with the 4 door hatch-back form. The only cars I could see replacing the RS would be a Volvo V60 Polestar, or a Porsche Panamera 4S.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I came from a FiST to the RS.

A few things. The FiST feels much smaller and lighter. The first time I got into the RS I felt like I was in a minivan, lol. This size and weight makes driving the RS slow so boring and chore like. With the FiST everything felt like a go cart track. The interior of the RS is much nicer than the FiST, a lot less rattles although my RS is not rattle free.

Once you start driving the RS with a lead foot it really comes alive and becomes such an awesome car, and is no doubt a faster car.

Style wise, I think the RS looks better, as I didn't like some angles of the FiST.

Part of me will always wish I would have kept the FiST, as it would have been paid off by now, and a hybrid turbo with an e30 tune making around 300whp, with some flares would be a hoot to drive. I really wish I would have gone that route really bad at times.

I will eventually own another FiST, I'm positive about that.

The ST
bjxyrCk.png

·
Registered
49 Posts
I can't really say that I enjoy one over the other. I make sure to drive them both at least once a week. Both fun as hell to drive and neither one fails to put a smile on my face! Thinking about doing the GTX2860R garret turbo upgrade. That little 1.6 liter in the FiST can be tuned to about 350 horses without needing to upgrade the internals!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I came from a FiST to the RS.

A few things. The FiST feels much smaller and lighter. The first time I got into the RS I felt like I was in a minivan, lol. This size and weight makes driving the RS slow so boring and chore like. With the FiST everything felt like a go cart track. The interior of the RS is much nicer than the FiST, a lot less rattles although my RS is not rattle free.

Once you start driving the RS with a lead foot it really comes alive and becomes such an awesome car, and is no doubt a faster car.

Style wise, I think the RS looks better, as I didn't like some angles of the FiST.

Part of me will always wish I would have kept the FiST, as it would have been paid off by now, and a hybrid turbo with an e30 tune making around 300whp, with some flares would be a hoot to drive. I really wish I would have gone that route really bad at times.

I will eventually own another FiST, I'm positive about that.

Same as this guy (hence my user name).

Had a 2014 FiST, kept it for 4 years and 35k miles.

Had the Cobb access port, only a Stage 1 tune, Cobb springs and swaybars, Borla Catback and Injen CAI.

Had my RS for 16 months (just sold it) and 8500 miles.

Agree with everything whiteGT has stated.

Honestly I miss the FiST more. Was just a super fun car to drive at 10/10th on every drive, from the morning commute to Saturday morning runs to the grocery store.

I may pick another one up. Isn't 2019 the last year they are being sold in the US? May look to pick up a used 2019 in a year or two.....

This time I will probably do the intercooler upgrade so I can do the Cobb stage 2/3 tunes.

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
Two months ago I rented a FiST (from Budget! I know!!!) and I have to say, that car is absurdly fun. The interior is most definitely a major jump down, the shift lever linkage feels hilariously whack (I swear the H pattern is drunk), but the car makes hilarious noises stock. The seating position is MUCH better than the RS. I hooned it for ~400 miles and got 32 MPG. Only filled up once. Rides better, too.

Other FiST drawbacks undoubtedly include much smaller interior (especially the laughable back seat, and the hatch area is pretty tiny too), the throttle pedal isn't anywhere near as responsive (for heel/toe especially) and isn't anywhere near loud enough exhaust/engine wise.

That said - if I had an opportunity to buy a FiST as a daily/beater, I would. In a heartbeat. I love the RS, and dailying it has many upsides, it's littler cousin is awesome and would be just as awesome overall.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
Same as this guy (hence my user name).

Had a 2014 FiST, kept it for 4 years and 35k miles.

Had the Cobb access port, only a Stage 1 tune, Cobb springs and swaybars, Borla Catback and Injen CAI.

Had my RS for 16 months (just sold it) and 8500 miles.

Agree with everything whiteGT has stated.

Honestly I miss the FiST more. Was just a super fun car to drive at 10/10th on every drive, from the morning commute to Saturday morning runs to the grocery store.

I may pick another one up. Isn't 2019 the last year they are being sold in the US? May look to pick up a used 2019 in a year or two.....

This time I will probably do the intercooler upgrade so I can do the Cobb stage 2/3 tunes.
What do you drive now?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I too went from a FiST to a FoRS. Since my focus [pun not intended] is on autocrossing, the big difference there is the lack of a limited slip diff in the Fiesta. Even with its relatively modest power, I experienced much wheelspin exiting corners in the FiST, which just doesn't happen in the FoRS. Corner exit speed is the FoRS's huge advantage.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
The FiST would be a nice daily commuter. Test drove it several times.

Waiting for it for the price to go lower.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Anyone thinking about a Fiesta ST, go get 1. Ford's got a 3k rebate through June making a 2019 NEW 15k before tax and fees. I'm trying so hard to validate buying 1 right now lmao. Probably going w a 15 Jetta sportwagen TDI though.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
The fully loaded one I test drove the lowest I got it was $21,500 before TLF.

·
Registered
49 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
I was looking at fords website at the Fiestas, and whats the difference between the fiesta ST and the "ST Line"?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts