Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I'd be interested to see the list of supporting mods, but if the 2.3 can do that on stock internals thats mighty impressive.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
With AWD I'm really finding it very tempting to push the limits since traction should not be too much of a concern. I would love to see a Dyno graph and pricing of this kit.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You have to remember that the mustang's 2.3L is an transverse setup where the RS is inline. So this kit could be the "basis" of an RS type kit but we might not be able to squeeze such a big turbo as easily. A lot less room under the hood.

·
Registered
320 Posts
You have to remember that the mustang's 2.3L is an transverse setup where the RS is inline. So this kit could be the "basis" of an RS type kit but we might not be able to squeeze such a big turbo as easily. A lot less room under the hood.
Think you have that reversed. Either way, it is a tight fit in the RS's bay but I bet there will be something available for the RS. Not so sure how it will lay down all that power with this new AWD setup, or if the drivetrain can handle it, but that's for others to be the guniea pig and find out. The mustang's drivetrain is way more simple and predictable for mods compared to the RS.

Edit: I don't doubt the RS's beefed up engine though, I'm sure that's plenty strong.

·
Super Moderator
15,369 Posts
I did a image search around Roush and the web and no photos of the upgrade turbo kit are posted. Did come across a engine cover reported to be from Roush for the 2.3EB over on eBay. Looks like someone stuck a Roush placard over the powered by Ford area.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd be interested to see the list of supporting mods, but if the 2.3 can do that on stock internals thats mighty impressive.

At minimum, we would need a pump and injectors. I know my Evo needed an ebcs, and imagine the RS would as well. Quite possibly a tubular manifold and hfc would be in the mix.

I'm sure the crank would be fine, but I also question the rods (bolts) and pistons (ringland lol hello STI boys), not to mention its a sleeved aluminum block. My Evo x boys and I estimate the 4b11t is OK to about 400ftlbs is on a mustang dyno. That's enough to get you well over 500whp. But of course that's an entirely different engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Plenty of room under the hood, and if its a stock frame turbo you wouldn't even know the difference until you matted the go pedal. If its not stock frame, then size still don't really matter, it comes down to the plumbing, manifold, uicp, licp.

I have no idea if this turbo is even really necessary, you may be able tho throw down true 350/350 on a heartbreaker mustang dyno with little more than a tune, ebcs, hfc injectors, pump, and burning corn.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
At minimum, we would need a pump and injectors. I know my Evo needed an ebcs, and imagine the RS would as well. Quite possibly a tubular manifold and hfc would be in the mix.

I'm sure the crank would be fine, but I also question the rods (bolts) and pistons (ringland lol hello STI boys), not to mention its a sleeved aluminum block. My Evo x boys and I estimate the 4b11t is OK to about 400ftlbs is on a mustang dyno. That's enough to get you well over 500whp. But of course that's an entirely different engine.
The pistons are going to be stout, they are built like diesel pistons. I'm going to go on a limb and say the bottom end will be good for 500+whp. I do agree that its going to be desperate for fuel from the factory.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts

Its direct injection. Wont have to upgrade the fueling system. Just step up the pressure with the tune. Unless its like the ST, but there are aftermarket bolt on fueling systems. It will also have a EBCS stock, just like your EVO. Most just need a different type (2 post to 3 port) for better boost control. All in all, this is all apples and oranges when comparing those two engines. Completely different.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Its direct injection. Wont have to upgrade the fueling system. Just step up the pressure with the tune. Unless its like the ST, but there are aftermarket bolt on fueling systems. It will also have a EBCS stock, just like your EVO. Most just need a different type (2 post to 3 port) for better boost control. All in all, this is all apples and oranges when comparing those two engines. Completely different.

You never know, the MK6 Golf R needs a HPFP upgrade at stage 2 power levels and the GTI needs injectors around 400WHP.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
That's what I saw saying about bolt on fuel systems. There are ones that have injectors in the throttle body and plumbs into the factory fueling system. Elegant solution to it. Also depends on the fuel being used.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Speed performance in linden nj. ST ancillary fuel injection. Lots of fuel for a grand. I'm hoping that the sleepless nights that they referred to in the rebirth of an icon series were solved my fuel system upgrades.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
14 Participants
focus pilot
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing