Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

Looking for some recommendations on rotors. I'm looking for something that will provide improved performance on the track, and possibly some added "style" for the streets. My RS is my DD, but I will be frequenting track days/autocross. Right now, I am planning to get some G-LOC GS-1's pads for the street, and G-LOC R12/R10s pads for the track to replace OEM pads. My goal is to swap the pads back and forth on the same set of rotors for DD/track days.

In my head, I would like to get a set of slotted rotors, but I can't find any reviews/experiences from tracking any of the available options. Does anyone have experience with the DBA or Stoptech slotted rotors (or any others) on the track? I do not want to go to 2pc rotors due to cost. I am also open to just getting more OEM rotors (since they are cheaper and I know they work just fine), but I would prefer something slotted. Any input is appreciated! :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The improved performance from a 2 piece will justify the cost.
I understand that the improved performance can justify the cost, but the cost is a bit outside the budget right now. I'm not sure how slotted and 2pc rotors hold up during daily driving, but I need something that will work basically year round in all temps/weather (Chicago).

I have installed the DBA 5000 series two piece rotor and a set of Ferodo ds2500 pads.
Those do look rather nice. Mind me asking what you paid for those? And do you know the cost of replacing the rings/hardware?

·
Registered
406 Posts
No issues for me with using a two piece every day in all conditions.
If money is an issue I would recommend just getting yourself some pads and when the rotors need replacing, then look at what the budget can afford.

I'm located in Australia so pricing will be different.

Here is a link with similar pricing. Replacement rotors are only approx half the price of the complete rotor. Not bad.

https://brakesdirect.com.au/aus/catalogsearch/result/?q=vehicle&make=Ford&model=Focus&generation=2015-+%28LZ%29&submodel=RS

·
Registered
397 Posts
Don't you find the Ferodo DS2500 dust is over the top.
Once you wash the car, then drive for 15 minutes get out and the wheels are coated in brake dust.
But they are great pads

·
Registered
406 Posts
Don't you find the Ferodo DS2500 dust is over the top.
Once you wash the car, then drive for 15 minutes get out and the wheels are coated in brake dust.
But they are great pads
I have to agree about the dust. I didn't think it was going to be as bad. Can't fault their performance.

I'll look at what else is available next time.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
The rotoras drop like 6lbs per corner with 2 piece slotted.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If money is an issue I would recommend just getting yourself some pads and when the rotors need replacing, then look at what the budget can afford.
I wouldn't necessarily say money is an issue, but I would prefer not to spend an arm and a leg on rotors :). My OEM rotors have a few track days and autocrosses on them and over 25K miles now. I'm planning to switch pad compound to G-LOC so I can swap between street and track, so I wanted to start with something fresh so I can properly bed the new pads and get a good transfer layer.

The rotoras drop like 6lbs per corner with 2 piece slotted.
I do really like the 2pc rotors, was just curious if anyone had experience on the track with 1pc "solid" slotted rotors. I know there a lot of benefits (weight/heat dissipation/etc.), just not what I'm looking for right now :)

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily say money is an issue, but I would prefer not to spend an arm and a leg on rotors :). My OEM rotors have a few track days and autocrosses on them and over 25K miles now. I'm planning to switch pad compound to G-LOC so I can swap between street and track, so I wanted to start with something fresh so I can properly bed the new pads and get a good transfer layer.

I do really like the 2pc rotors, was just curious if anyone had experience on the track with 1pc "solid" slotted rotors. I know there a lot of benefits (weight/heat dissipation/etc.), just not what I'm looking for right now :)
Then I'd say stick with the stock rotors. They are super cheap to replace and work. Slotted is not needed, and I only got that since it was the only option in the group buy.

If you're not doing the upgrade to move to rebuild-able 2 piece rotors and removing rotating mass, the money would be better spent upgrading other items.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Imho, rotors, just like pads and tires, are "consumables", so which ever cheapest option lets you get more seat time. Most of the guys I know that track regularly upgrade pads and fluid and stick with regular rotors.

Centric makes a decent rotor for ~$200 a set

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Imho, rotors, just like pads and tires, are "consumables", so which ever cheapest option lets you get more seat time. Most of the guys I know that track regularly upgrade pads and fluid and stick with regular rotors.

Centric makes a decent rotor for ~$200 a set
Yea OEM (or equivalent) is going to be my backup if I can't decide on a set of slotted :)

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Yea OEM (or equivalent) is going to be my backup if I can't decide on a set of slotted :)
As long as you know you're just paying for looks with slotted.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yup, as far as I’m concerned the 2 piece rotors will get you lightened unsprung weight but very expensive. I just use cheap Centric blanks as you can chew’em up and just replace. For the track I have used G-loc R16 front and R12’s for the rear. I like brakes to work-gives me confidence. I left them on for the winter because I like the initial bite. They work fine in sub-freezing temps. 6 track days and a Winter use and finally trashed. I have ordered G16’s for front and rear for this year’s track days and will see how they do. Better brake cooling ducts will go a long way to help reduce fade. I will probably get a set of slotted rotors for daily use bling factor. Adams rotors look nice.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yup, as far as I’m concerned the 2 piece rotors will get you lightened unsprung weight but very expensive. I just use cheap Centric blanks as you can chew’em up and just replace. For the track I have used G-loc R16 front and R12’s for the rear. I like brakes to work-gives me confidence. I left them on for the winter because I like the initial bite. They work fine in sub-freezing temps. 6 track days and a Winter use and finally trashed. I have ordered G16’s for front and rear for this year’s track days and will see how they do. Better brake cooling ducts will go a long way to help reduce fade. I will probably get a set of slotted rotors for daily use bling factor. Adams rotors look nice.
Do you happen to have a link for the Centric rotors? I would like to check them out

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sorry missed this. I always go to KNS Brakes as posted before. You can even call and talk to Ken if you have questions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have installed the DBA 5000 series two piece rotor and a set of Ferodo ds2500 pads.
Curious... Does Ferodo make our current OEM stock pads? I know they do on my other Ford w/Brembos. If not, is the Ferodo DS2500 a better pad than our stock pads?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I took some advice and talked to Ken at KNS. Decided to go with the DBA slotted, gets me the performance and looks I am looking for :cool:. He agreed that they should work well with the GS-1 and R12/R10 combination, and allow me to swap back and forth for street/track.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts