Ford Focus RS Forum banner

481 - 500 of 539 Posts

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Has anyone had luck using film to protect the paint where the racks touch the roof? I have all the parts for my thule rack, but I'm scared to install them. I know it's silly.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk
I used a strip of 3M PPF at each corner for protection. When I take the rack off you can see the rubber feet imprints (including numbers) in the film! And the clips marked the film at their edges too.

I didnt use the film on my ST with the Rhino rack and had only one tiny scratch after 3 seasons with the bike racks. But the ST did not have the locating pins and it seemed like the front bar shifted a bit once which could have caused the scratch (maybe should have checked torque more often).

If you’re worried PPF is cheap insurance, I got mine on amazon I think, 4 in wide I believe it was. And check torque every once in a while to avoid movement. Of course clean surfaces during mounting. And taking it off if you run it year round for cleaning (might not be needed with PPF though).

Attached is a picture of the front driver PPF, all corners applied in similar manner. That’s a good reminder to install my rack next week and start biking!!

Edit: added pics with flash and pics of rear, previous pic was bad! Flash help the film show up on the pictures!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I just cut off some spare vinyl I had. Worked fine. Over time though I said **** it. My car isn’t a garage queen.

·
Registered
101 Posts
What bike carrier are people preferring to use with the Ford Euro rack? I ordered the euro rack to transport my mountain bike, but never had a roof rack on any of my previous cars. I'm looking for something that will securely hold and will be easy to load my large 29er with 2.5 tires as well as my 650b gravel bike with 1.5" tires.

·
Registered
126 Posts
What bike carrier are people preferring to use with the Ford Euro rack? I ordered the euro rack to transport my mountain bike, but never had a roof rack on any of my previous cars. I'm looking for something that will securely hold and will be easy to load my large 19er with 2.5 tires as well as my 650b gravel bike with 1.5" tires.
19er, huh? :D

I have the Thule Sidearm on my UK crossbars as my backup or for 2nd bike (my main rack is hitch mount, but only one bike).

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Hey everyone I know it must be posted above but anyone have a link and price to purchase the euro OEM roofrack? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bass opened this weekend and finally got an opportunity to transport the yak. Love the utility of this car combined with its other qualities.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got a quote back from FordPartsUK and looks like shipping has significantly increased, at least from what I've seen in this thread.

I'm not surprised as I've ordered some other stuff from the UK with higher shipping but 75 GBP seems on the high side.

Quote Details
Part Number(s): 1767840
Part(s) Description:
1767840 - Roof rack - £167.51
Courier: Parcelforce International
Parts Price: £167.51
Postage Price: £75.00
Total Payable: £242.51

·
Registered
298 Posts
I got a quote back from FordPartsUK and looks like shipping has significantly increased, at least from what I've seen in this thread.

I'm not surprised as I've ordered some other stuff from the UK with higher shipping but 75 GBP seems on the high side.

Quote Details
Part Number(s): 1767840
Part(s) Description:
1767840 - Roof rack - £167.51
Courier: Parcelforce International
Parts Price: £167.51
Postage Price: £75.00
Total Payable: £242.51
This is what mine cost a couple of months ago:
Parts Price: £142.38
Postage Price: £60.00
Total Payable: £202.38

Looks like the price of the rack still has VAT in your quote which might have put you in a different band for shipping.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I read through this thread and it seems like the thule 1634 kit or ford parts UK are the most common options. Am I missing any others? I'm leaning towards the thule for flexibility down the road. Are there any downsides?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I finally got around to installing the UK rack on my RS. Overall it's pretty good, although I wish it had a better "integrated" look into the car instead of clearly looking like afterthought add-on. It's pretty easy to put on, and everything that touches the paint is rubberized so no need to install any paint protection or worry about paint damage. I didn't install anything on the rack yet, but I do have a single bike rack that I plan on use at some point. I do like that it comes with a torque wrench so that you don't end up messing up the rack or your car by overtightening it. I was hoping the black plastic endcaps would make the rack look cleaner but they don't fit all that well and they only partially cover the attachment arms.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You could try just contacting a seller on eBay.co.uk and see if they can ship it to you

Couldn't get any ebay sellers to send to the US for less than $100 which seemed way too excessive. But, I did find a UK Ford Performance Dealer that was internationally shipping everywhere. Shoutout to Hendy Performance for selling these internationally.

Also, the update I got from Ford Performance Parts UK is that they are shutting down all non-UK orders. Unfortunately I assume this is more Brexit, so now the RS gets to feel that pain, too.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Does anyone run a fairing on their rack (specifically the UK one)? I'd like to get rid of a lot of the wind noise and actually use my sunroof! I've been trying to find one of the older Thule fairings used that fits that crossbar style, but also looks like the newer Yakima ones could work too.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
RS in adventure mode with backpack installed:

Inno Wedge 660 on OEM rack.
Very nice!

Are you able to open the hatch completely with the box installed?

At some point I might get a box too for sky season but I’d prefer not to have to worry about the wing hitting the box!

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Has anyone had luck using film to protect the paint where the racks touch the roof? I have all the parts for my thule rack, but I'm scared to install them. I know it's silly.
No, not silly at all, most definitely try to use clear bra, even if the roof rack has the rubber pads/feet. Any dirt or grit that sticks or gets trapped between the pads and the paint will leave fine scratch marks (ask how I know lol)

I actually used some left over blue vinyl I had lying around (from my hood project) to go in the spots where the roof rack mounts. Very glad I did as you can see that the front clamps really slid and grabbed when I locked them down. Pretty sure I would have left a nice big scratch if I hadn't done this.

481 - 500 of 539 Posts