Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Decided to mount my rack system using Yakima landing pads 11 instead of using clips on the roof rails door jams. IMO its a cleaner look and avoids dents in the roof rail door jams. Good buddy of mine who owns a body shop in the Santa Cruz area performed the work. He also owns a RS @jmf831rs2 . If anybody in the area want this done.. give the shop a call and ask for John.
Very happy with the install. I just ordered 50" Yakima jetstream bars and Skyline towers. The rack system in the picture are about 8 years old and time to get some new gear!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

·
Registered
54 Posts
This looks good. I had fixed points on my MS3 and wanted the same when I got my RS and was a bit disappointed that it didn't have it. How much is your buddy doing this mod for? I'd be very interested in having it done on my RS and Santa Cruz isn't too far from San Jose anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
This looks good. I had fixed points on my MS3 and wanted the same when I got my RS and was a bit disappointed that it didn't have it. How much is your buddy doing this mod for? I'd be very interested in having it done on my RS and Santa Cruz isn't too far from San Jose anyways.

+1, I like this a lot. So, you keep two sets of those plastic weather strips? One with cutouts and one without?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Really cool. I like this a lot. I assume it requires dropping the headliner to get the backing plate/nuts on. Are there any other pieces required to do the job - does the weatherstrip survive being removed and reinstalled? It looks like you have some little rubber plugs that can go in place if you remove the towers?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
@skimz Give him a call or PM jmf831rs2 I got the idea from my MS3. The Yakima was from my MS3. I can't wait for my Yakima jetstream bars.

@GoodbyeGolfR look at the last picture -- see the circular plugs... They cover the 8mm/5/16" holes.

@desertrs the headliner doesn't have to be removed. There are some pieces you do have to remove -- pillar plastic pieces. You do have to stick a magnet sheet to capture the metal from the drill. The black weather strip is a bit tricky. There is a reason why there is a big strip of painters tape. The black strip holder are reusable as long as you use a small screw driver to push on both sides to release it. the plugs are hard plastic plugs. They snap in place. The holes are 8mm - 5/16".

@JWA Thanks!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I really like this install! It's so clean and I really didn't like the look of the door frame attachments of the other kits. What is the part number for the gutter tabs???

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the info. So the fact that you used the same mounts from you MS3 means I can use the same for mine? The only difference is that I was using Thule. I gave your buddy John a call but he was out. Left a message with his coworker he'll be calling me tomorrow. Looking forward on having this done

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info. So the fact that you used the same mounts from you MS3 means I can use the same for mine? The only difference is that I was using Thule. I gave your buddy John a call but he was out. Left a message with his coworker he'll be calling me tomorrow. Looking forward on having this done

The Yakima landing pads 11 bolted directly to my MS3 and now bolts directly to my RS. So I would say yes for your Thule.
He should call you tomorrow.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the Yakima Jetstream bars and skyline towers. I also got a windshield but debating if I should install it or not.
@BE3RS are you refering the mounts in picture #1?

20170309_212055_resized.jpg 20170309_212107_resized.jpg 20170309_212728_resized.jpg

Reactions: skimz and JWA

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was wondering about the actual mounting brackets that you had to drill to install. Pic #1 in your first post.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Got the Yakima Jetstream bars and skyline towers. I also got a windshield but debating if I should install it or not.
@BE3RS are you refering the mounts in picture #1?

View attachment 144385 View attachment 144393 View attachment 144401
Those jetstream bars looks good. I have the Aeroblades from Thule, do you think they fit the same? I think I might want to go with the Yakima landing pads like you but maybe keep my Aeroblades since I've already bought them. What Yakima parts would I need if I did try to go like your setup with jetstream and skyline towers?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Those jetstream bars looks good. I have the Aeroblades from Thule, do you think they fit the same? I think I might want to go with the Yakima landing pads like you but maybe keep my Aeroblades since I've already bought them. What Yakima parts would I need if I did try to go like your setup with jetstream and skyline towers?

Do you have the 53" Aeroblades? 47" maybe too short. I have 50".

For Thule bars you should use rapid podium foot pads 460R with kit3069. That's for fix point mounts. Same footpads as MS3. I don't know you can use Yakima towers for Thule Aeroblades.

For Yakima... Landing pads 11, skyline towers and 50" Jetstream bars.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry to revive a year old thread, but did anyone ever identify this bracket?

I found that Rhino Racks has a series of "Quick Mount Ditch Brackets" that appear to serve the same purpose, but I can't tell which one would work.
I used this one from Subaru.. View attachment 308536

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry to revive a year old thread, but did anyone ever identify this bracket?

I found that Rhino Racks has a series of "Quick Mount Ditch Brackets" that appear to serve the same purpose, but I can't tell which one would work.
Brackets looks about the same. I didn't use rivets -- used nuts and bolts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
jl449, how is this thing holding up now that you've had it for awhile? Any issues or water leakage? Also, what's the most weight you've had up there at one time?

Cheers!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Its holding with no issues. I mostly carry 2 sets of skis.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts