Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy fellow RSers!
So blasting down 280 today here in Northern CA I ran over a chunk of metal - god knows what it was from, about the size of my fist. Didn't see it until it was too late. Surprisingly the front tire seems fine - however when I got back home and checked for damage I noticed that the rocker panel or side skirt seems to have come loose. The fasteners in the front and rear seem to be ok but it looks like the fasteners on the inside seem to have come loose. Does anyone have any resources to remove these or any tips on how I can tighten them back up? I've attached pictures of this - it happened on the drives side - you can see now how there is like a centimeter gap between the panel and the body. The other side of my car is not like this, the rocker sits flush all the way along. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
289 Posts
It looks like, from the photo, that the rocker was bumped up out of the hooks. You can try to hook them back in. If the angle is difficult or the tabs on the rocker panel are broken, might be good to remove the rocker panel and go from there.

If the fasteners themselves broke you need to buy new fasteners. They're plastic clips.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey SenderPiggins thanks for the quick response. That is exactly what happened. I spent about 40 minutes trying to push the rocker back up from the bottom and over the clips but it was just too hard. I guess if you were installing the rocker from off the car you would attach it to the clips first and then put the bottom screws in, does that sound right to you? If so I'll remove the rocker and do it that way. Thanks again.

·
Registered
72 Posts
880 is the worst finding debris. SenderPiggins is right. Looks like it's off its hanging tabs. Best to just take out the bottom tabs under the rocker panel and re position them. If the tabs are broken then you need to replace them. There are a couple video online that show you how to uninstall the side panel to install side aero. GL

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
880 is the worst finding debris. SenderPiggins is right. Looks like it's off its hanging tabs. Best to just take out the bottom tabs under the rocker panel and re position them. If the tabs are broken then you need to replace them. There are a couple video online that show you how to uninstall the side panel to install side aero. GL
Thanks man! Now I've got something to do tonight :) It's weird none of the tabs look broken but I guess I won't truly know until I take off the rocker.

·
Registered
289 Posts
By tabs I meant tabs on the rocker. The plastic clips are like are U shaped, opening upwards, and the rocker hangs on that. But in the plastic section that the clip is holding on to might break off the rocker, requiring at the minimum some contact cement. Worst case scenario you'd have to replace the rocker panel, but that doesn't seem like what's happened in this case.

Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By tabs I meant tabs on the rocker. The plastic clips are like are U shaped, opening upwards, and the rocker hangs on that. But in the plastic section that the clip is holding on to might break off the rocker, requiring at the minimum some contact cement. Worst case scenario you'd have to replace the rocker panel, but that doesn't seem like what's happened in this case.

Let us know how it turns out.
I see, thanks for clarifying. Well I'll keep you posted - wasn't able to get to it last night because of family duties :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts