Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'16 Nitrous Blue RS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched all over and can't find an exact answer to this...What exactly does it sound like when the "engine hits the firewall"? (Ftr I understand that it's actually the RMM giving the engine too much movement and it strikes the end of the mount's travel)

What I'm hearing is a sharp, loud BANG, as if someone were hitting the firewall with a ball peen hammer. It is very loud with the windows up, and I haven't tried it with the windows down.

I replaced my clutch line with a Steeda stainless line that ditches the flow restrictor that's in the factory line. Right after that I started getting the loud bang during my hard shifts, especially from 1st to 2nd. It sounds, and feels like it's coming from the firewall or subframe area. It also happened a couple times when I accelerated hard and quickly release the gas and press in the clutch.

I'm assuming this sound is the RMM due to the quicker clutch engagement and disengagement that is now allowed by the unrestricted clutch line. BUT I haven't seen any solid information from anyone describing the sound.

Does this sound like what you guys have experienced with FoSTs or FoRSs (especially STs) before upgrading the RMM?

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I've searched all over and can't find an exact answer to this...What exactly does it sound like when the "engine hits the firewall"? (Ftr I understand that it's actually the RMM giving the engine too much movement and it strikes the end of the mount's travel)

What I'm hearing is a sharp, loud BANG, as if someone were hitting the firewall with a ball peen hammer. It is very loud with the windows up, and I haven't tried it with the windows down.

I replaced my clutch line with a Steeda stainless line that ditches the flow restrictor that's in the factory line. Right after that I started getting the loud bang during my hard shifts, especially from 1st to 2nd. It sounds, and feels like it's coming from the firewall or subframe area. It also happened a couple times when I accelerated hard and quickly release the gas and press in the clutch.

I'm assuming this sound is the RMM due to the quicker clutch engagement and disengagement that is now allowed by the unrestricted clutch line. BUT I haven't seen any solid information from anyone describing the sound.

Does this sound like what you guys have experienced with FoSTs or FoRSs (especially STs) before upgrading the RMM?
Why ditch the flow restrictor? I'd imagine it's there for the benefit of the clutch and launch when you side step the clutch with launch control engaged.
Ciao

·
Registered
'16 Nitrous Blue RS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why ditch the flow restrictor? I'd imagine it's there for the benefit of the clutch and launch when you side step the clutch with launch control engaged.
Ciao
Mainly I hated the way the clutch engagement felt when quick-shifting, like it wasn't putting the power down in the next gear quickly enough. Coupled with the turbo lag, it always felt like every shift was too long of an interruption in power delivery. I was testing a theory that the restrictor was not allowing the clutch to engage as quickly. This seems to have proven that theory, but also putting more stress on the RMM. So if you guys agree that that's the noise I'm hearing then it's definitely time to replace the RMM.

Edit: and also, I don't use Launch Control. I can't get myself to trust it any more than just slipping the clutch myself. So I may as well have all the control over how much clutch pressure is applied. And the consequences are on me.

Any insights on the noise would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Mainly I hated the way the clutch engagement felt when quick-shifting, like it wasn't putting the power down in the next gear quickly enough. Coupled with the turbo lag, it always felt like every shift was too long of an interruption in power delivery. I was testing a theory that the restrictor was not allowing the clutch to engage as quickly. This seems to have proven that theory, but also putting more stress on the RMM. So if you guys agree that that's the noise I'm hearing then it's definitely time to replace the RMM.

Edit: and also, I don't use Launch Control. I can't get myself to trust it any more than just slipping the clutch myself. So I may as well have all the control over how much clutch pressure is applied. And the consequences are on me.

Any insights on the noise would be greatly appreciated!
I hadn't thought of the reason for the restrictor until I read your first post. It would be interesting to know what the launch control launch is like after restrictor removal as compared to before removal. My mechanical sympathy prevents me from using it.

Ciao

·
Registered
'16 Nitrous Blue RS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hadn't thought of the reason for the restrictor until I read your first post. It would be interesting to know what the launch control launch is like after restrictor removal as compared to before removal. My mechanical sympathy prevents me from using it.

Ciao
From what I understand the restrictor is there to keep you from dumping the clutch too hard and doing damage to the drivetrain.

·
Registered
915 Posts
From what I understand the restrictor is there to keep you from dumping the clutch too hard and doing damage to the drivetrain.
This makes the most sense, and is the reason I wouldn't remove it on my RS.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Thats what I suspected. Same as the slight delay transferring drive to the rear wheels on LC to give the drivetrain a chance.
Then people remove and circumvent them.
Ciao

·
Registered
1,815 Posts

To answer your question, on a stock car it sounds kind of like the bouncing of an overinflated basketball when sidestepping the clutch. If it's a ball peen hammer sound, you're probably getting contact on the firewall.

Either way, you should probably get a RMM. The shifting of the engine during hard driving might have contributed to the feeling that you had regarding slow-feeling shifts, a RMM will fix this.

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
96 Posts
Are you all sure that's a "flow restrictor" to allow for easier engagement when dumping the clutch during launch control? I just looked at my 2000 Contour, and it has the exact same rubber -> metal pipe transition. That car does not have launch/traction control.

I'm not saying it's not to restrict flow to the clutch, I just haven't heard that before and assumed it was because of pressure at the end of the line, and/or heat because that section is right on top of the transmission. And if it is to restrict flow, then it's a general clutch thing -- not specific to modern cars with electronic assists.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Are you currently running the OEM RMM? If so, the rubber is flexing and releasing that energy. The engine does not hit the firewall when you hear that "bang".

Do you have video of it?

·
Registered
'16 Nitrous Blue RS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you all sure that's a "flow restrictor" to allow for easier engagement when dumping the clutch during launch control? I just looked at my 2000 Contour, and it has the exact same rubber -> metal pipe transition. That car does not have launch/traction control.

I'm not saying it's not to restrict flow to the clutch, I just haven't heard that before and assumed it was because of pressure at the end of the line, and/or heat because that section is right on top of the transmission. And if it is to restrict flow, then it's a general clutch thing -- not specific to modern cars with electronic assists.
I can try to find where I read about it some time, but yes I've seen where some people modify the stock clutch line by taking out the restrictor, and the theory is that it keeps people from instantly releasing all that power at launch RPM to the drivetrain. I assume that's why Ford doesn't have a limit to how many times you can do launch control.
Are you currently running the OEM RMM? If so, the rubber is flexing and releasing that energy. The engine does not hit the firewall when you hear that "bang".

Do you have video of it?
Yeah I'm aware it's not the engine hitting the firewall, it's just how many people describe the sound and feeling. I highly doubt, and emphatically hope that nothing is slamming the firewall that hard. That would = very bad.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can try to find where I read about it some time, but yes I've seen where some people modify the stock clutch line by taking out the restrictor, and the theory is that it keeps people from instantly releasing all that power at launch RPM to the drivetrain. I assume that's why Ford doesn't have a limit to how many times you can do launch control.

Yeah I'm aware it's not the engine hitting the firewall, it's just how many people describe the sound and feeling. I highly doubt, and emphatically hope that nothing is slamming the firewall that hard. That would = very bad.
You wouldn't believe the number of times I've seen people state it's literally hitting the firewall.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts