Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Risks of purchasing a NEW MY2017 RS in 2018...

16K views 55 replies 29 participants last post by  PokerRun388 
#1 ·
So, I looked and haven't found a thread that covered this exactly, so I'm posting. Apologies if it's been covered...

I'm in the market for a new car, and the Ford Focus RS was at the top of my list before all of the Head Gasket stuff happened along with some of the other issues that have been described with 2016 and 2017 RS's... well... I'm wondering if those issues should stop me...

Locally, there are MY2017s available NEW at the dealer... they've obviously been sitting for quite a while and their asking price is $36,777 (well under original MSRP)... they assure me that the HG has been replaced with the correct one... and the car has 25 miles on it currently and has never been titled, as of yet...

What are the risks of purchasing a NEW MY2017 RS for what seems like a discounted price? What are the risks? And what are the items that I will be missing if I don't just go ahead and look at MY2018s? I don't want to be the idiot that bought the 2017 when all the info on why NOT to buy them was out there...

Help. Please. :)

#2 ·
Couple of questions: what is the date of manufacture? What options?

If you are intending to buy a MY17 and HG is done the car should be fine. The question as to whether it is a gooddeal vs MY18 boils down to what the options are and intended use.

Unless you plan on tracking the car the new dif in the MY18 will not affect use. If the MY17 is a late production (after 4/28/17) you'd have the rev 1 front and rear upgraded dampers...so ride would be better than MY17 and earlier MY17. Late MY18 had an additional rev2 front dampers (after 11/8/17) so they have the latest Rev dampers. This shouldn't be a deal killer, and you could upgrade your dampers new upgraded dampers for ~ $900.

I'd try to for a better price (<$35k) and/or ask for free extended warranty (would only cost dealer ~$500).

Good luck!

#4 ·
RS1 or RS2?

All 18s are RS2.

You honestly should have zero fears buying a new 17. Other than the HG, which will be replaced already, there are really no differences from a reliability perspective.

I purchased a 17 RS2 this summer. Had HG already done.

Test drove 18 and, as others had said, could tell the front diff would only really be noticeable while tracking.

Also, the pseudo CF interior pieces turned me off of the 18.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I picked up a 2017 for about $6K under MSRP a little over a month ago now. Car sat for 18 months at the dealer. Car has been flawless so far for over 3K miles. I don't think there's much risk TBH.

#7 ·
I would just wait until December. Every ford dealer that has the rs where it shows will be trying to get rid of it. I know there is a few in janesville brand new. Maybe your dealer is willing to trade for them. I reccomend an rs2. Every other option is optional, such as different rims, and sunroof. If you plan on driving it in the winter, just buy a set from tire rack instead of Ford. And if you are worried about reliability, just pay for the bumper to bumper 8 year warranty

#8 ·
Being from Georgia not sure you need the RS2 option unless you visit the north alot or need power seats with lumbar adjustment (seats are a little nicer). Doubt the heated seats, mirrors or steering wheel in Georgia is a big selling point. I have the RS1 in NC w/o sunroof as I wanted the lightest RS with most headroom (I hear the RS2 seats to not go as low as RS1, no numbers from those that have stated that that I've seen and I needed room for helmet and sunroof got in the way of that). Only you can determine what you need/want, just make it the most educated decision you can, we can't say if the deal is good or you or not, and likely we are biased to you getting one.

#11 ·
Look on Ford’s site and also the typical auto sites (cars.com, etc.). Then just start calling dealers. Get a quote then call another dealer and see if they’ll do better. The longer the car has been sitting, the better the chance they’ll sell it at a loss. Just be willing to expand your search radius and start making calls. There are several
New cars listed on cars.com for $37K. A lot more for around $38K.

#14 ·
It depends on what YOU want... color, year, options, current mileage...

I'm the opposite, I didn't want the RS2 pack: For me, it wasn't worth the cost when I couldn't get just the heated seats & heated steering wheel.

Maybe you could get them to knock another 1k off.....

.........................................................................................................................................................................

ZERO radiator fluid loss & no hiccups here....

I haven't gone in to do the headgasket test/replacement.... really paranoid with my RS that something might happen & it will never "be-the-same"....

#22 ·
So this is where I am at now...no trade so I'm going to have to pay taxes. They want 40900 OTD with a set of winter wheels and tires (the silver 18" wheels). That's basically 38k MSRP with free wheels. I'm trying to get them to throw in the triple care warranty and they may have a deal. Should I hold off until the end of the month/year and have them come down another grand or two?

#23 ·
Where are you located? The dealer I bought my 16 from still has two black 17's on the lot, but they're in Kansas City, MO. As far as where you're at, I think you should get them down a bit more. I paid $35k for my '16 with every option including the winter tires and wheels. I think in the range of $37k or so would be a fair price.

My dealer really didn't even hesitate to accept my offer of $35k, so I'd be willing to bet you could snag one of those 17's for less than $37k.

#26 ·
I bought a carryover 2017, and the sales person told me they can not sell new a RS with out doing the head gasket before the sale.
I bought from the largest performance dealer in the state, they had done many HG replacements before. Mine has been no problem, for 12,000 miles.

#31 ·
Anyone thinking about buying a “new” 2017 or 2018 that’s been sitting on a dealer’s lot should check if the cars were reported sold which will start the warranty clock ticking. Many dealers will report cars sold in order boost their numbers even though the car isn’t really sold. It doesn’t mean that the car’s been titled. So, ask the question.

#32 ·
Ford's OASIS also has this information.

#36 ·
I bought mine for 4K under sticker how I wanted except it did have the Cup 2's. Mine was built in July of 17 and is at the tail end of the HG coverage. Honestly with used prices being what they are and how I wanted to go to the RS academy it was a no brainer going this route, although if I could find an NB 18 I would of but only red around me. My RS was in another state and over 100 miles away, took the trip and test drove it to test for rotor problems and made sure the tires were not flat spotted. 4 Months and 1300 miles later no problems at all :)

#37 ·
My buddy is looking into buying a used RS and the dealer says the HG still hasnt been done, i looked the vin up on ETIS and it doesnt show the HG as being active? could they just be mistaken and it already has been completed? the vin is :WF0DP3TH5H4122631

#38 ·
If the recall does not show up on ETIS or the Ford Owner Site when you check for the VIN, the recall has been completed already. I just checked the owner site and I don't see the recall as pending action. It looks to have already been completed. Any Ford technician on here or at any dealership can look up the VIN to pull the service history to confirm.

#45 ·
@Zellhound, that VIN you were asking about, WF0DP3TH9H4120994? The HG was replaced on 28MAR2018 at Gervais Inc in Ayer, MA with 12171 miles on the odometer.

#50 ·
It’s interesting to go back & read the early comments in this thread about how dealers were basically giving the RS away & how seemingly no one was buying them.

Fast forward to Sept. 2019 & the used market has these things selling for 34-38k with 15-20k miles on them, often times no mention of head gasket replacements & dealers will not budge on their prices.

Unfortunately, now buyers are overpaying for a car that sat on dealer lots for 300-500 days back in 2017-2018. So odd.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#52 ·
It's very common. There was a gun scare during a certain president's term. Stuff you could have bought for $500 weeks before jumped up to $1,500. People panic, fester, and overbuy when there is the threat they can buy something they want. You snooze, you lose. The RS was always going to be a 24 month production run, always has been. People had a year of chances to buy one, new, for a steal, and missed out. Tough tattays.

#55 ·
Heck I would consider selling mine for the right price, I don’t marry cars, they are typically just flings to me :). I just dump a lot of $ into them, kind of like a real fling lol, but don’t get me wrong we have a lot of fun together.

#56 ·
I was kind of hoping to get one of those 2017s that were first sold in late 2018, due to warranties expiring. Heck I just saw a 2017 that was first sold in Jan. ‘19 & the guy already put 11k miles on it, in 7 months.

Carvana keeps getting a lot of these & the more I read into their process, the more I like it. They also make it very easy in delivering the vehicle around your work schedules & don’t charge dealer fees etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.