Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I looked and haven't found a thread that covered this exactly, so I'm posting. Apologies if it's been covered...

I'm in the market for a new car, and the Ford Focus RS was at the top of my list before all of the Head Gasket stuff happened along with some of the other issues that have been described with 2016 and 2017 RS's... well... I'm wondering if those issues should stop me...

Locally, there are MY2017s available NEW at the dealer... they've obviously been sitting for quite a while and their asking price is $36,777 (well under original MSRP)... they assure me that the HG has been replaced with the correct one... and the car has 25 miles on it currently and has never been titled, as of yet...

What are the risks of purchasing a NEW MY2017 RS for what seems like a discounted price? What are the risks? And what are the items that I will be missing if I don't just go ahead and look at MY2018s? I don't want to be the idiot that bought the 2017 when all the info on why NOT to buy them was out there...

Help. Please. :)

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Couple of questions: what is the date of manufacture? What options?

If you are intending to buy a MY17 and HG is done the car should be fine. The question as to whether it is a gooddeal vs MY18 boils down to what the options are and intended use.

Unless you plan on tracking the car the new dif in the MY18 will not affect use. If the MY17 is a late production (after 4/28/17) you'd have the rev 1 front and rear upgraded dampers...so ride would be better than MY17 and earlier MY17. Late MY18 had an additional rev2 front dampers (after 11/8/17) so they have the latest Rev dampers. This shouldn't be a deal killer, and you could upgrade your dampers new upgraded dampers for ~ $900.

I'd try to for a better price (<$35k) and/or ask for free extended warranty (would only cost dealer ~$500).

Good luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
RS1 or RS2?

All 18s are RS2.

You honestly should have zero fears buying a new 17. Other than the HG, which will be replaced already, there are really no differences from a reliability perspective.

I purchased a 17 RS2 this summer. Had HG already done.

Test drove 18 and, as others had said, could tell the front diff would only really be noticeable while tracking.

Also, the pseudo CF interior pieces turned me off of the 18.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
308 Posts
There shouldn't be any risks with buying a new 17. See if you can give it a test drive or just poke around it for damage from sitting around or the 25 miles of driving. Otherwise if everything checks out it should be good to go.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I picked up a 2017 for about $6K under MSRP a little over a month ago now. Car sat for 18 months at the dealer. Car has been flawless so far for over 3K miles. I don't think there's much risk TBH.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I would just wait until December. Every ford dealer that has the rs where it shows will be trying to get rid of it. I know there is a few in janesville brand new. Maybe your dealer is willing to trade for them. I reccomend an rs2. Every other option is optional, such as different rims, and sunroof. If you plan on driving it in the winter, just buy a set from tire rack instead of Ford. And if you are worried about reliability, just pay for the bumper to bumper 8 year warranty

·
Premium Member
3,291 Posts
Being from Georgia not sure you need the RS2 option unless you visit the north alot or need power seats with lumbar adjustment (seats are a little nicer). Doubt the heated seats, mirrors or steering wheel in Georgia is a big selling point. I have the RS1 in NC w/o sunroof as I wanted the lightest RS with most headroom (I hear the RS2 seats to not go as low as RS1, no numbers from those that have stated that that I've seen and I needed room for helmet and sunroof got in the way of that). Only you can determine what you need/want, just make it the most educated decision you can, we can't say if the deal is good or you or not, and likely we are biased to you getting one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Where are you guys finding all of these deals? I've been looking everywhere and the best I've seen so far is a used 17 (built in 16) for 34k with 6k miles on it. Of course I'm looking for black or grey with the rs2 package.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Where are you guys finding all of these deals? I've been looking everywhere and the best I've seen so far is a used 17 (built in 16) for 34k with 6k miles on it. Of course I'm looking for black or grey with the rs2 package.
Look on Ford’s site and also the typical auto sites (cars.com, etc.). Then just start calling dealers. Get a quote then call another dealer and see if they’ll do better. The longer the car has been sitting, the better the chance they’ll sell it at a loss. Just be willing to expand your search radius and start making calls. There are several
New cars listed on cars.com for $37K. A lot more for around $38K.

·
Registered
14 Posts
New 17 at 38k (before taxes) with the RS2 package, set of winter tires, and a 125k mile 7 year warranty (premium) a steal?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Would you guys pay 37k for a new 17 with RS2 package? Build date is 5/25/17.
It depends on what YOU want... color, year, options, current mileage...

I'm the opposite, I didn't want the RS2 pack: For me, it wasn't worth the cost when I couldn't get just the heated seats & heated steering wheel.

Maybe you could get them to knock another 1k off.....

.........................................................................................................................................................................

ZERO radiator fluid loss & no hiccups here....

I haven't gone in to do the headgasket test/replacement.... really paranoid with my RS that something might happen & it will never "be-the-same"....

·
Registered
20 Posts
New 17 at 38k (before taxes) with the RS2 package, set of winter tires, and a 125k mile 7 year warranty (premium) a steal?
I think that’s a really good deal. That’s a separate set of tires AND rims for winter? Plus the warranty. I’d be all over that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just tires...looking to make up another grand on my trade...I priced the warranty cost at around 1700.00 on one dealers site. Definitely wanted the RS2 package and it's in the color I want AND state I live in so I wont be paying any sales tax on my trade.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Is that the RS wheel and tire option? That's a great deal with the warranty, a good deal without the warranty.

Are you trading? They might try and claw back some of the deal with that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is that the RS wheel and tire option? That's a great deal with the warranty, a good deal without the warranty.

Are you trading? They might try and claw back some of the deal with that.
Comes with the RS2 wheels and a set of winter tires. Was going to trade but they didn't give me what I wanted. Im trying to get them down to 36k plus taxes without the warranty...I wont budge so hoping it works out.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts