Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just had an aftermarket headgasket fail on my sleeved and forged Mountune 2.3. While in the early stage of investigating what would have caused this failure, I am already considering a number of potential fixes to prevent this from occurring again. One of these is ringing the cylinder head.

Has anyone done this or have an educated view on whether ringing the head before I redeck the block and clamp it again would be worth doing?

Note; I don’t know yet whether the sleeves have dropped. If they have I will redeck the block to bring them back flush. It would be unlikely that they would drop again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
341 Posts
It’s called a Cooper ring (and no it’s not made of copper) aka Wills rings. It’s an oval shaped section with a cavity that is filled with gas. When crushed, the gas provide positive pressure that guarantees sealing but not as much as a good MLS. The problem is the groove. It’s a little hit and miss to figure out what exact depth in the deck or the head must be ground to provide the exact amount of clamping. At least that’s what my friend told me and he was working at HMRC, aka Heini Mader Racing Components, the outfit that built all Cosworth DVF F1 engines and last but not least the BMW Megatron. So YMMV depending on which friend you talk to. I’d personally say as far away as I can from Cooper rings and looks at MLS + proper clamping.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is why you don't use aftermarket head gaskets =). I don't know how much power you are making, but i've made 800whp, and pushed 50psi+ on the stock rs gasket without a gasket failure. it's pretty good. I've also tuned multiple 600whp+ 2.3 eco's with the stock rs gasket (my personal rs included). The aftermarket head gaskets Je, supertechs, cometic, etc. are what I normally see fail in built engines. It's why my builder hasn't used aftermarket gaskets in years. Also what headstuds are you using?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is why you don't use aftermarket head gaskets =). I don't know how much power you are making, but i've made 800whp, and pushed 50psi+ on the stock rs gasket without a gasket failure. it's pretty good. I've also tuned multiple 600whp+ 2.3 eco's with the stock rs gasket (my personal rs included). The aftermarket head gaskets Je, supertechs, cometic, etc. are what I normally see fail in built engines. It's why my builder hasn't used aftermarket gaskets in years. Also what headstuds are you using?
Used the JE Proseal gasket and CA 625 studs

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have just had an aftermarket headgasket fail on my sleeved and forged Mountune 2.3. While in the early stage of investigating what would have caused this failure, I am already considering a number of potential fixes to prevent this from occurring again. One of these is ringing the cylinder head.

Has anyone done this
Tune plus mention o-ringing with their cylinder head but I’m not familiar with the process unfortunately. You can read about it here:

·
Registered
708 Posts
Tune plus mention o-ringing with their cylinder head but I’m not familiar with the process unfortunately. You can read about it here:

I find Tune+’s statement “It is the only cylinder head on the market to incorporate and O-ringed deck.” to be inaccurate… Given Big Dog Ford Ecoboost Twin Scroll Cylinder Head
🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Used the JE Proseal gasket and CA 625 studs

Before you go all WCS the JE proseal HG for the RS uses the old style 2 hole design. I've questioned these aftermarket gaskets for years as it still creates the original issue the std "B" Ford gasket did, IE a blind alley for coolant at the bore bridge that cooks the coolant and leads to failure. Personally I don't think much of the OE "C" gasket either. I note Mountune have just released a HG for the RS that is a one hole design. Thats what I'd use.
O ringing the deck has been used for may years on race engines esp supercharged applications pre MLS days but a good MLS gasket is all the RS needs. The std Ford gasket is so good it seeps oil at the front of the block and needs sealant on it at 2 locations so it doesn't leak oil at the timing chain end. Nuff said.

Ciao

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Before you go all WCS the JE proseal HG for the RS uses the old style 2 hole design. I've questioned these aftermarket gaskets for years as it still creates the original issue the std "B" Ford gasket did, IE a blind alley for coolant at the bore bridge that cooks the coolant and leads to failure. Personally I don't think much of the OE "C" gasket either. I note Mountune have just released a HG for the RS that is a one hole design. Thats what I'd use.
O ringing the deck has been used for may years on race engines esp supercharged applications pre MLS days but a good MLS gasket is all the RS needs. The std Ford gasket is so good it seeps oil at the front of the block and needs sealant on it at 2 locations so it doesn't leak oil at the timing chain end. Nuff said.

Ciao
He had the suspect area o ringed or similar from memory. He went above and beyond to sort it.....

Reactions: Warriormonx

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
At this point thinking OEM or the revised Mountune ICR gasket + ringed head might be the plan. Will wait till later this week when the head gets yanked to see what the gasket tells us. If the sleeves have dropped that could have caused the issue also.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
He had the suspect area o ringed or similar from memory. He went above and beyond to sort it.....
In the original post he said he was now considering oringing the head, so I assume it hasn't been done.

Ciao

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Agreed. When it occurred my first thought was only how can I make sure I don’t have to sell this car. Whatever it takes I will do. I will never own a car like the RS ever again so I will research and rebuild.

Thanks lads for your comments and advice on this thread; I have noted and appreciate receiving it.

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
Agreed. When it occurred my first thought was only how can I make sure I don’t have to sell this car. Whatever it takes I will do. I will never own a car like the RS ever again so I will research and rebuild.

Thanks lads for your comments and advice on this thread; I have noted and appreciate receiving it.

Good choice.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In the original post he said he was now considering oringing the head, so I assume it hasn't been done.

Ciao
Had a custom fix for the timing chain cover end leak applied when I put the forged motor in. My tech will be keen to see how that held up when it pulls the head. Misfires were on cylinder 3 so nowhere near the fix; unlikely it was a cause but guess we will see.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

Ciao
Not the head, the shît oil leak situation is what I was referring to mate.
He did something different there to prevent the oil seep

Reactions: Warriormonx

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Post # 18, is what I was on about

1 - 20 of 21 Posts