Ford Focus RS Forum banner
61 - 80 of 135 Posts

Registered
2017 Black RS
Sounds good! I had been fighting an issue for a while, but the issue kept changing as I was throwing parts at it. The final issue was resolved after replacing my upstream o2, even though I had replaced it only about 500 miles before. I was going crazy, because I thought it couldn't have been the o2 since it was new, but my tuner told me to replace it again anyways. I guess it was DOA, or I fouled it somehow.

Registered
2017, Mk3 Focus RS. Stock, for now!
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Diagnostic reveals...P0327

Diagnostic points to both NoX sensors having faults. Booked in for replacements now.

quick Google says nox sensors can apparently cause crummy idle..... So hopefully this is the source of my issue at last. Will soon see!

Update to this. It was the knock sensors not NOx sensors.

I'm not confident this will resolve my original issue, rather I think this is a separate issue 馃槀 oh the joy!

Ford want to replace both knock sensors, total cost around 拢740. Thankfully, covered under my extended warranty with motoreasy.

(Shout out to motoreasy/if anyone is considering going with them, let me know so I can refer you, think you get a discount. My first time having to use it, but it was a good experience. Emailed motoreasy 4pm 23rd December and had an accepted claim decision back at 8:30am on Christmas eve)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Update to this. It was the knock sensors not NOx sensors.

I'm not confident this will resolve my original issue, rather I think this is a separate issue 馃槀 oh the joy!

Ford want to replace both knock sensors, total cost around 拢740. Thankfully, covered under my extended warranty with motoreasy.

(Shout out to motoreasy/if anyone is considering going with them, let me know so I can refer you, think you get a discount. My first time having to use it, but it was a good experience. Emailed motoreasy 4pm 23rd December and had an accepted claim decision back at 8:30am on Christmas eve)

And sadly, did not fix my issue.

Interestingly, I thought it did initially as my issue disappeared. But after about 10-15 miles of driving, it came back. I suspect Ford reset my KAM, so the car must have needed to learn things again. And I wonder now if the source of my problem is a dodgy sensor somewhere, that is feeding the ECU bad info. Because it seems strange the car is fine (after a suspected KAM reset) but then once it beds in, the issue returns

Question is, how the hell do I figure out which one. If all the sensors are reporting things are fine, but one of them is not reporting real values to the ECU, how the heck do I find that lol.

Just to recap my symptoms:
1)after light driving, I come to a stop and the idle will do from 700, to 500, to 700 back to 500 then steady out at 700/750
2) when I ease into the throttle, I get two light jerks forward, then smooth power delivery
3) when I release the throttle after being on it lightly, I get again a couple light jerks then it spools down normally
4) if I sit in first gear at 5mph, clutch fully released and no accelerator, most of the time the car just lurches back and forward increasingly violently, with the revs jumping from between 900 and 1300, up down up down and the car lurching/jerking back and forward. But if I then get on the gas and get it upto 8-9 mph, it smooths out, again though a bit of jerking when I initially get in the gas

Totally stumped/no DTCs generated by this

Open to any suggestions on what to try to check etc

Registered
2017 Black RS
That sucks that the issue is still there, but it sounds like you might be on to something at least! Are you able to reset your KAM to see if you can reproduce the issue going away? If that's consistent, then I'd agree with your suspicion of a failing sensor, and it would only be a sensor that's used during closed loop.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
That sucks that the issue is still there, but it sounds like you might be on to something at least! Are you able to reset your KAM to see if you can reproduce the issue going away? If that's consistent, then I'd agree with your suspicion of a failing sensor, and it would only be a sensor that's used during closed loop.
Hmm. Not sure how to reset the KAM to be honest. Do I need FORscan?

Regarding sensors used during closed loop - by any chance would you be able to list off what those are? I have a Carly OBD reader and night try to see if I can use that to look at life values 1 by 1 on particular sensors

Registered
2017 Black RS
Do you have an Cobb Access Port? If not, I'm sure there's a way to reset it... I'm just not aware of it.

For open loop sensors, I know the upstream o2 sensor, IAT, MAP, and the whole throttle body (since I don't think it's serviceable, and no separate TPS) are the main ones. I know there's some more, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
So update on this. Still stumped. No codes and still have the issue.

New symptom I notice though. If I drive the car hard with the A/C turned off, then pull over and just idle, the revs sit at 1500 consistently. But if I then flick the A/C on, they drop down to 500 and nearly stall, jump back to 750, then down to 500 again before then levelling off at 750 and idling normally.

Anyone any ideas of sensors that affect idle but also could be getting exposed to heat when I drive hard/giving out dodgy readings to the ECU? Long shot I know.... I was thinking have a punt at replacing the intake air temp sensor, but it'd be a complete punt and the part is like 拢130

Registered
2017 Black RS
The IAT should only be like $15-20, unless you're talking about the MAP-T sensor.

With your OBD tool, are you able to monitor the sensors... like what they temp sensor is saying during those times?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Nah, not changed the IAT yet. Pricey part

I'm wondering though, does anyone think my symptoms fit that of a vacuum leak? Problems definitely seen to be worse with a warmer ambient temperature too

Registered
17 Focus Rs white bone stock on coils
Mine is doin the same thing it鈥檚 a 17 with 18k on all stock untuned replaced the three parts that was discussed in the thread no codes and no CEL neither and still idles high coming to a stop in high ambient temp and starts to hunt for idle

Registered
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Mine is doin the same thing it鈥檚 a 17 with 18k on all stock untuned replaced the three parts that was discussed in the thread no codes and no CEL neither and still idles high coming to a stop in high ambient temp and starts to hunt for idle
I've still not found the solution sadly. Going for smoke test this afternoon though.

Premium Member
Smoke tests reveals all is good on that front
Reading through this from the start it seems you haven鈥檛 looked at the Evap purge valve is that correct?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Reading through this from the start it seems you haven鈥檛 looked at the Evap purge valve is that correct?
I replaced the evap purge valve yes. I heard some people had issues with the evap solenoid, but not sure if that's part of the evap purge assembly or not. The purge assembly itself, yes I've replaced that

Registered
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Here's a good video where the high idle is demonstrated.

I gave the accelerator a press upto about 3k revs. Then as you can see, even though I'm not on the accelerator, the revs go back down super slow. But once below 1000 revs, it just starts to rev itself back up. Then site at and holds 1500 revs.

That happens only when the A/C is turned off. If the A/C is on, I get the low idle/dips to 500 revs.

But if I go in gear and start raising the clutch, the 1500 revs drop down etc.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
here's a picture from my OBD app too. any recommendations on what sensors to check is appreciated. but you can see here that the computer is reading the situation right, it just doesn't know what's wrong/not throwing any codes
Sky Font Rectangle Electric blue Circle

Registered
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Oh boy... I can feel your pain, this would stress me right out.

1. Did you reset your keep alive memory(KAM) to clear your idle air trim learning? It's not required, but I do it any time I mess with something that could affect air trims. Clearing DTCs with a scan tool doesn't clear the KAM:
    View attachment 351423
  2. Did you wind up replacing your battery?
  3. Did you check your grounds?
  4. Any codes being thrown right now? (especially P0505,P0506,P0507)
  5. What are the values for the following parameters at low idle speed?
    • Coolant temp
    • RPM
    • Load
    • Throttle position
    • Accelerator Pedal Position
    • Ambient temperature
  6. What are the values for the same parameters at high idle speed?
  7. Any patterns you can spot in any of the above?
Got this from the OBD reader.
Sky Font Rectangle Electric blue Circle

throttle when idling normally (800 revs)
Font Screenshot Technology Number Software

Sky Font Electric blue Magenta Circle

Sky Font Rectangle Circle Magenta

Font Screenshot Darkness Number Rectangle

Throttle when idling high (1500 revs)
Font Screenshot Number Multimedia Software

Sky Font Electric blue Magenta Circle

Sky Font Circle Magenta Darkness

Font Slope Screenshot Number Terrestrial plant

61 - 80 of 135 Posts