Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

Below are snippets from the first round of reviews specific to car balance. I thought I'd compile it in one place to get a good overview. It's worth noting that reviewers were likely given the Pilot Cup 2's making the car a bit less willing to break traction. The GKN system is certainly living up to expectations so far. :triumphant:

Finding so much traction in the dry the RS simply fires itself away from corners without any sense of the rear axle breaking free (in the wet the RS can be made to slither around a little). The natural chassis balance is actually quite lively, though, so on the way into corners the rear axle will take on some attitude if you attack the apex hard. Set that way, if you then stand on the power very early the four-wheel drive system will convert that slight lift off oversteer into very gentle power oversteer — all within the constraints of the Sport ESC setting.

It’s compelling behaviour; exactly what we crave in those Haldex cars. It means the RS is more playful and exciting to drive than the other cars in this class, the only one that uses four-wheel drive to enliven the driving experience rather than merely add traction.
Evo Mag

Roll the car into an apex and there is some understeer — certainly in today’s cold, greasy conditions — but whereas a Golf R or Audi S3 might at best stabilize the push and drive into a nice neutral stance, the RS offers so many more options: Stay on the power and the understeer quickly dissolves, the outside rear wheel driving the front tires — here the optional and superb Michelin Pilot Cup 2s — back onto line. That gives you confidence to commit further to the throttle and as the corner opens out, the RS ebbs easily into proper power oversteer. There’s an adjustability that the Golf R, S3, or even the Subaru WRX STI can’t match. Winding on opposite lock in a Ford Focus, right foot pinned to the bulkhead, is a strange but satisfying new sensation.
Automobile

In ‘Sport’ or ‘Track’ it adopts a far more neutral mid-corner stance and makes the most of the traction. You can feel the outside rear wheel receiving its torque delivery and driving you through the corners, too, while the front axle is tucked in with dabs of brake to the inside wheel. It takes some recalibration of your brain because whereas hot-hatches normally require trail-braking or sudden lifts of the throttle to eradicate understeer, the RS tightens its line the more throttle you apply.
Top Gear

Upping the pace on Lommel’s longer corners demonstrates that, at the point when the front end of a Focus ST would start to run wide, the RS’s clever rear end starts to help out and bring the car back onto your chosen line. The rear wheels are driven slightly faster than the fronts under hard cornering, creating some of the same sense of edginess you get in a powerful rear-drive car. Push beyond this dynamic sweet spot and what happens next depends on which of the driving modes is selected. In Normal, the RS tries to stay as neutral as Belgium itself, while Sport allows a hint of drift from the rear. Track permits some well-contained power oversteer.
Car and Driver

In Normal and Sport modes the car just goes beautifully neutral as you unwind the steering and squeeze the accelerator, already feeling more directionally poised than the four-wheel-drive hot hatch norm and without allowing the rear axle to run riot, or imposing on you for a significant steering correction.

Track mode keeps the tyre tracks in line, with an understandable eye on high-speed stability.
Autocar

Paired with slightly greasy roads, the rear-drive element of this family-friendly projectile couldn’t be more obvious. Even before you’ve switched the stability control to its more lenient setting, the RS is eager to get that back end working; in ESC Sport it instantly offers easy-peasy lift-off adjustment and showboating slithers of corner-exit power oversteer.
car magazine

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks for the share! I can't wait to see what owners of S2K's and other great handling cars would have to say about this car when they receive and begin driving it.

·
Registered
627 Posts
One of the articles I read said that they were on sports and if they had cups it would have been overkill

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yup I read a few of them and I am quite glad that the reviews seem to be coming out favorable and that I ordered the car now...

·
5,582 Posts
Thnx for this.
Question, would this drift mode give much better lap times than other non drift mode cars given it slides around corners instead of trying to control the corner?
Thnx

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you are drifting, why would you be concerned about lap times? Drifting is a subjective competition, not a timed event.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Drifting will never give you faster lap times on tarmac. Period. Drifting is not for speed. It's for enjoyment and showmanship and for if you can't see the turn ahead and come in too hot. Given that drift mode was developed on tarmac for tarmac, I find it difficult to believe that it would give any real advantage on a loose surface either.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Thnx for this.
Question, would this drift mode give much better lap times than other non drift mode cars given it slides around corners instead of trying to control the corner?
Thnx
I think you will get your best times driving in "Track" mode. They wouldn't let the Car Reviewers drive the closed circuit in "Drift" mode because it is a sales gimmick and its main purpose is Hooning.

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Drifting will never give you faster lap times on tarmac. Period. Drifting is not for speed. It's for enjoyment and showmanship and for if you can't see the turn ahead and come in too hot. Given that drift mode was developed on tarmac for tarmac, I find it difficult to believe that it would give any real advantage on a loose surface either.
Drifitng no, but on loose surface breaking traction is all apart of the game. You are faster sliding then you are gripping on loose surface only. It is due to the inconsistency and adjusting at the limit, if you were always to stay with in the traction limit you would be driving a lot slower, and when you do loose traction on a loose surface it does not scrub speed like tarmac, and honestly you can induce a slide and notice no change in speed, just direction depending on the surface. Rally driving is not drifting though. You make small adjustments to your line and the vehicle.

Driving on a loose surface is basically the opposite of driving on Tarmac, it took me a good 2 days to wrap my head around it. Left foot braking, late apex lines, get all the turning done before the turn, always changing conditions. When your done, you sit there and ask yourself how the hell am I going to practice this. It gave me a reason to love snow even more :)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Drifitng no, but on loose surface breaking traction is all apart of the game. You are faster sliding then you are gripping on loose surface only. It is due to the inconsistency and adjusting at the limit, if you were always to stay with in the traction limit you would be driving a lot slower, and when you do loose traction on a loose surface it does not scrub speed like tarmac, and honestly you can induce a slide and notice no change in speed, just direction depending on the surface. Rally driving is not drifting though. You make small adjustments to your line and the vehicle.

Driving on a loose surface is basically the opposite of driving on Tarmac, it took me a good 2 days to wrap my head around it. Left foot braking, late apex lines, get all the turning done before the turn, always changing conditions. When your done, you sit there and ask yourself how the hell am I going to practice this. It gave me a reason to love snow even more :)
I meant I didn't think that Drift mode would give you any advantage on loose surfaces compared to vehicles without it that would be drifting manually, which was more or less what the question was asking.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Drifting is for .......

For Hooning :topsy_turvy: , you Hoonigan :D

YMMV,

MidCow3

1 - 11 of 11 Posts