Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Full disclosure: Tomek of Nutron Promoto provided me a “drive devICE update”, which upgraded my drift devICE dongle to the latest drift+drive devICE, free of charge in exchange for this review and some beta testing. This review is only for the “drive” update for the dongle. My review of the drift devICE can be found here:

Review: Nutron ProMoto Drift devICE

What is it?
It is a dongle that plugs into your OBDII port that can do a number of things for you automatically on start-up:
-Select which drive mode your car goes into
-Select Sport ESP engaged or not
-Disable auto start/stop function
-”On demand” launch control
-Allow display of live tire pressure, RDU and PTU temperature monitoring via web app on a device (IOS, Android etc.)

More details here: https://promoto.nutron.pl/en/nutron-drive-device-ford-focus-rs-mk3.html

Installation: Getting the update was pretty straight forward and involved a remote desktop session with Tomek. From that point on, updating the dongle to the latest software version was done via OTA, requiring power to the dongle (via USB) and a device with a mobile hotspot. Tomek walked me through the set-up and initiation, and once that process was started, the update was quick and easy.

Features
Web app: The main way you access the settings for the device is via a web app. You access the dongle via wifi using the browser on your device, so no IOS/Android app limitation. Here you can change all the settings for the features mentioned above as well as view the live monitoring. Changing the settings is very simple and is set-up as little on/off “toggle switches”. There is also a very handy help menu to tell you what the settings do.

Live monitoring: The live monitoring looks nice and refreshes relatively quickly. Having my phone on a proclip mount made it very easy to quickly glance at it while driving. Since I do not have TMPSs installed on my wheels, I wasn’t able to try that feature out. On the other hand, I was able to view the PTU and RDU temps. Unsurprisingly, both temps just steadily went up as I drove the car around on the street. I did notice that the PTU temps tended to run hotter than the RDU on regular street driving, which isn’t too surprising considering the car runs as a FWD most of the time. Taking corners aggressively and powering out of them did cause the RDU temps to go up. I had intended to test it out on the track but my trackday was cancelled due to COVID19. It would be pretty interesting to watch these numbers at the track and see how your tires warm up or what readings you get when an RDU shut down occurs. I’ll update this review in the future when I do get the chance to test that. Speaking of which, a data logging feature would also be nice.

Drive mode selection: This is by far my favorite feature. Although I’m fine driving in “normal” mode most of the time, I really like having the option of setting the device to “last”/”previous mode”, which puts the car in the last drive mode it was in before shutting down. This was very handy when I was out on a canyon run since I like to take a few stops/breaks to stretch my legs and take-in the scenery. I was able to jump back in and continue with my drive without having to fiddle with the drive mode button to get back into “sport” mode. I can see it having the same benefit when out on the track, not having to reselect “track” mode every time you jump in and head out to your next session.

Auto Start/Stop: Having the start/stop disabled was not really a feature I needed since I didn’t mind it. Those who have a Cobb AP know that this can be disabled via a tune, but for those that do not have a tune and prefer not having to hit that start/stop button every time they get it, this is a pretty nice feature.

“On-demand”/”always on” launch control: Similar to the start/stop feature, this is something that can be enabled on a tune, but for those who are stock and like using, another “nice to have”, particularly since this feature probably takes the most number of “keystrokes” to get to. I personally have only used launch control 2-3 times ever, so not a feature I would be using, but it works as advertised.

ESP engagement: Same as above, not a feature I would typically use, but works as advertised. I can see this being handy for those who usually like to set it to “sport”. I think a better feature would be a setting for having it completely disabled, for trackdays or to go hand in hand with setting it to “drift” mode.

The Bad
Battery drain: Having the dongle constantly plugged in means having that little bit of extra parasitic drain. Having a Shorai lightweight battery definitely didn’t help me either, resulting in a dead battery after the car sat undriven over a weekend. I’ve since taken Tomek’s recommendation of installing an on/off switchable OBDII adapter like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/AUTOOL-Profile-Extension-Windshield-Display/dp/B07R9SKRDM/ref=sr_1_23?crid=1087RPDDRH191&dchild=1&keywords=obd2+on+off+switch&qid=1591898532&sprefix=on+off+obd,aps,217&sr=8-23

This helped reduce the chance of battery drain, but I have to constantly remember to turn it on/off, which sort of defeats the purpose of having all the “work” done for you by the dongle.

As of the release of this review, Nutron has updated their instructions with recommendations of removing the unit when the car will be sitting for more than 2 (old or lightweight battery) to 10 (new battery). I’ve been told that there is a “fix” for this in the works that involves plugging to a different location, which would free up the OBDII and should allow it to only power on when the ignition is on.

Live monitoring issue: During testing, I had a re-ocurring issue where I was not able to reconnect to the dongle and reload the live monitoring using my phone (Android) after turning the car off and back on again. I tested this with 2 other devices (both also Android) with the same result. I brought this issue up with Tomek and he mentions that he has not had this issue with other users/testers, so this may be a localized issue with my unit. I have since shipped my unit back to him for further investigation.

TLDR: Great device for saving you all those “key strokes” for getting to your favorite drive mode, launch control, auto start/stop and ESP settings. Battery drain can be an issue, but having an OBD2 “switch” adapter can alleviate it somewhat (but you still have to remember to turn it on/off). Live monitoring is “nice” but I had some issues with it, but maybe a localized issue to my unit.

BONUS: Drift stick update
I was very excited to hear from Tomek that they have been able to set-up the device to be functional with the Ford Performance Drift Stick as well. To those who have read my previous review, this was my one wish-list item. The update allowed me to use the drift devICE with my drift stick, allowing me to activate the rear brakes without having to pull the actual hand brake lever. This also allowed me to use the drift stick in all the drive modes. Very much looking forward to giving this a try on my next rallycross event. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
244 Posts
@BigFatFlip great review! really appreciate it thanks!

@TomekRST - this batter drain fix that's in the works, would that be a separate future buy? aside from the unit itself? where else is their an OBD port?, bit confused on this. Also, for the firmware update, is that a contact you only thing? or can you ensure firmware is updated for all units that are freshly ordered? and, is their a change log?

*side note, does this have any affect on the use of android auto at all? haven't run into a scenario where I would need to be a hotspot + direct connect capability needed for android auto. assuming this isn't an issue, but curious non the less.

·
Registered
31 Posts
*side note, does this have any affect on the use of android auto at all? haven't run into a scenario where I would need to be a hotspot + direct connect capability needed for android auto. assuming this isn't an issue, but curious non the less.
I have not had any problems with it interfering with Carplay, so I would suspect Android Auto would work the same. The one issue I have had, with iphone at least, is that theres about a 50% chance whether my phone prompts to ask whether I'd like to use cellular data while connected to the WiFi device. If it does not ask, then I am not able to use LTE data and can not download new navigation info, or stream music without turning off WiFi and subsequently loosing the temperature and tire pressure monitoring features of the web based app.

I do really like the device overall though. Its nice not having to push the buttons at start up and its nice having real time tire pressures. I was at a track day last weekend and it was really helpful knowing my pressures and oil temps during the sessions (oil temps were way to high... water temp was fine).

The "shortcuts" app for iphone is great. I created automation tasks that automatically launch Waze, then the Nutron web app once my phone is plugged into the car. Works nearly flawlessly.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have not had any problems with it interfering with Carplay, so I would suspect Android Auto would work the same. The one issue I have had, with iphone at least, is that theres about a 50% chance whether my phone prompts to ask whether I'd like to use cellular data while connected to the WiFi device. If it does not ask, then I am not able to use LTE data and can not download new navigation info, or stream music without turning off WiFi and subsequently loosing the temperature and tire pressure monitoring features of the web based app.

I do really like the device overall though. Its nice not having to push the buttons at start up and its nice having real time tire pressures. I was at a track day last weekend and it was really helpful knowing my pressures and oil temps during the sessions (oil temps were way to high... water temp was fine).

The "shortcuts" app for iphone is great. I created automation tasks that automatically launch Waze, then the Nutron web app once my phone is plugged into the car. Works nearly flawlessly.
Thanks for the verification!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't have any issues with Android Auto at all. Google maps works like normal. Haven't tried spotify, but my podcast app works, although I usually have my podcasts pre-downloaded.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Didn't have any issues with Android Auto at all. Google maps works like normal. Haven't tried spotify, but my podcast app works, although I usually have my podcasts pre-downloaded.
When plugged in can you put the access door back on or does it stick out to far?

·
Registered
255 Posts
BONUS: Drift stick update
I was very excited to hear from Tomek that they have been able to set-up the device to be functional with the Ford Performance Drift Stick as well. To those who have read my previous review, this was my one wish-list item. The update allowed me to use the drift devICE with my drift stick, allowing me to activate the rear brakes without having to pull the actual hand brake lever. This also allowed me to use the drift stick in all the drive modes. Very much looking forward to giving this a try on my next rallycross event. Stay tuned!
Just to verify, you can leave your FP drift stick bolted to the seat, and the electric switch that connects to the OBDII still works with the devICE? This would sell me on the devICE instantly.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When plugged in can you put the access door back on or does it stick out to far?
No, you won't be able to close the door when it is plugged in. You will have to pop-out the obdii port like in the video below

You can then plug-in the dongle, tuck it back up and close the door.
Just to verify, you can leave your FP drift stick bolted to the seat, and the electric switch that connects to the OBDII still works with the devICE? This would sell me on the devICE instantly.
Correct, you can leave the drift stick in as-is. You will have to get an ob2 splitter to plug in both the drift stick and the devICE, then turn off a setting in the settings menu on the web app. Turn off traction control and uou'll then be able to trigger the rear brakes just like regular drift stick operation.

·
Registered
187 Posts
@BigFatFlip great review! really appreciate it thanks!

@TomekRST - this batter drain fix that's in the works, would that be a separate future buy? aside from the unit itself? where else is their an OBD port?, bit confused on this. Also, for the firmware update, is that a contact you only thing? or can you ensure firmware is updated for all units that are freshly ordered? and, is their a change log?
There are a few ”OBD” (CAN) cables in the car. We are going to add OBD2 port to one of them. It will be Plug&Play solution an yes as a separate future buy.

Regarding to devICE units, all units are OTA updates ready.

·
Registered
187 Posts
No, you won't be able to close the door when it is plugged in. You will have to pop-out the obdii port like in the video below

You can then plug-in the dongle, tuck it back up and close the door.Correct, you can leave the drift stick in as-is. You will have to get an ob2 splitter to plug in both the drift stick and the devICE, then turn off a setting in the settings menu on the web app. Turn off traction control and uou'll then be able to trigger the rear brakes just like regular drift stick operation.
Moreover, you can unplug FP Drift Stick completely and still have a ABS rear breaking using OEM hand brake lever. Up to you.

·
Registered
2017 FoRS mk3
89 Posts
Sorry, i was referring to the flash.
You wrote about and easier way, than borrow a flash device from you, and ship it back after use.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
This post is my experience of how the remote flash works in places such as Australia.

I have now got my stuff from tomek including the remote flash device. You need the flash remote device to program modules in the car so the nutron dongle works. The process to flash the car remotely is a bit complex and requires good wireless. I did this by using my home Wi-Fi for the download of the very large files required, over 2GB, and download and install of vmware and TeamViewer. This let Tomek remote in and control the dongle through the installed virtual machine. We tested this inside. Actual programming was done using 4G mobile. You will need the old usb mini cable for the laptop to flash dongle, not supplied. This is the connector prior to usb c.

All went well. Took one hour preset up to download and configure on my part prior to Tomeks active involvement. Then Tomek logged into laptop to access the special dongle he sent me. In Australia started config with Tomek 10pm finished 11pm cause of time differences. Freezing in my unit basement carpark though. Very happy with result.

How does it feel. First it is interlocked using esc and only works with esc fully off, sensible. It works as expected. I'm used to hydraulic handbrake with a small but noticeable transition. The instaswitch effect is interesting, either on or off. For me I prefer the slight ability to modulate a true rally hydraulic handbrake but this is great too. Just have to learn it.

In Australia started config with Tomek 10pm finished 11pm cause of time differences.

I have the flash dongle and a set up laptop. If anyone in Australia buys the drift device I am happy to help you set it up if you want to come to Canberra. Alternatively I can send you the flash dongle. Tomek has asked me to hold it for a while so it is easy for anyone in Australia to get flashed. How many people in Australia are thinking of getting this, let me know by dm and I'll report here.

Overall very satisfied. Complex but smooth. No hangups.

·
Registered
244 Posts
For everyone getting this, definitely worth it! However, highly highly recommend the dongle switch, having to unplug/replug is extremely annoying. I've forgotten about it a few times now, risking battery drain.

@TomekRST what is the latest firmware version?

Also, one question, if I select track mode as the default startup how can I turn off ECS and dampeners when selecting track mode by default?

Any ideas on how to launch the 192x site automatically when starting up the car Via Android? I find sometimes I have to disable the wifi connection to the device in order to get internet connection for things such as music streaming.

Last thing, is it normal to get drive mode selection unavailable intermittently? I've gotten it 3x over a month of use, never once had it popup before using the device. Thoughts?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi.

first of all we developed extra (after ignition switch) OBD2 extension cord. It means no more battery drying problem for our dongle and other OBD dongles as well. Price should be around 25$ (50% off for our dongle owners to compensate shipping cost). ETA - September 2020.

Regarding to drive mode not available issue. It is common RS problem and dongle is not a source of it. Most of them are caused by problems with active exhaust valve motor.

Latest firmware version is 2.0.1

1 - 16 of 16 Posts