Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

so i bought myself a Raceseng R-Lock and wanted to install that today, after watching videos i was sure it would be a piece of cake, but when i removed the shift boot trim the reverse lock assembly (black plastic) seems to be stuck on tight to the shifter arm, i can wiggle it, but trying to remove it out upwards with more strength it would stay on pretty tight, anyone else have this issue? the videos i saw had the assembly attached to the whole shift boot as a piece and would just slide out but not mine!

attached photo Vehicle Car Auto part Personal luxury car Windshield
Vehicle Car Auto part Vehicle door
Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Auto part Family car
Vehicle Car Vehicle door Personal luxury car Auto part

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Hmmm...The shift boot and reverse lock out mechanism usually just slides out like the video below:

You'll have to take both off the shifter in order to get that piece off since those "ears" need to be turn 90 degrees and "spread open" to get it off.

Check out these instructions: http://images.rallysportdirect.com/...5_Focus_RS_and_ST_Shift_Boot_Instructions.pdf

I would say feel around underneath the mechanism to see if it's getting hung up on anything. Are you in neutral?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Part 1 needs to line up with 2, it looks to me that the notch (part 2) has to be aligned with the solid piece (part 1) for it to slip over it ?? View attachment 338921
I believe you have to slide the whole assembly off the shift lever in order to rotate that and separate the 2 pieces.

·
Registered
290 Posts
If you have the plastic notch lined up with the metal barb on the shifter it will get Tight to remove. I used some lithium grease and it slid right over the and off the shift lever.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Old thread, but for anyone else reading this, yep as above I would suggest making sure you're in neutral, and if you scroll up to the picture above, where the "2" is drawn on the photo make sure that bit is straight and then I just put fingers either side of it and just gave it a firm pull and it slides up off a set of plastic "rails?" / grooves? - I don't know how to describe them best but they're not clipped in or anything like that. My suspicion is on the video old mate has maybe removed and reinstalled his and then removed again for the video hence it comes off easier. Also, maybe the previous owner of mine had an aftermarket knob or maybe it's a limited edition thing, but that spring grommet setup was reversed on mine, so the spring didn't come out with the knob. I have the carbon fiber knob and the reverse lockout works fine so..."if it works"!

Anyway, if you're reading this, as with the above keep at it, have a little patience and should be sweet. I was hesitant myself as I considered the real possibility of screwing it up and then not being able to reassemble and reverse out of the garage!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts