Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So can Rev-matching be programmed in with a tune or does it require additional software/hardware? Is there any aftermarket kits to do this?
Porsche, BMW, Corvette all offer this.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
What is Rev matching and why do you want it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
What is Rev matching and why do you want it?

Rev matching increases or decreases your RPM to match the speed your car is going to the RPM needed in the new gear you are shifting to, to maintain the current car speed.

Why would you want it?

If you downshift to a lower gear and don't increase your RPM you car will dramatically slow down as if you had braked fairly hard.

If you upshift to a higher gear and don't let off it will try to increase too fast and will "lug" and "buck".

Many of you, if you have been driving manuals awhile, automatically increase or decrease your RPM when you shift. ...And when an experienced driver first tries rev matching it somewhat spooks them or so I am told.

Now synchronizers is another it has the gear you are shifting to spinning at the correct speed; before synchonizers you had to double-clutch.

So rev matching means you shift to the next gear and let out the clutch without having to worry anout giving the car more or less gas to change the RPM; it is automatic.

YMMV,

MidCow3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
12 Posts
Indeed, certain manufacturers incorporate rev-matching software in their vehicles, however, In my opinion only, Rev matching is only useful in certain applications. Sure, you can sound cool and impress your mates on the streets by blipping the throttle or heel-toeing, however, any benefit is best suited to a circuit type application for mine.

As I'm a bit of a purist, I would prefer manually rev-matching as opposed to letting a computer do it for you.

Each to their own in this case.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
OK I have just been doing that myself for the past 30 years. I had to disable that in my '00 STV Contour. If you really want.to have some fun drive a non synchro manual transmission vehicle .

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
My RS will have it. It'll be called my right foot. Just like all my other cars... ;)

·
Registered
239 Posts
wait they make such black magic? I'm going to have an interesting transition..

·
Registered
574 Posts
Rev match: where is the art?

I tell my kids - Do good to feel good! (Stu-pid man! There's a button or a pill that'll do that for you.)

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
wait they make such black magic? I'm going to have an interesting transition..
I hate the systems and actually was so turned off by it that I stopped considering a car because of it.

If it can be disabled (and stays off or on not resets every time you start the car) I'd be ok with it, but thankfully I do not believe that the RS has it anyways.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Given the difficulty that others were talking about pedal placement and the difficulty of doing heel-toe, was just asking if possible to 'tune' this into a car? It is my understanding that the pedal placement on the RS will be better and allow heel-toe easier...However, not everyone is an expert shifter and I think the wife would appreciate it if it was an option that's all. I know there are purist out there that rather roll down there own Windows and push a physical button to lock the doors, but tech is what tech is, so the question remains...can you tune in rev-matching or not?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I've never driven a car that had rev-matching, and I like to think I'd prefer a car without it... but that's with the S2000 with great pedal placement and instant throttle response (almost as responsive as a sport bike's throttle!). If the pedals are oddly placed and the turbo'd engine is a bit delayed in its response to a throttle blip I might think differently =]

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
It would be fun to play with, but I'm so use to doing it myself and am stuck in my ways. It would be a fun option to turn off and on to prove to your father Inlaw that your not doing it just to annoy him.

image.jpg

Thinking maybe I build my driveway like this. The RS looks so good on it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
OK I have just been doing that myself for the past 30 years. I had to disable that in my '00 STV Contour. If you really want.to have some fun drive a non synchro manual transmission vehicle .

Sent from my SAMSUNG

Very true. I have very fond memories crash shifting without any clutch engagement back in the day. Easy way to destroy a perfect gearbox though if the revs were not matched though.....:(

·
Registered
197 Posts
Alright everyone, heres my 2 cents, having owned a 370z with Rev Matching for well over a year (daily driven)

It is a very good tool to help people who struggle with rev matching under hard acceleration/deceleration, or people new to driving stick. It works especially well and i mean it works perfect. It probably would help everyone at some point no man is perfect but the rev matching is, could even shave a little bit of time off your lap times (crazy i know, but computers are better than people and we arent all formula one drivers)

All you people on your high horses cursing this peasant technology fear not, it is a feature that CAN be disabled and turned off at the push of a button,

It does not limit your shift gates at all you can drop from 6th to 2nd If you wanted, it willl rev match it, obviously that is a extreme example but it helps show what im saying

When i first had it, yes it was a weird sensation at first, but it grows on you, especially in traffic, it was something i turned on and off depending on my mood, i never lost the sensation of being one with the car with it on, yes all experienced people who have many years driving stick do it through pure muscle memory, including myself, but everyone has those days they are tired, sick, broken, whatever where it could be useful, and to people who struggle with heel toe, or rev matching its a very helpful tool

Id be happy to answer any questions any of you,

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Given the difficulty that others were talking about pedal placement and the difficulty of doing heel-toe, was just asking if possible to 'tune' this into a car? It is my understanding that the pedal placement on the RS will be better and allow heel-toe easier...However, not everyone is an expert shifter and I think the wife would appreciate it if it was an option that's all. I know there are purist out there that rather roll down there own Windows and push a physical button to lock the doors, but tech is what tech is, so the question remains...can you tune in rev-matching or not?
It is more then just a program. The vehicles that have Rev-match come equipped with a sensor in the shifter to tell the ECM which gear you are selecting. My FoST kind of has a helper that holds the revs for the next gear for a second or two, but is not perfect and you can tell it is about 100rpms off, almost seems like it does that on purpose to let you know you need to be a wee bit quicker with releasing the clutch. This system only assumes you are selecting the next highest gear and does not do anything on downshifts.

Rev-matching although I love it and a very rewarding feeling is not needed. Very rarely do I find the need to downshift, I drive my vehicle in lower gears anyways and cruise around town at 3k ( I still average 24mpgs city and I drive very aggressive) . When I pull up to a light and I'm lazy I stick it in neutral or keep the clutch pressed in. Rev-matching is easier on the vehicle but when your talking 6-5 or 5-4 shifts the difference in RPMS is not enough to really raise concern. I personally rev-match on every shift, up and down but I know many people who don't, it is something to practice, but not a must. If you want to get better though it should be incorporated into your everyday driving, my ST is very temperamental and the revs drop at different rates depending on engine and ambient temp, the point is to get to a level where feel and sound is all you need to anticipate the next gear(the ST was so isolated from the driver stock I felt nothing until I changed all 3 motor mounts) . As far as heel&toe go, if you are not threshold braking then you can do with out if pedal placement is a concern, but again a very rewarding experience.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Technically power windows are sometimes lighter than manual windows! :)

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
It is more then just a program. The vehicles that have Rev-match come equipped with a sensor in the shifter to tell the ECM which gear you are selecting. My FoST kind of has a helper that holds the revs for the next gear for a second or two, but is not perfect and you can tell it is about 100rpms off, almost seems like it does that on purpose to let you know you need to be a wee bit quicker with releasing the clutch. This system only assumes you are selecting the next highest gear and does not do anything on downshifts.

Rev-matching although I love it and a very rewarding feeling is not needed. Very rarely do I find the need to downshift, I drive my vehicle in lower gears anyways and cruise around town at 3k ( I still average 24mpgs city and I drive very aggressive) . When I pull up to a light and I'm lazy I stick it in neutral or keep the clutch pressed in. Rev-matching is easier on the vehicle but when your talking 6-5 or 5-4 shifts the difference in RPMS is not enough to really raise concern. I personally rev-match on every shift, up and down but I know many people who don't, it is something to practice, but not a must. If you want to get better though it should be incorporated into your everyday driving, my ST is very temperamental and the revs drop at different rates depending on engine and ambient temp, the point is to get to a level where feel and sound is all you need to anticipate the next gear(the ST was so isolated from the driver stock I felt nothing until I changed all 3 motor mounts) . As far as heel&toe go, if you are not threshold braking then you can do with out if pedal placement is a concern, but again a very rewarding experience.
When you come to a stop and are in neutral, release the clutch please :) Much better for the throwout bearings lifespan.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Alright everyone, heres my 2 cents, having owned a 370z with Rev Matching for well over a year (daily driven)

It is a very good tool to help people who struggle with rev matching under hard acceleration/deceleration, or people new to driving stick. It works especially well and i mean it works perfect. It probably would help everyone at some point no man is perfect but the rev matching is, could even shave a little bit of time off your lap times (crazy i know, but computers are better than people and we arent all formula one drivers)

All you people on your high horses cursing this peasant technology fear not, it is a feature that CAN be disabled and turned off at the push of a button,

It does not limit your shift gates at all you can drop from 6th to 2nd If you wanted, it willl rev match it, obviously that is a extreme example but it helps show what im saying

When i first had it, yes it was a weird sensation at first, but it grows on you, especially in traffic, it was something i turned on and off depending on my mood, i never lost the sensation of being one with the car with it on, yes all experienced people who have many years driving stick do it through pure muscle memory, including myself, but everyone has those days they are tired, sick, broken, whatever where it could be useful, and to people who struggle with heel toe, or rev matching its a very helpful tool

Id be happy to answer any questions any of you,
Great input and thanks! I'd be interested for 2 reasons.

1) Pedal placement looks to be thought out about as well as shifter placement.

2) My f'n size 13's can be hard to navigate in the pedal box.

My track car is set up where heel/toe is no problem at all. I'm not awesome at it, but I can manage if I have driving shoes on. Even with Van's or Nikes, there's just to much shoe down there. I rev match sometimes on the street, but it's usually just a blip of the throttle and not full on heel-toe like on track threshold braking. If it can be turned off, I think it'd be a neat feature to have tuned in. If I just had a size 9 shoe and proper pedal placement in all my cars, I'd probably think different.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
About this Discussion
66 Replies
27 Participants
Crooked Letta
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing