Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on a road trip in my RS thru desert land. I opened-it-up a few times, and each time the rev limiter cut in at 120 mph. Elevation was about 4,000 ft. I expected to be able to go faster than 120 mph!

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
You sure it’s the rev limiter? What gear were you in?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I've gone WAY past 120, many, many times.

Reactions: WVRS

·
Premium Member
3,823 Posts
My guess is your key is setup as a mykey with a speed limit coded to it
That is what it sounds like.

OP, find a racetrack try again and use the other key to the car. Don't do these runs on public roads.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm not sure with this car but not all cars have a "rababababa" rev break up sound at rev limit. Some go smooth just like a speed limiter. My 370Z does this when I pass with a 3rd or 4th gear pull. It just smooths and doesn't progress after 7500rpm. Just saying.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I'm not sure with this car but not all cars have a "rababababa" rev break up sound at rev limit. Some go smooth just like a speed limiter. My 370Z does this when I pass with a 3rd or 4th gear pull. It just smooths and doesn't progress after 7500rpm. Just saying.
When you hit the rev-limiter in my GTA its like someone hit the brakes, especially in 1st and 2nd because it accelerates so much harder in those gears and the sudden absence of it is like a slap to the back of the head. And its REALLY easy to hit the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd because it spins up so fast.

Half the time in 1st I shift by 6500, because I know I'll never shift in time if I take it all the way to 7000rpm. I've hit the 7200 limiter a few times when trying to run it out in 1st. 2nd can still catch you out if you get distracted.

The RS is similar when I have hit the limiter. Usually that happens because I'm racing some ungodly loud car and I can't hear the RS over the Cammed Full exhaust Corvette. So the car suddenly stops accelerating and you look down and realize it hit 6700rpm, then you shift and go "lol, oops!" The RS is quiet as a mouse fart.

• Haha
Reactions: NISMO_IX

·
Registered
287 Posts
When you hit the rev-limiter in my GTA its like someone hit the brakes, especially in 1st and 2nd because it accelerates so much harder in those gears and the sudden absence of it is like a slap to the back of the head. And its REALLY easy to hit the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd because it spins up so fast.

Half the time in 1st I shift by 6500, because I know I'll never shift in time if I take it all the way to 7000rpm. I've hit the 7200 limiter a few times when trying to run it out in 1st. 2nd can still catch you out if you get distracted.

The RS is similar when I have hit the limiter. Usually that happens because I'm racing some ungodly loud car and I can't hear the RS over the Cammed Full exhaust Corvette. So the car suddenly stops accelerating and you look down and realize it hit 6700rpm, then you shift and go "lol, oops!" The RS is quiet as a mouse fart.
Haven't had the experience of hitting the rev limiter on this car yet. I tend to shift rather early with a stock tune as it's power seems to dump off rather early. The Z just sounds mean in higher revs and power is off at 7000, with a 7500 limit, it happens pretty quickly. But again that is usually 3rd or 4th, so may be same if happened in 1st or 2nd.

Not to derail but is the GTA a Alpha Romeo Giulia GTA? Those are nice, the only car comes to mind when I hear GTA.

Edit: I just looked up 89 GTA, I assume you are talking about the Trans Am?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didn’t say you were. I was stating it should not do that unless you did not upshift.
Something is up. Any chance it was a used car? Maybe a valet tune? Those limit boost or speed or rev limit?
Bought the cart new. What is a "valet tune"? I don't track or abuse the vehicle. Seem fine driving with everyday spirited driving under 120 mph.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts