Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Replacing rear diff unit

9K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  PAWEL RS2017 
#1 ·
Hello,
I need to replace the rear diff unit (from an accident) I was available to get the unit from Ford. Does anyone know if it would already come filled with gear oil and ready to go? I would assume that it would not. I know it also needs to have the additive as well.

Thanks!

Discussion starter · #5 ·
I just pulled the inspection plug off and it looks like it is full of fluid. I also pulled the one off the top and it has fluid as well. So it looks to already have the correct amount of fluid in it. One thing I did notice though is that when you turn the front (where the driveshaft attaches) it is a good bit harder to turn than the one I took out. is this because the unit is new?

Discussion starter · #12 ·
Okay. When i put the cv shaft in the side and turn it, it feels fine just the driveshaft mount up front. It may change once it's actually plugged into the car. Just don't want to ruin anything.

Discussion starter · #19 ·
Okay and this is something a Ford dealer has to do? I know someone who has dealer like scan tools. Is there a step by step procedure for this? I can't really move the car as it's in my garage. In the accident the 2 rear tabs were broken off.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
I am not sure how much the programming will cost. A few hundred I would assume. I bought the car wrecked from the previous owner so it wasn't me this time. Hope to get it going soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.