Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I need to replace the rear diff unit (from an accident) I was available to get the unit from Ford. Does anyone know if it would already come filled with gear oil and ready to go? I would assume that it would not. I know it also needs to have the additive as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
233 Posts
A Ford dealer should be able to tell you what kind of fluid, how much, and if it needs any additive. Since shipping things with fluid in them is a big no no. I would assume it comes empty.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
How much did it cost, please?

Reactions: Carlman257

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just pulled the inspection plug off and it looks like it is full of fluid. I also pulled the one off the top and it has fluid as well. So it looks to already have the correct amount of fluid in it. One thing I did notice though is that when you turn the front (where the driveshaft attaches) it is a good bit harder to turn than the one I took out. is this because the unit is new?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did notice that the new unit is harder to turn than the one that I took out. Is this normal until the unit starts to get used? The unit was 2500 from Ford

·
Registered
261 Posts
I could be wrong, but I would be you are among the first owners to actually hold an RDU in their hands. I doubt anyone is going to be able to tell you if that is normal or not without a certain amount of guessing. I'd guess it is normal until the gears and such wear in a bit. That is usually the case with any mechanical device I have worked with.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I did notice that the new unit is harder to turn than the one that I took out. Is this normal until the unit starts to get used? The unit was 2500 from Ford
That doesn't surprise me - install it and check again after maybe 100-200 miles and I'll bet it's fine. After you install it the ECU needs to "marry" it which might take it out of some storage mode or the like.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay. When i put the cv shaft in the side and turn it, it feels fine just the driveshaft mount up front. It may change once it's actually plugged into the car. Just don't want to ruin anything.

·
Registered
56 Posts
That doesn't surprise me - install it and check again after maybe 100-200 miles and I'll bet it's fine. After you install it the ECU needs to "marry" it which might take it out of some storage mode or the like.
This is actually pretty important! You will need the dealer to enter the 20 digit code into the PCM as both clutch packs needs to be married to the AWD control module.

It is all the the shop manual

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can you provide me more info on that please? What 20 digit code? I have the rear out of the car in my shop right now. Thanks

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Connect to the PCM through the USB port.

At the Title Screen press Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start.

*snickers*

Sorry, I doubt the Contra Code for NES would help. In all seriousness, how bad was the RDU that you took out (wreck)? Might be interesting to take it apart to "reverse engineer" it to help the masses.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Text Font Line Document
Text Drawing Technical drawing Design Line art
Text Font Line Document Paper
Text Drawing Font Diagram Parallel
Text Font Auto part Parallel

Happy reading :) I think we all need to check the fluids in the PTU and RDU and make sure that the vent are not plugged and that would probably reduce some of the problems people are seeing!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay and this is something a Ford dealer has to do? I know someone who has dealer like scan tools. Is there a step by step procedure for this? I can't really move the car as it's in my garage. In the accident the 2 rear tabs were broken off.

·
Registered
729 Posts
This is actually pretty important! You will need the dealer to enter the 20 digit code into the PCM as both clutch packs needs to be married to the AWD control module.

It is all the the shop manual

Exactly. This unfortunately will need to be done at a dealer

1 - 20 of 26 Posts