Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'm sorry you disagree, but I would much rather hydroplane the rear axle than the front. Whether you're handling the slide or the computer is, having the ability to steer the car is far more important to me than having stability from the rear axle.

Maybe I shouldn't assume most people have the car control I do, but I would always choose a loose car over a tight car.
So when we're talking about only replacing two tires, I think immediately about wet traction, and want my resistance to hydroplaning on the front axle. ESPECIALLY on a car that can choose (through power delivery, not braking) which wheel on the rear axle gets power.

EDIT: I completely understand what you're saying as far as experts and tribal knowledge. But my own experiences on skid pads have been different. No matter if it's RWD or FWD, I want maximum grip on the front axle.

The law is the law in some places. I had my share of skid pads, track days and driver trainings yet the advice I received was always the same: on the road, if you don’t swap all four tires, your better tire should be on the rear.

In case of an accident, if the insurance adjuster and cops notice that my tires are in a bad shape and the rear is worse than the front, they will not care if I say I am king-ding-a-ling.

We are talking here about safety and levels of grip, we are not talking here about drifting and power sliding / hooliganism.

You are not the rule but the exception, thus I would not promote as gospel putting tires the wrong way around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Because it's a (mostly) front-wheel drive car. The fronts are doing all the turning, the vast majority of the braking, and a majority of the power transfer as well. If you're going to have worn tires somewhere, it needs to be the back.
pretty much everything in this post is utterly incorrect

·
Registered
684 Posts
I think we can agree that for setting a lap time you want the best tires on the front. Race car drivers will tell you that the car is only as good as the front axle, and they can manage oversteer all day. I guess if you drive that way on the road then the logic still applies. But the conventional wisdom is that the rears should be the best because most drivers don’t know what to do with oversteer.

Teddy, I don’t know what laws you have in Luxembourg but in the US we don’t have any dictating front vs rear tires, and I can’t imagine any police making judgements based on this. Worst comes to worst you just say that you used to have the best tires on the front, then you rotated them (as you’re supposed to) and now the fronts are on the back.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts