Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been checking out options/costs for replacement tires, since I know the Sport Cup 2 tires will probably wear down pretty quickly. I checked on Costco online, and there are quite a few options for replacement tires, including the Pilot Sport Cup 2's at $440/tire. Just curious what everyone thinks they will do when it comes time to put on new tires...keep the SC 2's, or go with a cheaper option?

·
Registered
591 Posts
I'll be sticking with the Super Sports. For the price, they can't be beat. Most sizes are warrantied for 30,000 miles as well. I'll never push the Cup 2's to what they were designed for to justify the price.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'll go with the PSSs in all likelihood. I am a bit concerned about the ability of the PSCs to cope with heavy rains.

Has anyone heard a rationale form Ford Canada about why they went with PSCs as standard? We're the only country in the world it seems that went that route.

·
Super Moderator
15,474 Posts
I'm shocked no one has mentioned GY Eagle F1 Assymmetric 2's which are on sale everywhere I look and are less than 1/2 the price of the PSC2's for the summer. (J/K)

For the current replacement size on the 19in forged I'm thinking of giving the Sumitomo HRZ III's a shot for a replacement summer tire and see how they do. Doesn't cost an arm and a leg and is a XL and Z rated tire.

For an All season, I'll be looking at either the Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06 or MAYBE the GY Eagle F1 Assymmetric All Season tires if my current 18in wheels (FoST OEMS and Titanium 5 spokes) don't proper fit on the FoRS.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'll be tracking my RS, so I'm looking for the widest possible 18" tire and wheel combo for track use. Any idea what the wheel offsets will be? Same as the standard Focus? I'm hoping to stuff a 245, 255 or even a 265/18/35 NT-01 in there . . . may have to roll the wheel well lips to accommodate. Anyone else looking to track their RS?

·
Super Moderator
15,474 Posts
I'll be tracking my RS, so I'm looking for the widest possible 18" tire and wheel combo for track use. Any idea what the wheel offsets will be? Same as the standard Focus? I'm hoping to stuff a 245, 255 or even a 265/18/35 NT-01 in there . . . may have to roll the wheel well lips to accommodate. Anyone else looking to track their RS?
50mm offset.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'll go with the PSSs in all likelihood. I am a bit concerned about the ability of the PSCs to cope with heavy rains.

Has anyone heard a rationale form Ford Canada about why they went with PSCs as standard? We're the only country in the world it seems that went that route.
PSSs for me too most likely. I've heard the PSCs are great in the wet all things considered, but I would imagine if we're talking storm rains you might be pushing your luck, but drive like granny and you'd probably be fine.

I'd also love to hear from Ford Canada as to why we're forced on to the PSCs, as great a tire as they are. It actually makes me hope my RS doesn't arrive until late Apr/early May just for fear of sub 7 degree driving and having to throw winters on for a short amount of time.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
BFG has been doing good things the last few years, might check out the Comp 2's. But with the 300 tw rating on the PSS' I might not need summer tires for a few years.

Probably be doing DWS06s for winter duty.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
362 Posts
I had considered the same I know it sucks performance in summer but I don't have time nor space to move summer to winter wheels so I might go the dws line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
One note on Canada coming with PSC2s, they also come with the winter wheel and tire package, so if including bad weather tires, why no include the best summer tire.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Imo all-season tires that can handle the power and performance of the RS (aka "Ultra Performance All-Season") will not suit in Winter in NY at all. They're not like touring tires, they are closer to Summers with the added benefit of being able to handle some cold dry conditions. Soon as you throw them on snow/ice they start to fail. Having run snow+summer the past few winters, I've learned that Ultra Performance are nowhere near as good as Max Summer, and can't begin to touch Studless Winter.

For myself I might go with Potenza S-04 if there will be cash savings to be had as I ran those last year and was very satisfied

·
Registered
717 Posts
One note on Canada coming with PSC2s, they also come with the winter wheel and tire package, so if including bad weather tires, why no include the best summer tire.
Hydroplaning resistance. The PSS should be a finer tire for daily driving

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

1 - 20 of 24 Posts