Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced the Ford factory fill with ATE high temp. I was amazed how much air was in the system from the factory. Both front caliper had tons of air.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Replaced the Ford factory fill with ATE high temp. I was amazed how much air was in the system from the factory. Both front caliper had tons of air.
Ouch. It can happen, at least my BRZ was like that from the factory also. My RS will get real fluid pretty quickly anyways.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I find it hard to believe that any car comes new from the factory with "tons of air" in the brake system. I've yet to find my system lacking in any way. Being assembled in Germany, I wouldn't be surprised if the brake fluid used by FoMoCo is DOT 4 from Ate. What did you use to evacuate the "old" brake fluid and how did you bleed the system? If you're using a vacuum based bleeder, it'll not only pull fluid from the caliper but air being sucked past the threads of the nipple. Just a thought.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Be careful members when bleeding calipers. Brings back horrible memories of my STi. I would hate to see blue paint melted off from the fluid, just like my gold paint (STi) had done before.

·
Registered
423 Posts
targa 1.jpg

Absolutely night and day brake pedal feel after flush bleeding system with Motul at 1500 miles and comparing their new feel during a just finished 2660 mile trip [20.1 avg. fuel mileage] on the road and at several SE track and autox events in 95+ temps.
Think Germans cheaped out on initial fill fluid?
Brakes are fantastic now.
Different size bleeder screws in front and back.
Before flush, at first EZ track day, after runs, pedal was still sinking slightly with light pressure in paddock after short cool down drives.
Never hurts to use a good known high temp fluid and bleeding brakes should be a routine.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I find it hard to believe that any car comes new from the factory with "tons of air" in the brake system. I've yet to find my system lacking in any way. Being assembled in Germany, I wouldn't be surprised if the brake fluid used by FoMoCo is DOT 4 from Ate. What did you use to evacuate the "old" brake fluid and how did you bleed the system? If you're using a vacuum based bleeder, it'll not only pull fluid from the caliper but air being sucked past the threads of the nipple. Just a thought.
I didn't evaluate the factor fill I just wanted to replace it with high temp for track use. I have a pressure bleeder but i didn't use it this time. I did it the manual way with the wife pushing the brake pedal. ��

·
Registered
312 Posts
That would explain why my brake pedal feels like crap... By far my biggest complaint with driving the car is the craptastic pedal feel, so I really hope that I have air, lol.
Doc when you bleed your brakes let me know what you find. I am wondering if this is going to be common.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Doc when you bleed your brakes let me know what you find. I am wondering if this is going to be common.
Probably won't be a bit. I'm lazy... and I'm comparing to the best brakes I've ever driven, lol. AP Racing brakes from Essex on my BRZ with good pads... Bests any of the proper race cars I've driven.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I like the look of those cars.. But what I say when I see one is, sigh.. dog slow machine that's not boosted..

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
How much fluid did you end up needing to flush the system? 2 or 3 500ml bottles?

I'm thinking of flushing the system with RBF600, but its a daily driver that won't see the track much more than 2-3 times a year, so a higher maintenance fluid isn't really needed. I'm considering attempting the day on stock fluid and just bringing the RBF600 with me, but want to make sure i have enough on hand to flush if needed.

If I don't use it in the Focus, I can use it in the TransAm which already has RBF600. Just don't wanna have a ton left over, sitting around gathering moisture.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How much fluid did you end up needing to flush the system? 2 or 3 500ml bottles?

I'm thinking of flushing the system with RBF600, but its a daily driver that won't see the track much more than 2-3 times a year, so a higher maintenance fluid isn't really needed. I'm considering attempting the day on stock fluid and just bringing the RBF600 with me, but want to make sure i have enough on hand to flush if needed.

If I don't use it in the Focus, I can use it in the TransAm which already has RBF600. Just don't wanna have a ton left over, sitting around gathering moisture.
I use 1L to completely flush.....

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I'm just going to buy a ****ing motive bleeder.

You guys are making me all jealous and stuff, I always seem to have air after a vacuum bleed and no one is ever around to help me power bleed them.

1 - 20 of 235 Posts