Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there will be a dealer option of getting a remote start? What about an aftermarket option?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have not heard of any remote start options directly from Ford for this car. While a remote starter is a wonderful thing up here in the Northeast, carefully consider if its a wise thing to do on a manual transmission car. In order to use remote start you'd have to leave your car in neutral with the parking brake applied. I'm sure that's not as big a deal as I'm thinking in my head, but it makes me a bit uneasy (the part about walking away from the car in neutral). Then again, just a matter of developing the appropriate routine right?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Uh, I think Europe gets it. Let me check the options list real quick...

Nope. I guess adding that in would "possibly" male some people mad because either the car dies right off because off a gear being engaged or it doesnt even start because it sees the gear and refuses too. Both Versions would make some "bordered" people run in the office at ford.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ford will not equip manual cars in the US with remote start due to the liability unfortunately. There are aftermarket remote starts that can detect whether not the car is in gear, so it can never be started unless in neutral, but for some reason Ford's lawyers still think it's too risky. I'll probably be equipping mine with one and what's nice about aftermarket ones is you can get ones you can operate with your phone so you essentially have infinite range as long as you and the vehicle have a cell signal on the remote starters network. I know Viper/Directed's Smart Start system uses their own dedicated cell network for their customers and there's an annual subscription fee, but it's pretty low compared to what cell phone companies charge for data these days. Like $50-70/year IIRC.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I live in Mi and still have never understood the fascination with remote start.
Do you park in a garage or under a cover? My winter cars have always been parked outside so having it nice and warm when I get in as well as most of the snow melted off is nice. my RS will be garage parked, so it won't be as bad and maybe I'll survive with the heated seats and steering wheel and forgo the remote start, but remote starting it when I leave work is also nice because I have long walk outside in the cold to our parking.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Do you park in a garage or under a cover? My winter cars have always been parked outside so having it nice and warm when I get in as well as most of the snow melted off is nice. my RS will be garage parked, so it won't be as bad and maybe I'll survive with the heated seats and steering wheel and forgo the remote start, but remote starting it when I leave work is also nice because I have long walk outside in the cold to our parking.
I do park in the garage ....so I can understand the convenience if its outside over night. I think the frugal side of me would still be bothered knowing its sitting there using fuel for 5-10 minutes and not going anywhere lol. But yeah, looking back I hated scraping cars in the morning.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I do park in the garage ....so I can understand the convenience if its outside over night. I think the frugal side of me would still be bothered knowing its sitting there using fuel for 5-10 minutes and not going anywhere lol. But yeah, looking back I hated scraping cars in the morning.
Ah, yeah garage makes a big difference. I also used to have a 7 mile drive to work, so I didn't care much about fuel usage and I wouldn't even reach full temp until I was halfway there, so you can see remote start was better for the engine too, getting it up to full temp sooner. Now I have a 40 mile drive to work and fuel usage is more of a concern, and I'm with you it does hurt a bit to have it running going no where now.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I plan to install a remote start, maybe with turbo timer. Turbo timer is a bit unnecessary because the turbo should be liquid cooled... But, I'd only preheat it for a minute and leave it running after for about 30 seconds. I don't warm up my car for multiple minutes but I prefer to let it warm up for at least 30 seconds or so... Maybe a full minute when it's below freezing... Something I sometimes fail to do when I'm in a hurry.

Going to get something that I can control and monitor from my phone, because future.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yeah I live in the Ruff Buff and I've never felt the need for remote start. I just take the minute or so and go out to warm up my car by starting it normally. Same goes for heated seats, I find that blasting the heat will heat up the car quick enough for my tastes. Oh well more money saved for that factory performance tune :D

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
remote start is a must for me.
ive had compustar and dei based systems and both have their place but the compustar was definately the better of the two.
compustar pro t11 is what i plan to run

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, it's strange for Ford to be worried about manuals. It seems they would be in the best position to implement a correct remote starter that would detect that the car is in gear and whatever else it needs to.

I like the idea of having a remote start as I always park outside, and it'd be nice to have the car running for a minute before I get to it. From what I understand turbo cars also need to be warmed up more before being driven

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ive had compustar and dei based systems and both have their place but the compustar was definately the better of the two.
Ooo, fancy looking. I'd probably prefer one of the simpler 2-way models. What's the point of the LCD screen?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yeah I live in the Ruff Buff and I've never felt the need for remote start. I just take the minute or so and go out to warm up my car by starting it normally. Same goes for heated seats, I find that blasting the heat will heat up the car quick enough for my tastes. Oh well more money saved for that factory performance tune :D
I grew up south of Buffalo! Derby to be exact. Lived there until I was 20. You've got to be one of the very few without a remote start there haha. Everyone I know there has two things on their car; remote start and 4WD/AWD!

·
Registered
520 Posts
I grew up south of Buffalo! Derby to be exact. Lived there until I was 20. You've got to be one of the very few without a remote start there haha. Everyone I know there has two things on their car; remote start and 4WD/AWD!
Oh nice! Small world indeed. I live in the city between downtown and Kenmore! Yeah I ended up taking a job here so I've only been living here for a few years, aftermarket remote start may happen down the line but I've managed without it for now. I will say AWD will be nice coming from a Mazda 3 though!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm intrigued by the T11 and other products they offer - would want full-feature security+remote start. Do you know if this is compatible with the phone app/smartwatch app they have? If not, I imagine I can get all the features in that package and have a less-robust keychain remote (not needed). Also, do you happen to know how it interfaces with the wireless entry? I'd like for the whole system to be touch-free like stock... Plan to call a local dealer later today.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I use the factory remote start on my Flex all the time. It's really convenient in a car that has multiple drivers because the MyKey will automatically adjust the seats and mirrors for whoever starts the car. On top of that it will heat or cool the car depending on the temp and user. However, in the RS I don't really see it being useful beyond getting the fluids moving before you actually get going. At least for SoCal where I'm at.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I'm intrigued by the T11 and other products they offer - would want full-feature security+remote start. Do you know if this is compatible with the phone app/smartwatch app they have? If not, I imagine I can get all the features in that package and have a less-robust keychain remote (not needed). Also, do you happen to know how it interfaces with the wireless entry? I'd like for the whole system to be touch-free like stock... Plan to call a local dealer later today.

I have installed my last 3 alarm/starters but none had push button start or keyless entry. I am sure there are easy work arounds, but I dont know off hand. usually requires a few relays to trigger off whgatever the keyless entry triggers off of, etc
the compustar pro line is only sold by licensed installers. the lesser stuff can be found on ebay.
when wiring stuff into my car I always goto Car Alarm, Car Stereo, Mobile Video, and Cruise Control Info for Installers
if you dont know that website and you like to wire **** into factory harnesses, get to know it like an old friend

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I have installed my last 3 alarm/starters but none had push button start or keyless entry. I am sure there are easy work arounds, but I dont know off hand. usually requires a few relays to trigger off whgatever the keyless entry triggers off of, etc
the compustar pro line is only sold by licensed installers. the lesser stuff can be found on ebay.
when wiring stuff into my car I always goto Car Alarm, Car Stereo, Mobile Video, and Cruise Control Info for Installers
if you dont know that website and you like to wire **** into factory harnesses, get to know it like an old friend
From what I've seen the work around is to leave a key in the car :(

1 - 20 of 54 Posts