Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My main reasoning for wanting a more aggressive motor mount is difficulty shifting from first to second gear when getting rpms close to redline. I don't have any issue shifting into any other gears and have heard upgrading the rear motor mount improves shift feel. I understand any motor mount will add more NVH compared to stock. I've looked into the available options on the market right now and have noticed most everyone likes the Mountune RMM but I don't see any durometer rating listed so I have nothing to compare it to. Anyone have thoughts on what they've installed?

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
most everyone likes the Mountune RMM but I don't see any durometer rating listed so I have nothing to compare it to. Anyone have thoughts on what they've installed?
So wouldn't "most everyone" be a pretty solid recommendation? That number doesn't really mean much as it could vary between different manufacturers and how it's calculated.

With that said you can put me down for another: "love my Mountune RMM" as well, it for sure helped with that 1st to 2nd shift, and I didn't even notice any NVH introduced because of it. But I did come from an ST with the CPE Stage 2 and before that my Integra with "race" level engine mounts, the Mountune on my RS is for sure less than either of those previous cars.

I've yet to see a bad thing said about the Mountune piece in the 20 months I've been around here

·
Registered
285 Posts
I always consider as NVH as my priority when considering performance upgrades. I really had dilemma before installing RMM like yourself. 1st to 2nd shift was my main issue too. Happy to say Mountune for me as well worked perfectly and noticed minimal increase in vibration during idling with AC on. If you have a tune - you can ask your tuner to raise the idle to >850rpm which will definitely improve this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So wouldn't "most everyone" be a pretty solid recommendation?
It was certainly something I considered but I know Mountune has been in the game for a while and I didn't know how much brand loyalty persuaded people over the competition's offerings. I have only heard negative things about shipping times from Mountune but I was hoping to hear from people who may have experience with multiple brands before pulling the trigger myself.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Cobb or Mountune RMM will be the best option for a daily and limiting NVH. There is some added NVH as first, but within 500km it softens up. I don't even notice it anymore unless I come to a slow roll and stay in 2nd.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Cobb or Mountune RMM will be the best option for a daily and limiting NVH. There is some added NVH as first, but within 500km it softens up. I don't even notice it anymore unless I come to a slow roll and stay in 2nd.
My personal experience: with my ‘14 ST I ran the boomba mount. Lots of vibration at idle, especially with a/c on. And 1st gear low rpm. Worth it because for the ST it changed the feel of everything, but never seemed to soften up. Fast forward to the RS, I also run the boomba 2 piece, and you can’t even tell it’s in there. No negligible NVH difference from stock. Win win

·
Registered
717 Posts
Good to hear about the NVH from folks about Mountune. No mod my car gets shall compromise comfort and ride. This is my everything car, and the last thing I want is increased NVH on long trips. I've lived with a lowered stiff suspension for a while in my previous car and that got murderously unpleasant, so I am very wary of purely performance-oriented mods now

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
NVH on the CPE S2 is not pronounced other than between 1200-1400 rpm, idle and other rpm is fine.

I've been on stiffer setup before so the CPE does not bother me at all.

But as I said, it's not bad. It re-orients the load and its not too hard.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Another for Mountune. I put it in last week because of getting harsh redline 1-2 shifts during autox. My car is basically stock and my biggest concern was increased harshness due to vibration. I drive slower than granny on the street and daily the car so I really cannot deal with increased engine vibration in the slow take off area because thats all I do. To my pleasant surprise after the Mountune swap... minimal. It actually makes part throttle roll up and shifting at 5K quite enjoyable now and when I do get on it and quick shift, less lurch between shifts. Solved the banging I was getting during autox as well from the worn stock unit. I give it an A+. Oh and like everyone else is saying they seem to have them in stock waiting to go out.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
NVH on the CPE S2 is not pronounced other than between 1200-1400 rpm, idle and other rpm is fine.

I've been on stiffer setup before so the CPE does not bother me at all.

But as I said, it's not bad. It re-orients the load and its not too hard.
nicklulu is correct. I agree and my choice.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just picked the car up after having a Mountune RMM fitted. Night and day. No wheel hop and a much more positive selection.

In fact I was quite surprised at the stock mount which is machined to within an inch of its life. Could probably twist it with my hands....

·
Registered
85 Posts
I also have the CPE stage 2. I had some vibration in the steering wheel at first, and now after some miles I’m either used to it or it went away! The torque steer is gone, I noticed no big change in shifting... I had this same problem on my RS. To fix my hard 1-2 shift I took out the airbox and looked at the shift linkage, where it attaches to the transmission. Mine was bending too much at an angle and needed a slight bend of the bracket to ease the friction. On mine it didnt matter the rpm. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts