Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched numerous threads, and still come up undecided. Which pads are best recommended for little brake dust, but still over good stopping power? I don't plan to track the RS, but cleaning the brake dust from the OE pads is ridiculous. My Forgeline's are a different color after about 3 days of driving. I've used Hawk ceramic pads in the past and have been quite happy with them. I've read several posts about EBC pads as well.

What's everyone running on their daily driver?

-Andy

·
Registered
99 Posts
Carbotech 1521 is what has been recommended to me. I personally have now tried them. But I'm shopping for the best price on them right now.
+1 I have them on another car and they are amazing. Will definitely get mine on before the winter, when I can't wash the car every week anymore.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The going rate on the Carbotech pads seems to be around $300 for front & rear, does that seem about right?

-Andy

·
Registered
684 Posts
I’m gonna try to do my first track day on stock fluid/pads and just take it easy but I want to have some pads ready to go afterward. I would like a set of low-dust street pads (I have white wheels) as well as some track pads. I’ve been reading about how pads need to have compatible compounds if you are switching them out.

Can somebody recommend a good pairing of street and track pads that will work on my OEM rotors? As far as track pads go, I’m not as concerned about strong bite and stopping power but need high temp tolerance (will eventually track in Phoenix in the summer) and would like to be as gentle on rotors as possible to preserve the rotors as long as possible.

I’ve seen lots of recs for individual pads (CT 1521 sounds good for street and G-Loc R16/R12 for track) but I can’t tell if they will play well together when I swap them back and forth.

Thanks!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I looked at the Mountune offerings and they seem like a good alternative to the factory pads. They also provide a graph of the coefficient of friction between the factory pads and theirs. That means something to me. And they make less dust; that's a good thing, because the factory pads dust the wheels in a matter of days!

·
Registered
684 Posts
I looked at the Mountune offerings and they seem like a good alternative to the factory pads. They also provide a graph of the coefficient of friction between the factory pads and theirs. That means something to me. And they make less dust; that's a good thing, because the factory pads dust the wheels in a matter of days!
Yeah Montune is relatively cheap and I have heard good things about their street pads, but haven’t heard about anybody using their track compound on track. It says the operating temp goes up to 600 but I think I would need something that can tolerate higher temps.

After more reading I’m thinking G-loc GS1 for street. I’m still deciding R16/12 vs R12/10 for track pads.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I’m gonna try to do my first track day on stock fluid/pads and just take it easy but I want to have some pads ready to go afterward. I would like a set of low-dust street pads (I have white wheels) as well as some track pads. I’ve been reading about how pads need to have compatible compounds if you are switching them out.

Can somebody recommend a good pairing of street and track pads that will work on my OEM rotors? As far as track pads go, I’m not as concerned about strong bite and stopping power but need high temp tolerance (will eventually track in Phoenix in the summer) and would like to be as gentle on rotors as possible to preserve the rotors as long as possible.

I’ve seen lots of recs for individual pads (CT 1521 sounds good for street and G-Loc R16/R12 for track) but I can’t tell if they will play well together when I swap them back and forth.

Thanks!
I would strongly advise against using stock brake fluid at the track. I've seen that go badly very often. Most of the time the person with stock brake fluid sits out half the day because their brakes are mush.

I use both street and track Mountune pads. The track pads are very good. I'm an aggressive driver and late braker on the track and I've never had a problem with the Mountune track pads. The street pads are very good also. They don't squeak and produce very little dust.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
I would strongly advise against using stock brake fluid at the track. I've seen that go badly very often. Most of the time the person with stock brake fluid sits out half the day because their brakes are mush.

I use both street and track Mountune pads. The track pads are very good. I'm an aggressive driver and late braker on the track and I've never had a problem with the Mountune track pads. The street pads are very good also. They don't squeak and produce very little dust.
And @SurfCfl has gotten me on board with both sets of Mountune pads, they’ve been great

·
Registered
684 Posts

Good to know. I'm still nervous about temp ranges because I've heard horror stories about people melting pads and then having to rebuild the caliper because their dust seals were shot.
G-Loc says their pads have a working range of 72-1015 celcius, while Montune lists the temp range for their track pads as 0-600 celcius. That is a big difference and makes me wonder if the Montune track pads are really street/track hybrid pads since most track pads don't need to work in freezing temperatures...

·
Registered
1,946 Posts

Thanks!

Imho, considering its going to be your first track day, I think you'll be perfectly fine on the stock fluid and pads, just make sure that you have enough pad thickness left and to bleed your brakes to make sure you don't have any air in the system and that you have "fresh" fluid in the calipers. I see folks go "upgrade crazy" for their first trackday all the time when a well maintained stock car will do. Besides, you should be focusing on your line and smoothing-out inputs anyway and not late braking enough to over heat your brakes. When I just got the car, I did 2 trackdays on the stock set-up with no issues (but I'm slow AF lol)

You are right about compounds having to be "compatible" when swapping pads. Having similar compounds should make bedding-in your brakes a little easier if you are using the same rotor. If not, you'll have to re-bed-in your brakes every time you swap. I like to use this method:

If you track regularly, I found it easier to just have a dedicated set of rotors and pads to swap in/out before & after your trackday.

I believe the Mountune pads are just rebranded Winmax pads (I'm guessing W2's for the "street" and W4's for the "track"?), not that there's anything wrong with them. I've ran the W2's on my BRZ on the street with no issue.

Currently running EBC yellows. Considering the price (got em for $215 for the set), they've been great on the street and much better dust-wise than the stocks (I've got white wheels too lol). They definitely not the best for the track, they wear out much quicker, but I've been too lazy to swap pads (the fronts are easy, but the rears are a PITA).

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
I have the G-Loc RS1 pads on the front. They are awesome for initial bite cold and warm, nearly no dust and are rated up to 800°. For a street pad, they're hard to beat. I only wish they would make rear pads...

·
Registered
684 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Imho, considering its going to be your first track day, I think you'll be perfectly fine on the stock fluid and pads
My 2 cents, this is exact opposite of what it should be. Noobs on track brake too hard and too often especially when the don’t know the ceiling of what their car can do on track. Chances to boil/ruin the fluid: greater

But people drive differently at different skill levels, even out of the gate, so maybe this won’t apply

I believe the Mountune pads are just rebranded Winmax pads
They are indeed

but I've(the fronts are easy, but the rears are a PITA).
With the right tools, it’s just as easy

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
My 2 cents, this is exact opposite of what it should be. Noobs on track brake too hard and too often especially when the don’t know the ceiling of what their car can do on track. Chances to boil/ruin the fluid: greater

But people drive differently at different skill levels, even out of the gate, so maybe this won’t apply
Agreed. People drive very differently on their first trackdays. Some may drive too cautiously and actually brake way too early and ride the brakes, causing them to heat up, so I guess you're right to be cautious. I just don't like folks who go crazy with upgrades or the excuse that they can't take the car to the track because their car doesn't have X upgrade.

With the right tools, it’s just as easy
It only takes an afternoon of cursing with needle nose pliers to convince me to buy the tool

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Our local track is hard on brakes - no long straights to cool them off. I experienced a mushy pedal after the first day out, so I upgraded the fluid. Brake performance has been fine since. Stock pads ok . . .

Head on out and see how it goes!

·
Premium Member
906 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I would just try out the stock brakes. If you feel the pedal getting soft then you can just give the brakes some time to cool off. Then make upgrades as necessary. You may find (like myself) that the stock brakes are adequate. Everyone's driving style is different. Personally I hit the limit on the RDU and got AWD OFF before brakes were ever an issue. Granted this was on a smaller technical track (Waterford Hills), and a more average track (Gingerman). YMMV if you're on a large faster track. My driving style is probably being on the brakes at 90% of threshold, with a little trail braking. If you're still getting used the to the braking limit you might heat the pads more.

FYI: G-LOC and Carbotech pads are the same compounds. https://vorshlag-store.com/products/g-loc-brake-pads-front-2017-focus-rs-6-piston

1 - 20 of 23 Posts