Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Happy New Year !

My front Rotors are at 23,67 mm which means I need to change them soon if I am too follow the manufacturer 23mm minimum guidelines.

I am using the Mountune EBC grooved and while they are nice, my endless ME-20 pads seem to be quite savage. 1 track day at the ring, a few events at Spa, some local track events and daily driving. I did almost 20k KM with these rotors so I can’t say they were bad but did not really want to spend money now on this.

I am looking at high quality rotors and I will not get a big brake kit as I do not feel the need for it. I am puzzled what to get if I am honest.

1. StopTech floating - I don’t find them in Europe
2. GiroDisc floating - l don’t have a lot of experience with the brand
3. Tarox F2000 - these seem like they have the endurance to survive Endless ME-20
4. Reyland MotorSports j-hook. These were my first choice but reading about these discs it was brought to my attention that the cooling vanes are quite poor.

Any suggestions ? Experience with a similar semi-metallic pad ?

Regards,
E.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Purely for weight savings I opted for Rotora front brake rotors. Dropped 15.2 lb total for the (2) rotors. I have almost 3,000 miles of autocross and street duty without issues on these rotors with stock pads. No track day or aftermarket pad experience, though.

Website link for install: Hank's RS - Front Rotors

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are gorgeous Hank!
Sadly I don't think I find them in Europe :(.

Regards,
E

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Sorry, Rotora is indeed based out of the peoples' republic of Kalifornia. Good luck in your search though.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Have not swapped my rotors on my RS yet.... But in the past I always went with EBC on my Evos and even on my wife's old XB. Blind drill and slotted, great stoppage but maxed I got out of those were 25,000 to 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Purely for weight savings I opted for Rotora front brake rotors. Dropped 15.2 lb total for the (2) rotors. I have almost 3,000 miles of autocross and street duty without issues on these rotors with stock pads. No track day or aftermarket pad experience, though.

Website link for install: Hank's RS - Front Rotors

What was the price on the rotors and do you know who is currently selling them? A google search didnt turn up anythiing for the individual rotor with that part # shown in the pic. Thanks

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
What was the price on the rotors and do you know who is currently selling them? A google search didnt turn up anythiing for the individual rotor with that part # shown in the pic. Thanks
Back in the day there was a Rotora group buy on this forum. I paid $651 shipped for the (2) front rotors. No clue what the discount was back then, or how much the rotors cost now. It doesn't help that the website Rotora.com/catalog still says "coming soon" (since early 2018). Could you give them a call tomorrow and let us know? I'm interested to see how much replacement rotors are (minus the hats).

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@NVMarkus,

Google did not have anything that would ship to my country or any neighboring ones.
I even tried from Rotora US to see what the offering is but they don't ship to Europe.

I am narrowing down my choice due to lack of options :
1. GiroDisc
2. Tarox
3. dba.
4. EBC

I have seen more pros and cons for Tarox and dba than GiroDisc. Maybe the latter is used less. I also saw information on GiroDisc and Endless ME-20 / Pagid semi-metallic combos. This is encouraging for me but GiroDisc, of course, has no rear rotors in Europe for the MK3 RS. Tarox and dba have both front and rear.

Movit, Stoptech, and Carbopad are not available in my area.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Back in the day there was a Rotora group buy on this forum. I paid $651 shipped for the (2) front rotors. No clue what the discount was back then, or how much the rotors cost now. It doesn't help that the website Rotora.com/catalog still says "coming soon" (since early 2018). Could you give them a call tomorrow and let us know? I'm interested to see how much replacement rotors are (minus the hats).
I had emailed them this past summer, $795 for fronts and $350 for the rears.

I was going to pull the trigger on the Racing Brake's with oversized rears, but am unsure if that will create any rear bias.

I believe i will go with Giro as they are close to me. I spent a couple house with them back in 2017 for them to test fit rotors. Seeing if they will still honor a friendly deal for my time but i doubt it.

·
Registered
590 Posts
@NVMarkus,

Google did not have anything that would ship to my country or any neighboring ones.
I even tried from Rotora US to see what the offering is but they don't ship to Europe.

I am narrowing down my choice due to lack of options :
1. GiroDisc
2. Tarox
3. dba.
4. EBC

I have seen more pros and cons for Tarox and dba than GiroDisc. Maybe the latter is used less. I also saw information on GiroDisc and Endless ME-20 / Pagid semi-metallic combos. This is encouraging for me but GiroDisc, of course, has no rear rotors in Europe for the MK3 RS. Tarox and dba have both front and rear.

Movit, Stoptech, and Carbopad are not available in my area.
Talked to Loren today, he says he ships to Europe all the time, and feel free to reach out to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Talked to Loren today, he says he ships to Europe all the time, and feel free to reach out to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh no. Too late :(. I just purchased something else! Why did I not wait for a few more hours??
:(

-------------------------------------

Thank you all for your replies. My heart wanted GiroDisc and I actually cancelled before clicking pay three times. Each attempt I told myself that I will go to the stock rotor on the rear from Mountune and the differences in design will not be noticeable. I then realized that my OCD will no allow me to accept this. Consequently, I looked at choices that had both rear and front. Damn you Girodisc

1. Tarox F2000 was a solid contender but the reason I discarded them is the super long grooves which would be too flashy. The MOT and cops are not very forgiving here so I am trying to stay discrete to a certain extent.

2. Reyland Motorsports were very helpful and confirmed that their rotors do not have curved vanes or some innovative cooling. They use straight vane design and this is not an option for the ME-20 pad. The current rotors are heating up badly and I would not want to spend so much on a set of rotors that does not ventilate well.

3. EBC Racing was discarded as I could not match the rear. Sure, the Nitrous Blue 2 part version was nice but no rear option.

Without further ado, I purchased these :

1. DBA 5000 T3
2. DBA 4000 T3

·
Registered
498 Posts
Oh no. Too late :(. I just purchased something else! Why did I not wait for a few more hours?? :(

-------------------------------------

Thank you all for your replies. My heart wanted GiroDisc and I actually cancelled before clicking pay three times. Each attempt I told myself that I will go to the stock rotor on the rear from Mountune and the differences in design will not be noticeable. I then realized that my OCD will no allow me to accept this. Consequently, I looked at choices that had both rear and front. Damn you Girodisc

1. Tarox F2000 was a solid contender but the reason I discarded them is the super long grooves which would be too flashy. The MOT and cops are not very forgiving here so I am trying to stay discrete to a certain extent.

2. Reyland Motorsports were very helpful and confirmed that their rotors do not have curved vanes or some innovative cooling. They use straight vane design and this is not an option for the ME-20 pad. The current rotors are heating up badly and I would not want to spend so much on a set of rotors that does not ventilate well.

3. EBC Racing was discarded as I could not match the rear. Sure, the Nitrous Blue 2 part version was nice but no rear option.

1. DBA 5000 T3
2. DBA 4000 T3
Giro does offer a matching rear disc

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Giro does offer a matching rear disc
Not in Europe or anybody in the US who would ship to me. I actually tried to purchase it from the US OFFICIAL SITE but they would not ship to Luxemburg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,946 Posts

1. DBA 5000 T3
2. DBA 4000 T3
Just curious as to why you were interested in these particular rotors. Most of the track guys I hang out with see rotors as consumables and usually opt for the cheapest quality blanks they can get (needless to say, I've been doing the same). The most we do for braking upgrades are pads and fluid.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just curious as to why you were interested in these particular rotors. Most of the track guys I hang out with see rotors as consumables and usually opt for the cheapest quality blanks they can get (needless to say, I've been doing the same). The most we do for braking upgrades are pads and fluid.

warning, wall of text

Hey there,
I had the same approach last year.
I looked at the stock rotors and then at the mountune ones.
The price difference between the two was roughly 25 dollars per axle.
I read a lot of good stuff about the Mountune grooved and saw people used them with all kinds of pads.
I installed these due to the events I planned with my friends.

I made a complete swap, stainless steel lines, Endless fluid and Endless ME-20 pads. I got in the car and i almost smashed my face in the dash. I did the recommended bed in procedure and all was golden. I drove 200-300 miles in normal conditions and then drove my significant other to Germany. With my luck I found the one guy who decided to cut me off while i was driving 170 mph. He was driving 70 because that was the speed i had whilst waiting for him to overtake a guy who was probably driving 69 mph.

Bear in mind that this was the only time I used the brakes heavily and my driving style is tailored in a way where I don't hog the brakes, I cool them and at traffic lights I do not even hold my foot on the brake pedal.

So I got to my destination and I saw some interesting markings on my front. At first it looked like I burnt my rotors. I did not pay extra attention to this. I then drove back and i could feel grinding at very low speeds when braking. This was not there before I i definitely did something to the rotors. After a few hundred miles the rotors cleaned up nicely. The advantage of semi metallic pads.

I then went on track, did a few laps, cooled the car down, went out looked at the brakes, same burning, same area, same spots. You can imagine, I looked at my buddy's M2 with standard BMW OEM Discs and ME-20 pads, at my other friends Lotus with AP Racing and Ferodo, they had the beautiful warm rotor on the whole area look while mine had a circular toast mark.

Again, driving with the rotors cleans them up but I did notice that the brakes are way warmer than they used to be with the stock set-up. This was not the case as everyone was impressed with how well the brakes are cooled from factory. I also attach a picture with me using the brakes last week. Ignore everything outside the brake disc. I had a small rodent issue that chewed my insulation under my front left wing. I was on the highway, I had 120 mph and I just used the brakes to slow down. This is how they look. As I did not drive enough to clean them up the marks are still there.

If you managed to read all the way here, I thank you. I will not longer match 500 dollar pads with 200 dollar discs. It simply does not seem to be like a good combo.

I looked at premium rotors this time because I want better cooling. These were with straight vanes and while EBC is a good brand, they simply did not cope with the dust and brutality of the pad. I also note that once those grooves are full with pad material I smear them over the disc but if I brake from 100 mph then I just burn this pad material and I have to grind it out.

I hope that by choosing DBA with their Kangaroo thinige ma jiggie I have better cooling. I saw that some state that Girodisc are a bit better with the cooling design while others say the are the same. I want to reduce my temperature on the rotors to avoid having issues similar to the Mountune Rotors.

·
Registered
50 Posts

1. DBA 5000 T3
2. DBA 4000 T3
Good choice, those are the ones i was planning to get for that price range. Nothing wrong with the stock Motorcraft oem blanks either since they're cheap and do a good job.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I installed a 2 piece stoptech on my car before I sold it and it lightened the front end feel the car held revs coming off throttle and the car felt quicker... lighter on its feet. Stopped really well and I was very satisfied with my purchase.
Ed

1 - 20 of 27 Posts