Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
ECU was in the line of fire there. It might have been destroyed. If not, for sure someone along the line just removed it so it wouldn't get broken and decided to 'keep' it. Happens a lot, so many of these wrecked cars are missing stuff that's easily removed and re-sold.

Good luck with the build. Looks pretty straightforward as long as the engine is OK.

·
Registered
323 Posts
hunch is that the previous owner was either doing a cool drift or lost control somehow drove over the curb and hit some sort of structure in front. He/She may not have taken the ECU cause then they would have also taken the carbon fiber intake???
Yeah it doesn't look stripped, but like I said the ECU may have been dragging and necessary to remove. And no tools required. And then it becomes very easy to go missing.

I had my front end off recently, my ECU bracket broke after hitting a racoon and I replaced it. The ECU is in a very vulnerable spot. So hopefully I can help with any questions posted here. If not I'm sure others can.

·
Registered
323 Posts
And this would invalidate insurance if not declared
Depends on the country / state. This seems more common in the EU/UK. I've never heard of it happening in the US.

In any case, if the insurance company wanted to check for a tune, I am sure they'd be even more suspicious if the ECU was missing entirely. Then it goes from insurance denial to insurance fraud. I don't think stealing your ECU would be a good course of action to avoid insurance investigation...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts