Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So at track events they require front and rear tow hook. I see the Front tow hook area. Where do we put a Rear tow hook?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Rear tow hook location

16 FoRS Rear Tow Hook Location.jpg

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Rear tow hook location

View attachment 3493
That is not a tow hook. Even if it was, it would be in the worst possible position for that intended usage (and just to be there.. a hook.. lower than the rest of the car - also it's not on any of the other pics of the cars just that car show one). That would not be usable if the car was stuck in a gravel trap. A track tow guy wouldn't even bother using it, just run a strap through the cabin or around a wheel. Damage to the car is not his problem, it's yours for getting stuck. Street tow they'd wrap it around the subframes and/or control arms which works fine for pulling onto a flatbed.

Other US Focii don't have a OEM front or rear tow hook which is just plain stupid but I guess someone at Ford thought it made sense.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Any other news on whether anybody has seen a provision for rear tow hook??

It would be nice if thwre were a factory provision for one mounted at the interface of the frame rail and crash bar, where it appears the front one is.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'll be absolutely shocked if there isn't a little plastic square somewhere on the rear bumper that you can remove and screw in a standard (I mean comes with the car, likely near the jack and what not) tow-hook to attach.

Seriously Ford, I hope you didn't make a performance car without this!

·
Super Moderator
15,323 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
The twelve tracks I have visited in Texas, California, Oregon and Alabama never required a rear tow hook, or if they did I didn't know about it, it wasn't on the inspection sheet and they never checked. Fronts possibly were required but did not have to be mounted. I don't recall any requirements actually. I didn't always run with one but I get why they would want one.

·
Super Moderator
15,323 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Bumping an old one I know

Last night at the shop I was installing my rear diffuser and found the rear tow hook mounting point. It's on the right sight behind the stock diffuser just below were it snaps to the bumper. Problem is you'll have to drill a hole to mount it. I'm ordering another tow hook and plan on figuring out a way to get measurements to drill the hole in the correct spot.

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts

Last night at the shop I was installing my rear diffuser and found the rear tow hook mounting point. It's on the right sight behind the stock diffuser just below were it snaps to the bumper. Problem is you'll have to drill a hole to mount it. I'm ordering another tow hook and plan on figuring out a way to get measurements to drill the hole in the correct spot.
Thanks @Sleeper! great news! were you able to tell, is it also left hand threaded like the front tow hook mounting?

When you have the hole drilled out, please post pics and how you did it. I'm very interested in doing this myself. Hopefully if the access hole is all within the confines of the rear diffuser, then if you ever wanted to cover it up you could just buy a replacement diffuser and not worry about filling and paint matching the painted portion of the bumper.

·
Registered
134 Posts

cant use the bonnet pin trick, using a long enough bolt to touch the diffuser with a bit of paint on the end of it?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Thanks @Sleeper! great news! were you able to tell, is it also left hand threaded like the front tow hook mounting?

When you have the hole drilled out, please post pics and how you did it. I'm very interested in doing this myself. Hopefully if the access hole is all within the confines of the rear diffuser, then if you ever wanted to cover it up you could just buy a replacement diffuser and not worry about filling and paint matching the painted portion of the bumper.
Exactly my thought. The rear diffusers aren't expensive at all and very easy to swap out. I have a spare so I'll just start drilling holes into it. I didn't pay attention to the orientation of the thread. I plan on tearing everything apart again to see. Also take measurements and get a bolt to thread in there

cant use the bonnet pin trick, using a long enough bolt to touch the diffuser with a bit of paint on the end of it?
Yea that's what I'm thinking. With the frame sliders on my bikes, I've used a bolt and some play doh that seems to work well. My try that here

·
Registered
105 Posts
Exactly my thought. The rear diffusers aren't expensive at all and very easy to swap out. I have a spare so I'll just start drilling holes into it. I didn't pay attention to the orientation of the thread. I plan on tearing everything apart again to see. Also take measurements and get a bolt to thread in there

Yea that's what I'm thinking. With the frame sliders on my bikes, I've used a bolt and some play doh that seems to work well. My try that here
Did you ever installed a rear tow hook?, Im thinking of going to a single exit exhaust and thought maybe I could use one of the tailpipe positions to put the tow hook in there

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Did you ever installed a rear tow hook?, Im thinking of going to a single exit exhaust and thought maybe I could use one of the tailpipe positions to put the tow hook in there
Thanks for reminding me haha. Will have to hit up Todd again. He's making the rear tow hooks for this project and I guess I've just been busy with other stuff.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Thanks for reminding me haha. Will have to hit up Todd again. He's making the rear tow hooks for this project and I guess I've just been busy with other stuff.
He's gotten nowhere with his machinist apparently. Looks like I'll have to take this one on solo.

Once I get some time I'll take off the rear bumper and start making measurements

·
Registered
221 Posts
He's gotten nowhere with his machinist apparently. Looks like I'll have to take this one on solo.

Once I get some time I'll take off the rear bumper and start making measurements

Waiting in the wings here as well. Been a busy spring, we've not been able to find as much track time as we'd like, but the rear tow hook is definitely something we plan on doing. Please post pics with measurements!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
14 Participants
Red Dwarf
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing