Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all you lucky RS owners that have already taken possession of your RS's: has anyone seen if there is a provision for a rear tow hook / ring, similar to the one in the front?

I have not seen any pics of a removable plug on the rear bumper fascia, and I have not seen an RS up close enough to look underneath and check out the rear crash bar to see if there is a threaded insert along the attachment to the frame rail . . . anyone with a car willing to check for the forum?

One in front should be enough for the track, but it's always nice to have one in the rear, for those especially interesting offs.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well, a year after first posting, and 7 months with the car, and I finally got around to doing it.

Thanks to @Sleeper for noticing the threaded provision at the rear of the right frame rail.

I basically popped off the black diffuser, slipped my hand between the white (covered) bumper fascia, found the location of the threaded provision, then dremeled out a hole big enough to fit the OEM tow hook. Then replaced diffuser panel, made an educated guess on where to start, then Dremeled a hole and expanded it slowly until the collar of the OEM two hook cleared the diffuser panel easily. The hole in the white bumper fascia is way bigger than it needs to be. The hold in the black diffuser panel is very close to exactly the size of the lower collar on the OEM tow hook. The final hole in the black diffuser panel is 1in. diameter.

The threaded provision is left-handed, just like the front, so the same OEM tow hook can be used at both sites. I bought a second OEM tow hook, so the car gets both front and rear hooks when at the track.

Because the necessary hole traverses a complex surface on the black diffuser, I don't have a plastic plug that I can snap on and cover the entire hole. So I used a #6 rubber stopper (from beakers and graduated cylinder use in HS chemistry labs). It actually fits well: it is long enough that it totally plugs the entire hole along all the complex surfaces.

However, if anyone can think of a better, less hoopty way to dress this access hole, I am all ears.

2017-08-16-18-11-41 IMG_8554.JPG 2017-08-16-18-12-07 IMG_8556.JPG 2017-08-16-18-15-39 IMG_8559.JPG 2017-08-16-18-15-46 IMG_8560.JPG 2017-08-16-18-44-19 IMG_8562.JPG 2017-08-16-18-44-50 IMG_8565.JPG 2017-08-16-20-46-30 IMG_8566.JPG

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
very nice - I need to do this as as well, so it's good to know where it is now

thanks!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
@Aracheon how about a nice little threaded plug, knurled cap or thumb screw style?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Well, a year after first posting, and 7 months with the car, and I finally got around to doing it.

Thanks to @Sleeper for noticing the threaded provision at the rear of the right frame rail.

I basically popped off the black diffuser, slipped my hand between the white (covered) bumper fascia, found the location of the threaded provision, then dremeled out a hole big enough to fit the OEM tow hook. Then replaced diffuser panel, made an educated guess on where to start, then Dremeled a hole and expanded it slowly until the collar of the OEM two hook cleared the diffuser panel easily. The hole in the white bumper fascia is way bigger than it needs to be. The hold in the black diffuser panel is very close to exactly the size of the lower collar on the OEM tow hook. The final hole in the black diffuser panel is 1in. diameter.

The threaded provision is left-handed, just like the front, so the same OEM tow hook can be used at both sites. I bought a second OEM tow hook, so the car gets both front and rear hooks when at the track.

Because the necessary hole traverses a complex surface on the black diffuser, I don't have a plastic plug that I can snap on and cover the entire hole. So I used a #6 rubber stopper (from beakers and graduated cylinder use in HS chemistry labs). It actually fits well: it is long enough that it totally plugs the entire hole along all the complex surfaces.

However, if anyone can think of a better, less hoopty way to dress this access hole, I am all ears.

View attachment 203146 View attachment 203154 View attachment 203162 View attachment 203170 View attachment 203178 View attachment 203186 View attachment 203194
Oh dude that's rad! Exactly what I had in mind. This project got put on the back burner with all the other crap I've been doing. Nice work! Now come do mine...

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
I wonder if you could do something like this so that there is only a thin slot with the strap showing through in the black part? Then no plug needed. Probably could cannabalize the bolt from a license plate mounting kit?
Ford-Focus-TrackSTer-tow-strap.jpg
Oh dude that's rad! Exactly what I had in mind. This project got put on the back burner with all the other crap I've been doing. Nice work! Now come do mine...

Reactions: RocketRS

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
How the hell did you find that! Nice.

Edit: Hey man, you'd know this...how far can the RS be towed around safely without messing with the RDU. I'm assuming just put it in neutral and keep speeds low? My local track could leave you with better than a mile of towing if you went off in a bad spot, and weren't able to fire her up again.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
There are images if you search Ford Racing Tow Strap. Some guy has them all over instagram and manufactures them in small batches.

I wish I knew what the spec was for the left hand thread in the tow hooks. English, Metric? Thread size? Rather than buy the license plate kit to throw away most of it.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
How the hell did you find that! Nice.

Edit: Hey man, you'd know this...how far can the RS be towed around safely without messing with the RDU. I'm assuming just put it in neutral and keep speeds low? My local track could leave you with better than a mile of towing if you went off in a bad spot, and weren't able to fire her up again.
I found it when I put on a euro splitter haha. I knew there had to be provisions for a tow hook I'm the rear. Just sucks there's isn't an access slot.

As far as towing it's completely fine on the rdu as long as it isn't powered. The clutch packs aren't locked when the car is off. If the car has to be on for any reason, you can put it in 2wd mode via an AP or pull the fuse in the engine compartment.

There's been sooooo many questions on how this awd works, especially on why we dyno the car in 2wd, so Blake and I will be doing a video showing how it all works. Probably this weekend actually haha

I wonder if you could do something like this so that there is only a thin slot with the strap showing through in the black part? Then no plug needed. Probably could cannabalize the bolt from a license plate mounting kit?
View attachment 203850
That would be cleaner. The only problem I see is if the vehicle is being towed at an angle. The strap may then dig into the bumper. Which at the track, the tow truck is going to hook up any way they can to get the car clear of the track. So it's very possible to cause quite a bit of damage with a strap. And mostly because those tow truck drivers can give two ****s how the car is pulled off the track.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Agreed. The solid hook is the best solution to avoid damage.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I found it when I put on a euro splitter haha. I knew there had to be provisions for a tow hook I'm the rear. Just sucks there's isn't an access slot.

As far as towing it's completely fine on the rdu as long as it isn't powered. The clutch packs aren't locked when the car is off. If the car has to be on for any reason, you can put it in 2wd mode via an AP or pull the fuse in the engine compartment.

There's been sooooo many questions on how this awd works, especially on why we dyno the car in 2wd, so Blake and I will be doing a video showing how it all works. Probably this weekend actually....
Great to know. Thanks. Looking forward to the video.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I was baffled this past week when there was no provision back there. Glad to know that it exists, but is just covered up. I may have to break out the dremel this weekend!

Anyone happen to have the part # of the OEM tow hook so that I can pick up another for the rear? Or, is it cheaper to just get an aftermarket one?

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
I did mine friday while swapping in a euro rear diffuser. I had this little mod planned since the day I first saw this thread thanks everyone for sharing the info!

That little rubber plug you guys used was not available anywhere around where I live so I finally found some round vinyl chair legs protectors that were the correct outside diameter, removed the shine off it by sanding it and drilled a tiny hole to be able to pull it off with a pick (pick now added to the tools I carry under the trunk mat)! Looks just fine just need to sand it with a finer grain to remove the marks I made on it with the rougher grain.

I broke most of the stock diffuser tabs while removing it, couldnt find another way of removing it other than pulling it out without taking the bumper off completely, most of the tabs are hidden behind the rear crash/bumper bar. The tabs are fragile and held on pretty tight by the mating clips. Took some measurements to help anyone planning to do this without taking the diffuser off to first locate the hole and drill it out with a holesaw. It can always be enlarged as required using a pencil grinder which I had to do a bit of after using the holesaw, also allowed cleaning the plastic burrs. It’s pretty close to the threaded hole center, maybe a few thousands off center but the hook base still fits fine for installation.

Hole location (for reference only use at your own risk I guess...):
- 3.85in from the inboard extremity of the reflector lense;
- .875in up from the diffuser “horizontal” lip surface;
- Drill gradually up to 1/4” than verify you are lined up with the threaded hole using a rod + light source (holesaw pilot is 1/4” anyways so this will actually help guiding the holesaw afterwards);
- Use a 1in diameter holesaw to open the hole to final size, enlarge as required using a pencil grinder or other preferred tool and remove burrs.

Overall I’m very pleased with this little mod and will be used when ice racing next winter and during track days this summer. Thinking of spraying the hooks in red to finish it up. Sure hope never to use the hook but at least now it would possible to do so!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,351 Posts
Is the thread already there?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I did this same mod back in the fall, and also broke nearly every single diffuser tab. I just said **** it and went WOT lol

·
Premium Member
3,351 Posts
@MorningZ can you provide the drill bit you used. No need to take off the rear deffuser right?

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
@320icar that’s exactly what happened to me! Figured I would never get the diffuser off any other way so I had to break most of the clips...but I had a replacement so I did not care as much.

How well did it go back in with the broken tabs? Curious if ever put the stock diffuser on if/when I sell that car.
@nicklulu any 1in hole saw (see picture attached) should do, my guess is don’t use one that too cheap/not so sharp, mine was labeled for wood only and left a rougher edge than some better tool might have done like a carbide tip one maybe.

If someone wants to share some measurements to correlate mine you could easily do it without removing the diffuser.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts