Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks for the clarification! Now that I think about it, the WRX did have a short flash burst then stopped. Very similar to the F1 rear light signaling the MGU-K harvesting state.
Still think it looks cool ; p

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Thanks for the clarification! Now that I think about it, the WRX did have a short flash burst then stopped. Very similar to the F1 rear light signaling the MGU-K harvesting state.
Still think it looks cool ; p
Because racecar :)

I should also point out, to @OP's original question regarding the rear fog

Per the same reg doc I linked, brake lights like this can't be below 15" from the pavement surface. I think if the plan was to install a light there for braking indication it would be illegal.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Have you ever driven in rush hour behind someone that has one installed? They're not legal at the federal level who's lighting regulations supersede all state laws. ADHD is life ruining, try having it before you speak. You don't have to have it to find these annoying. In addition, your research was incomplete as you would have found this:

Section 108(a)(2) of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966, that is 15 U.S.C. 1397(a)(2) -- since recited as 49 USC 30122 -- says no manufacturer, distributor, dealer, or motor vehicle repair business shall knowingly render inoperative, in whole or in part, any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle in compliance with an applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard.

"Render inoperative" doesn't just mean to disconnect/disable/remove/break a device, it also means to alter the operation of a device in such a manner that the device no longer conforms to the applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 108 S4 defines stop lamps as steady-burning, and S5.5.10(d) requires the CHMSL to emit a steady-burning light.

I'll trust the opinions of the guys who consult for oems about this.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Have you ever driven in rush hour behind someone that has one installed? They're not legal at the federal level who's lighting regulations supersede all state laws. ADHD is life ruining, try having it before you speak. You don't have to have it to find these annoying. In addition, your research was incomplete as you would have found this:

Section 108(a)(2) of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966, that is 15 U.S.C. 1397(a)(2) -- since recited as 49 USC 30122 -- says no manufacturer, distributor, dealer, or motor vehicle repair business shall knowingly render inoperative, in whole or in part, any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle in compliance with an applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard.

"Render inoperative" doesn't just mean to disconnect/disable/remove/break a device, it also means to alter the operation of a device in such a manner that the device no longer conforms to the applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 108 S4 defines stop lamps as steady-burning, and S5.5.10(d) requires the CHMSL to emit a steady-burning light.

I'll trust the opinions of the guys who consult for oems about this.
See, this is a much better conversation when you provide data and references instead of just saying you find them annoying. See where I'm coming from? Probably not because you're obviously upset.

I read through S5.5.10(d) and you are correct on this- fed does clarify "all other lights" need to be steady burning.

In this situation, you would need a fed to pull you over though?...

I'll also add -- the fed says marijuana is illegal but that doesn't seem to stop CA now does it?

Also- great copy/paste from the candlepower forums.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Why do I need to add a 3rd brake light flasher to my vehicle?
In 2015, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration conducted some research and found that with the addition of a simple brake light flasher device added to the 3rd brake light, rear end collisions reduced by as much as 45%.

The flasher module has a microprocessor which detects when you apply the brakes, causing the 3rd brake light to flash 4 times and then go solid. The flashing will attract the attention of drivers behind you and help avoid getting rear ended.

Not long after the research conducted by the NHTSA, California made it a requirement for all new vehicles to include a 3rd brake light flasher module. The addition of a brake flasher is 100% legal and is fully DOT-compliant, legal in all 50 states. This is not only a visually pleasing upgrade, but improves the safety of the drivers and passengers inside the vehicle. Protect your investment and save lives by adding this simple device that takes less than 20 minutes to install.

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
The flashing lights are different from what OP wants to do.

I looked it up but I couldn't find anything in any NHTSA documents stating whether or not you could do this.

People, please don't spread false or questionable information as this light doesn't interfere with existing lighting installations in the vehicle.

OP, have fun with your kit when it arrives. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Arrived. Installed w/o any nut-ups lol. The cloth wire wrap Ford uses on the wiring harness is really tough to remove, but with a lot of patience, I was able to find the start and remove for reuse. Props for the link to STFlashers up in PDX. STFlasher.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't really consider the factory rear valence a "diffuser" even though it looks like one since it does not nearly have enough surface area underneath the car to be a functional diffuser. On the other hand, an proper aftermarket diffuser, such as the BMSPEC diffuser I am currently running, would cover the underside of the car and ideally extend to the rear subframe and thereby actually reduce drag:

View attachment 241818

This diffuser looks sick! How much does this diffuser cost? And how much of a difference do you feel at the higher speeds?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Back to the original topic, has anyone figured out how to wire this up to a stock (US or Euro) switch? I want to throw rear fogs in my light housings as there is an open spot for the USDM ones. I bought a UK light switch with the rear fog switch to throw in when I figure it all out, I want to the keep the car looking as OEM as possible. We at least have the indicator on the dash, so I imagine if it's figured out the BCM and the dash will acknowledge it and power them.

I have a 2011 wiring diagram and it has an alternate use (secondary tail light IIRC) on the US market models. I imagine it's a FORScan option, or maybe I'll get lucky and the wiring to the controller is different (like the euro radio fascia for the DISP button).

I haven't taken anything apart yet to look. But it seems that I'll have to take the interior apart and trace the wiring back to various connectors to figure this out. Not the first time I've done this type of thing on cars before, but it's one of my least favorite things to do on a car.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Back to the original topic, has anyone figured out how to wire this up to a stock (US or Euro) switch? I want to throw rear fogs in my light housings as there is an open spot for the USDM ones. I bought a UK light switch with the rear fog switch to throw in when I figure it all out, I want to the keep the car looking as OEM as possible. We at least have the indicator on the dash, so I imagine if it's figured out the BCM and the dash will acknowledge it and power them.

I have a 2011 wiring diagram and it has an alternate use (secondary tail light IIRC) on the US market models. I imagine it's a FORScan option, or maybe I'll get lucky and the wiring to the controller is different (like the euro radio fascia for the DISP button).

I haven't taken anything apart yet to look. But it seems that I'll have to take the interior apart and trace the wiring back to various connectors to figure this out. Not the first time I've done this type of thing on cars before, but it's one of my least favorite things to do on a car.
Check out the other rear-fog light thread for all the info needed to wire the foglight and setup support in the BdyCM with forscan.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts