Ford Focus RS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
More from the FP guy

MikeBavaro said:
Im in performance chassis. The RS was mostly developed in Cologne Germany but we have had some input. I know its not a conventional diff but the electronic diff was optimized for the current power levels. I would recommend keeping it stock for a year or 2 until the aftermarket finds out how far they can push the drivetrain. We have nuked several pre production RDU's from track abuse. Did Ford say if the car was built yet?
......P.S. Congrats on the new ride, I wish I had the coin to get one right now.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'm just worried how much the RDU costs to replace when I break mine

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Or if you can get one for a while

·
Registered
367 Posts
retails at $7260 in Aus, so make of that what you will
Well ****...that just makes me hesitant to add power lol. I didn't really want an answer to that lol

·
Registered
339 Posts
Rear diff can't take it

I'm sorry if this is ignorant but surely just like a manual transmission that is struggling for bite because of excessive torque, if that is the major weak point a simple clutch pack upgrade could be in order to deal with the issue. Should bump up the capabilities to the level of the next weak link. If these rdu's fail, the clutches will fail and need replacement not the whole unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
More from the FP guy
Since the RDU was designed by GKN for Ford, I am betting this guy knows about as much about it as I do. Which is to say only what he has heard through the grapevine. Even if he is an accountant at FP chassis :rolleyes:

Of course the RDU was optimized for the stock power levels, but that has nothing to say about its limits. In developing a new product, I am sure they broke plenty of things on purpose. The RDU was probably broken a few times to re-write their algorithms to perform properly, find out limits, and to get the packs functioning reliably under harsh conditions; all in getting ready for production.

Reactions: 2001s2k

·
Registered
504 Posts
pretty sure the clutches are always in a state of various slip in the RDU. I would find it very hard to "break" like one thinks a conventional LSD will break. I think if anything the clutch packs will wear out faster than usual on a car making more power.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm sorry if this is ignorant but surely just like a manual transmission that is struggling for bite because of excessive torque, if that is the major weak point a simple clutch pack upgrade could be in order to deal with the issue. Should bump up the capabilities to the level of the next weak link. If these rdu's fail, the clutches will fail and need replacement not the whole unit.

From a genuine perspective the clutches aren't available as a separate part only the complete RDU, I doubt Ford will be changing this, but I would think more than likely someone in the aftermarket will make a suitable replacement/upgrade (just going from experience with other clutch based diffs)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

From a genuine perspective the clutches aren't available as a separate part only the complete RDU, I doubt Ford will be changing this, but I would think more than likely someone in the aftermarket will make a suitable replacement/upgrade (just going from experience with other clutch based diffs)
I'm sure an aftermarket company will look into producing uprated clutch packs. APR recently released uprated clutch disks for the DSG in the Golf R and S3 so I could see it happening with the RDU. My guess is that it would come from Mountune since they're the 800 pound gorilla.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The ford performance guy isn't exactly wrong. I work for a supplier that isn't GKN. Most likely, GKN designed the unit to handle at least 110% of the rated torque for the life of the car (100,000 or possibly 150,000 miles).

That would mean that a 35lb-ft torque increase should be fine for the life of the car. Ford isn't going to tell you that anything more would be acceptable, because from an automotive engineering standpoint, a failure of a component designed to last the life of the vehicle is exactly that, a failure.

Anything more than that, and you risk decreasing the life of the components. Will it handle am extra 100lb-ft of engine torque? Probably. But, will it last 150,000? Maybe, but they won't tell you because there is a good chance that some borderline component designed meet that mileage would fail first.

Take what I said with a grain of salt. But, in my experience, we don't design components to exactly engine torque without some safety.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
My gut tells me that with hundreds if not thousands of these cars running around, many of them modded, ONE would have grenaded by now if they were really as weak as some people are making them out to be. We saw GT-R transmissions blowing up within weeks of them being out.

Reactions: 412focusrs

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
My gut tells me that with hundreds if not thousands of these cars running around, many of them modded, ONE would have grenaded by now if they were really as weak as some people are making them out to be. We saw GT-R transmissions blowing up within weeks of them being out.
The numbers are MUCH smaller than that. If you posted a poll here and people answered truthfully I'd bet that only about 30% of the members here have a tune.

41 - 60 of 124 Posts