Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Same story here, rear pads completely gone at 42K. Fronts still have quite a bit of life left. The other thing I noticed was the inner rear pads, same side as piston, was much more wore down than the outer rear pads? Is this common with anyone else? I assume this happens since that side makes contact first?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Was about to make a post about this, but looks like I am not alone. Just got back from the dealer after they installed new rotors and pads in the rear. Same as the OP, 30K miles. Fronts are still at a comfy 7 while the rears were at 1. The pads were almost completely gone and the rotors were below spec. Some people mentioned that rear brakes are used for torque vectoring, so that could explain it. I was only aware of the WRX system that uses fronts for brake bias, so the RS must use rears.

Wonder if upgrading to a larger rear brake setup would be a decent approach? More material = more time? Seems like it should have been that way from factory

·
5,608 Posts
Was about to make a post about this, but looks like I am not alone. Just got back from the dealer after they installed new rotors and pads in the rear. Same as the OP, 30K miles. Fronts are still at a comfy 7 while the rears were at 1. The pads were almost completely gone and the rotors were below spec. Some people mentioned that rear brakes are used for torque vectoring, so that could explain it. I was only aware of the WRX system that uses fronts for brake bias, so the RS must use rears.

Wonder if upgrading to a larger rear brake setup would be a decent approach? More material = more time? Seems like it should have been that way from factory
Active brake torque vectoring occurs up the front(unless you have Quaife LSD) and the RDU takes care of the rear.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Active brake torque vectoring occurs up the front(unless you have Quaife LSD) and the RDU takes care of the rear.
In that case, I still don't have a clear explanation for why the rears wear down so rapidly

·
Registered
784 Posts
I know early on a lot of people were disappointed that we didn't get upgraded rear brakes but the argument was made that most of the braking happens at the fronts. I have to wonder if we'd be seeing the same wear if the rears were upgraded like they are on the Evos and STIs. Anyone know if the FoST exhibits the same wear on the rears?

·
Registered
227 Posts
So we all agree the rears last ~30k? I have the same story as everyone else here lol

·
Registered
717 Posts
So we all agree the rears last ~30k? I have the same story as everyone else here lol
Bizarrely, it appears to be the case! Also crazy to me is the fact that the rotors last about as long as the pads as well

·
Registered
437 Posts
is there actually evidence of this written somewhere? i suspect the car is brake based torque vectoring all the time, on all 4, regardless of ECS/TCS being fully disabled.

·
5,608 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah mine wore down at around 35k they said I needed new pads. I got hawk 5.0 for the fronts and regular hps for the rear. Assisted with stoptech slotted rotors all the way around

·
Registered
26 Posts
So after my last trip to the dealer they told me that my rear brakes were going to need changing soon. My front brakes are at 8mm but my rears are at 4mm and 3mm

That seems excessive for the tiny bit that I have done of autocross. The car is at 30k miles but I still feel like that is excessive wear. Anyone have a similar problem so far?
I
So after my last trip to the dealer they told me that my rear brakes were going to need changing soon. My front brakes are at 8mm but my rears are at 4mm and 3mm

That seems excessive for the tiny bit that I have done of autocross. The car is at 30k miles but I still feel like that is excessive wear. Anyone have a similar problem so far?

I think I got ya beat Panafonic. And I share your concerns as well. And I didnt autocross either, or track the car.

During routine service visit wrong rear pads were ordered first time around.

2nd trip to install the correct RS rear pads, and during that visit the rear rotors they tried to turn them, but they felt really should be replaced. No problem covered part. But inconvenient to have to return.

So back I went 1 week later (today during a terrible storm), and the right rotors are there and got installed but the right rear caliper appears to be leaking fluid from the boot. The tech with a keen eye spotted it which is great.

Obviously the whole system could fail at this point. So the car remains at the dealer for a few days. Parts ordered: in 5 days the only blue right rear Focus ST caliper in the country will be installed.

Fortunately I have the extended warranty, so I get to drive a lovely little base model Fiesta hatchback, but Ford really cheaped out on the rear brakes on the RS, I am disappointed.

Morale of the story is to I suppose watch for a similar premature rear brake failure(s) and save the hassle of multiple trips to the mechanics and just get the rotors and pads replaced and have yourselves or your mechanic keep an eye out for similar rear piston seal failures.

If that piston went the whole system would have gone with it.

I cant say I am upset with the service department they caught a huge potential safety issue.

But watch out for the parts bin rear brakes on the RS.

Oh and I again I never tracked the car and drive stop and go about a mile to work.

I think some of the other forum members have the right idea: I was keeping stability control on thinking it saves tires but tires still only lasted about 16k as well (one was taken down by a road hazard and the others fairly worn).

Pay to play I suppose, but I just wanted to make others aware to check for leaking rear brakes.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I

I think I got ya beat Panafonic. And I share your concerns as well. And I didnt autocross either, or track the car.

During routine service visit wrong rear pads were ordered first time around.

2nd trip to install the correct RS rear pads, and during that visit the rear rotors they tried to turn them, but they felt really should be replaced. No problem covered part. But inconvenient to have to return.

So back I went 1 week later (today during a terrible storm), and the right rotors are there and got installed but the right rear caliper appears to be leaking fluid from the boot. The tech with a keen eye spotted it which is great.

Obviously the whole system could fail at this point. So the car remains at the dealer for a few days. Parts ordered: in 5 days the only blue right rear Focus ST caliper in the country will be installed.

Fortunately I have the extended warranty, so I get to drive a lovely little base model Fiesta hatchback, but Ford really cheaped out on the rear brakes on the RS, I am disappointed.

Morale of the story is to I suppose watch for a similar premature rear brake failure(s) and save the hassle of multiple trips to the mechanics and just get the rotors and pads replaced and have yourselves or your mechanic keep an eye out for similar rear piston seal failures.

If that piston went the whole system would have gone with it.

I cant say I am upset with the service department they caught a huge potential safety issue.

But watch out for the parts bin rear brakes on the RS.

Oh and I again I never tracked the car and drive stop and go about a mile to work.

I think some of the other forum members have the right idea: I was keeping stability control on thinking it saves tires but tires still only lasted about 16k as well (one was taken down by a road hazard and the others fairly worn).

Pay to play I suppose, but I just wanted to make others aware to check for leaking rear brakes.
If that piston failed you wouldnt loose all your brakes. Brake systems are split into dual systems, generally diagonally across the car so if you lose the rear left you will also lose the front right and the brake isolation valve will close to prevent fluid loss to the other circuit and a warning light will appear on your dash to let you know you have an issue. The diagonal idea is to still provide braking in a relatively straight line.Split brake systems have been a mandatory requirement for about 50 years. I've had a rear slave cylinder fail and the system actuate and the reduced braking is clearly obvious but not a life flashing before your eyes experience. Not under normal driving conditions anyway. Going for it on the track or a mountain pass would be different.

Ciao

·
Registered
26 Posts
That makes more sense lucky phil, glad to hear it wasnt as big of a deal as the service tech was worried it could be.

I cant really complain too much its being fixed but needing servicing a little sooner than I was expecting.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I know early on a lot of people were disappointed that we didn't get upgraded rear brakes but the argument was made that most of the braking happens at the fronts. I have to wonder if we'd be seeing the same wear if the rears were upgraded like they are on the Evos and STIs. Anyone know if the FoST exhibits the same wear on the rears?
Focus ST has smaller front (332mm/13.1") & rear rotors (271 mm) plus different pad material. Some ST owners do the Brembo front caliper & rotor (350mm) swap and the "Frankenbrake Mod" which uses the RS 302mm rear rotor combined with a Mazda caliper bracket to raise the caliper slightly for the rear rotor to fit. The ST & RS use the same rear caliper with different pad material, they just mount in different locations thus using different rotor sizes and potential braking bias.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wow, this would explain the weird sound I hear when I am trying to take a 90° left hand turn across a busy road almost daily. I'll have to lift up and check the rear brakes when I get a chance. So, heavy enough throttle from a stop and turning, the car applies brakes to the rear outer brake to prevent it from stepping out?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts