Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after my last trip to the dealer they told me that my rear brakes were going to need changing soon. My front brakes are at 8mm but my rears are at 4mm and 3mm

That seems excessive for the tiny bit that I have done of autocross. The car is at 30k miles but I still feel like that is excessive wear. Anyone have a similar problem so far?

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Sounds about right for these OE pads, especially if Auto-Xing.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Yup at 18k my rears are much more worn than the fronts, and that's just spirited DD.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds about right for these OE pads, especially if Auto-Xing.
I had just searched around and didn't see anything about the rear pads wearing down this fast. Thanks for the reply I will keep that in mind.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I've also noticed this in my car, which has done a lot of DD, canyon and several track days, similar wear between the stock pads and my track pads. I'm curious as to why this would be the case since I've always thought that the torque vectoring in the rear is provided by the RDU. Is there any brake vectoring going on in the rears like other performance cars do?

·
Registered
207 Posts
The rear brakes pads are quite small, so they wear fast without any brake based vectoring. The car may be front weight biased, but there's still a lot of weight sitting over those rear wheels for them to do some braking work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 2016 DD w/ just over 16k is in the same state @ ~8mm front / 4mm rear so it seems pretty common on OEM pads. I also disable stability control every drive unless conditions warrant the use.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
It is my understanding that brake application is done in con junction with rear diff vectoring to provide stability and optimal cornering. While aggressively driven SUBARU eat front brakes, bc the car wants to push, the RS tends to use the rear brakes to aid cornering....plus as others mentioned the rear pads are quite small. While rear pads are a little more involved to swap the cost of stock pads is quite low. Just keep an eye on them and replace as needed...just like tires.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The stability control in this car eats rear pads alive

They good news is they are pretty cheap, at least the stock ones are.
This guy gets it. Your traction system is using the rear brakes as it feels necessary based on your driving and road grip. TURN OFF ALL TRACTION CONTROL to help reduce this from happening.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just did my rear brakes, they lasted until 58K miles!

The traction control and stability eat pads from what i can tell, like stated above, front pads are still at 50%

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I've also noticed this in my car, which has done a lot of DD, canyon and several track days, similar wear between the stock pads and my track pads. I'm curious as to why this would be the case since I've always thought that the torque vectoring in the rear is provided by the RDU. Is there any brake vectoring going on in the rears like other performance cars do?
Yep, the TV is there, but the car also uses brake based vectoring as well. The Focus ST's do the brake based stuff too.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Yep, the TV is there, but the car also uses brake based vectoring as well. The Focus ST's do the brake based stuff too.
Interesting... I've always thought it was only at the fronts, hence why having the Quaife LSD only just reduces the amount of brake vectoring happening at the front.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Interesting... I've always thought it was only at the fronts, hence why having the Quaife LSD only just reduces the amount of brake vectoring happening at the front.
It probably uses all 4 a lot less than an ST does because it can use the RDU to steer the car.

My Focus ST dusted horribly, I ran into brake issues on Road America because of trying to put the power down through the front wheels. Even when I wasn't trying to slow down, it was overheating the brakes during acceleration. I had purely stock brakes and OEM fluid though. So I never really expected them to stand up to Road America for long, that trade is murder on brakes.

In the Carousel I could actually feel the inside brake pulsing when I started to feed power in. It was pulsing the inside brakes to pull the nose of the car onto the line I wanted to drive.

I've never had the RS at Road America, just Autobahn Country Club. I really need to get the RS to RA. I have a set of MPSS ready to be sacrificed to RA's tarmac.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm having this same issue at 21k. BUT not only are the pads worn, the rotors are extremely rough and grooved. In the morning or after 6 or so hours of not driving, I can hear the rear brakes, especially the passenger side grind almost as if they are smoothing and setting in again. Maybe about 3 or 4 complete 30mph to 0 stops do they quiet down. Anybody else experiencing this? Also, my car is going in Monday to have the catalytic converter replaced (constant P0420 code), should I ask them if this sort of wear on the rotors is normal? I'm the second owner and have only put 5k miles on this car. Daily driven and I have never tracked/autocrossed this car. Everything is stock minus exhaust.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm not convinced ECS is to blame... I drive in Sport mode with ECS fully disabled 95% of the time (I don't want it cutting in when the stars align and I get a wild urge to kick it sideways on a slick bit of road), but my rear pads still wore out by 52k miles, while my front pads still have nearly half their life left (lots of highway driving). I wonder if it's actually that the rear brakes are just so tiny compared to the front that in order to have balanced braking it puts a disproportionate amount of wear on the back pads.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I'm not convinced ECS is to blame... I drive in Sport mode with ECS fully disabled 95% of the time (I don't want it cutting in when the stars align and I get a wild urge to kick it sideways on a slick bit of road), but my rear pads still wore out by 52k miles, while my front pads still have nearly half their life left (lots of highway driving). I wonder if it's actually that the rear brakes are just so tiny compared to the front that in order to have balanced braking it puts a disproportionate amount of wear on the back pads.
I drove mostly in track mode for the first 12k miles, then once I got v2x with no flapper used sport mode. My rears were down to maybe 25% or less life by 15k when I installed the mountune street pads. Fronts had way more life at about 50%.

·
Registered
638 Posts
On 12500 miles with my vehicle and i changed both F/R rotors & pads. Did I have to do this? Not really and from the measurements of the Rear pads and rotors, under normal driving conditions, I could have stretched these for double the distance I did so far. My driving style, once the summer tires are on, include sport mode with traction control off, or track mode with the same settings.

Sadly, having fun on the road with this car will cost all of us. I would not advise people to drive the RS with pads,rotors and tire close to the minimum recommended safety limits because there is always a need to have a solid brake results should an emergency arise.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Hmmm, I replaced front pads at 31K (worn badly) and the rear are just now ready to be replaced at 38K miles. The difference is that I have 13 track days on these pads.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Strange my fronts are still fine and my rear pads and rotors need to be replaced... No track days but I am hooning in the snow a bunch!
55k km

1 - 20 of 42 Posts