Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - I am looking for some advice from you guys who have owned higher powered vehicles before. Buying this car sight unseen is totally a heart > head exercise, and I am the first to admit that I have bought the all marketing hook, line and sinker. I am also stupidly excited for some reviews.
That being said, I am concerned that I will be spending $55k on a vehicle that I dont intend to track and will probably never get to drive at more than 7/10ths given the fairly epic capabilities designed into it.

My rational side is starting to get a bit itchy. I am a generally safe driver that does a lot of kms for my consulting business, and I know I want something more fun for my daily driver (currently Focus Titanium TDCi) - am I better off saving $20k with an ST, or even more with a FiST?

Its an impossible question to answer, and I know if I downgrade from the RS I will have regrets...but will those regrets outweigh the extra $20k that can go to the mortgage? Dull, first world problems I know, but I would appreciate any input. I already know what my wife and accountant will say!

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Hey all - I am looking for some advice from you guys who have owned higher powered vehicles before. Buying this car sight unseen is totally a heart > head exercise, and I am the first to admit that I have bought the all marketing hook, line and sinker. I am also stupidly excited for some reviews.
That being said, I am concerned that I will be spending $55k on a vehicle that I dont intend to track and will probably never get to drive at more than 7/10ths given the fairly epic capabilities designed into it.

My rational side is starting to get a bit itchy. I am a generally safe driver that does a lot of kms for my consulting business, and I know I want something more fun for my daily driver (currently Focus Titanium TDCi) - am I better off saving $20k with an ST, or even more with a FiST?

Its an impossible question to answer, and I know if I downgrade from the RS I will have regrets...but will those regrets outweigh the extra $20k that can go to the mortgage? Dull, first world problems I know, but I would appreciate any input. I already know what my wife and accountant will say!
Okay, you already know the Focus line; the Titanum is an okay car.

The ST moves you up a level to a FUN car!

Now , if you go to the RS you are going to an ultimate ,fun, awesome car!

If you can afford it, then by all means go with the RS. You do not have to track it or drive like a manic to really enjoy it.

Look at your finances, and make sure your wife if you are married is on board, and if you can afford it go for the RS. If you don't feel you can afford an RS, then a ST is a very nice alternative.

Good Luck!

YMMV,

MidCow3

Okay

·
Registered
167 Posts

Do you want to be right, or do you want to be happy? If you're agonizing over the decision, you'll probably be less happy either way. From your description, I'd save the money and follow your head.

How You Make Decisions Says a Lot About How Happy You Are - WSJ

·
Registered
188 Posts
We own both a FoST and a FiST, both '14s. They are awesome, competent, fun, good handling, and economic cars. The FoST is a bit more refined than the FiST, but the FiST transitions better left-right-left than the FoST, likely due to it's lighter weight. Both have tunes, the FoST the Ford Racing kit, and the FiST a custom tune. The FoST will destroy a set of tires in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. This is the reason I'm getting the RS. The FiST is a bit more reasonable as it only lights them up in 1st and 2nd. ;) You really can't go wrong with either car, but if you want the exclusivity of a limited edition vehicle then get the RS. Remember you will have more options available with either ST, namely colors. And you have better aftermarket support due to the number of vehicles sold. And you'll have used performance parts readily available as well. You gotta weigh it out and figure out the cost vs. benefit of all three.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm in a similar boat (head vs heart on the RS).

I've always wanted a fast Ford and I'm fortunate to be in a position to be able to realise that dream. I've discussed the purchase with family and I'm the first to put my hand up and say this purchase is completely a matter of 'want' vs 'need'.
However its always been a dream.

The short of it is that I will get the car and fulfil the dream. After a year of owning it, if the novelty has worn off or if I feel its 'too much car' and I'm not using anywhere close to its potential then I will sell it.
Even after 9-12 months the car will still hold its value well (given the limited supply/long delivery times).

For the ~$10K loss (estimated) I'll make selling it - at least I've lived out the dream and won't be left wondering 'what if'.
If I go down that route - I'll probably get the Focus ST as its still fun to drive and more than enough power to lose my license.

·
Super Moderator
15,325 Posts
@Derp
I say go for it since it's currently 32 degrees there and no need for snow tires. Currently I own both the FiST and FoST and I'm looking forward to the arrival of the FoRS and a bit more take off and AWD to boot. Seriously, if the FoRS doesn't put too much of a strain on the finances it'll be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha good advice - thanks all. Yeah, I'll probably still go ahead with it. Its not a problem of affordability, more about diminishing returns in fun for the money. For example, I know I can have a good time buzzing around in a FiST - but will I have $25k more fun in an RS? Not to mention I cant get my dog in it (we only get the 2 door here), my wife wont like it, and my contractors will give me a hard time for driving something so cute looking...

Screw it, ill just work harder so I can play at RS level.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is pretty much my line of thinking - glad its not just me! Like you say, theres not going to be any problems selling quickly here, although I think a $10k loss over 12 months would be a bit of a fire sale? Thats almost 20% of the original value gone - nothing depreciates that fast, especially a hero car like the RS.

·
Registered
336 Posts
This is pretty much my line of thinking - glad its not just me! Like you say, theres not going to be any problems selling quickly here, although I think a $10k loss over 12 months would be a bit of a fire sale? Thats almost 20% of the original value gone - nothing depreciates that fast, especially a hero car like the RS.
For me that $10K will include not just depreciation on the car itself but also fuel/insurance/rego/dash cam/detailing etc, i.e. how much that car has cost me to run for the year plus any depreciation.
Having said that, if it exceeds all expectations, it may hold its value and some may even pay a premium to get one 'now'...

If you're not straining the finances to buy one outright - then keep your order, scratch that itch and then see where you want to go after 12 months.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Derp, I think you'll find this is a common issue when jumping in to a decision like this. I too fight the rational vs emotional aspects of the decision. Typically I end up on the rational side, but this time round I've allowed the emotion to rule. In essence, it will come down to your personal situation, but I can justify mine on the grounds that:

A. I'm in a financially sound position
B. I've worked hard to get to said position, so now want to enjoy some of the fruits of my efforts
C. I'm a car nut who loves driving

Having driven a friends A45 a fair bit, I can say that the theatre that it brings to a normal drive makes every time special. I think the RS will be along the same lines. I currently have an ST, which is fun to drive but does lack that extra bit of X factor to it. Its certainly got enough power for every day driving, so I dont think you'd be shortchanged there.

One key point you note, which you definitely should get sorted, is to get the wife on board. This will help no end, and was one of the first things I did prior to placing a deposit. Luckily my wife understands my addiction to anything car related!

Hope that helps....

·
Registered
116 Posts
Same boat as you Derp, and similar thinking to Ashy. I was a relatively early adopter of the Evo 8 back in 2003 when they came out in the States and I was working in Seattle at the time. Totally heart over head decision, bought it without test driving it because I'd always wanted an Evo. As a relatively sensible driver I rarely pushed the car to its limits, but the few times a month I could (isolated areas with good visibility and no one around for miles) it made it all worthwhile. Even when I wasn't pushing it, just knowing the power and traction capabilities I had on tap made docile driving that much more worth it. Coupled with the exclusivity at the time (friendly honks, waves and thumbs up at lights, people coming up to chat while I fueled, observing admirers walking around it while parked) all contributed to the experience.

I also have a mortgage and other (more sensible?) things I should spend the money on, but looking back at my time with the Evo, all I remember was the joy of being in the car, not the opportunity cost of owning it. As others have mentioned in their replies, if your partner is supportive (happy wife happy life!) then my $AUD0.02 cents is it's better to tick this experience off now while you're able, and let the mortgage run another year :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
get the wife on board
She is completely on board - I couldnt ask for more support. Its been a tough couple of years building the business to a point where I know I can afford something like this without drama. Like you, I feel like I have earned this, and like @ashy I have wanted a badass turbo 4 since I hit high school!
My only real spouse related problem is that she has been reading all the car blogs over my shoulder and is deciding what car she wants next...I told her I would help maintain her bicycle (she only commutes 6km/day!) which didnt win me any points :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nah man, don't get the RS. You can always just keep your money and... you know, never spend it and get buried with it when you die or something. Or, totally just spend it on your wife. You could buy her a new car, new wardrobe... hell, you could even pay for her to go on a few dates in her new car and her new clothes with a new man. Think how happy you could make her feel! Wouldn't that in turn make you feel amazing!!!
Or, buy a focus RS and enjoy it every single time you drive it for what it's worth and let her ride her bicycle to work in the rain.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I am very fortunate that I own my house(paid off few years back), have a couple of hobby sportbikes, a track car and a daily I will keep. I am a huge RS fan from back in the early 80's, RS1600/RS2000 etc I want a new car which is a bit special and has great performance but don't want to spend $80K, the RS fills exactly what I need, I probably won't drive it too much over winter as it will be a hobby car I plan keeping for a very long time. I tend to buy cars I really like and keep them for a long time.

·
Registered
334 Posts
She is completely on board - I couldnt ask for more support. Its been a tough couple of years building the business to a point where I know I can afford something like this without drama. Like you, I feel like I have earned this, and like @ashy I have wanted a badass turbo 4 since I hit high school!
My only real spouse related problem is that she has been reading all the car blogs over my shoulder and is deciding what car she wants next...I told her I would help maintain her bicycle (she only commutes 6km/day!) which didnt win me any points :D
It's good that your wife is on board. I'm lucky that my fiancé was totally on board with the purchase and is excited just to help me buy it (outside of getting an apartment, it's our first real purchase together). I think it'll make it much easier to own knowing that you have the support.

Plus, I also promised to help her get the Fiat 500 she wants (she loved the Abarth!) after I get the RS. So maybe you could push you wife to also get an awesome car in return!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've had my FoST for a year and a half... Still one of the best bang-for-buck fun vehicles. I lightly modded and tuned it (stage 2 E30) and it has more power than I can use 95% of the time because I commute in rush hour.

However, I love it so much, I can't imagine not getting the RS... Plus, I'm ready for AWD and drift-mode... And more track days. I just know the ST has the more reasonable price.

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
I've had my FoST for a year and a half... Still one of the best bang-for-buck fun vehicles. I lightly modded and tuned it (stage 2 E30) and it has more power than I can use 95% of the time because I commute in rush hour.

However, I love it so much, I can't imagine not getting the RS... Plus, I'm ready for AWD and drift-mode... And more track days.
This sentence is so interesting to me. I'm a big car enthusiast but after selling my modded 370Z three years ago I was all about getting into an econobox to settle down a bit since I was getting married and thinking about a house, kids...Thought the Focus was a cool looking car and started to research them. Realized I could get into an ST1 for under $23k and said what the hell, keep some of the fun and get an all around convenient car for a hell of a price. Never had owned a Ford before and thought they were mostly crap for the longest time. (Let's admit it, they had a few bad years).

Now, I feel exactly as you do having owned an ST. I literally can't imagine not owning an RS. Thankfully we're settled now and baby # 1 is here, happy and healthy and I'm financially able so my order is in but I find it very interesting to find so many similar sentiments on this forum of people who own STs just all over the RS. Big props to Ford, they've turned things up a notch and it's obvious that they've turned things around in a way I haven't really seen done before introducing fun and exciting cars at a great value.

To answer your question OP, yes, get the RS and enjoy the hell out of it, but if you REALLY want to appreciate its potential drive an ST around for a little bit.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I fully understand your dilemma. I sold my Evo last year and have tried living with just driving my wife's Forester XT but I can't do it. I have had a number of performance cars and have sold the last couple due to only driving on weekends mainly. So for me it's only a weekend car but for me the RS seems a bit more special than an Evo or STI. I really look forward to taking my car out on the weekend, and having s car like this really makes every drive an event in itself.

Like some of you guys I have worked really hard to get to where I am and have the majority of our mortgage paid off and some investments. So for me I guess I justify it by the fact that I am not putting all my eggs into one basket I order to afford the car and I have always been obsessed with performance cars but never had the time for a dedicated race car. For me this sits somewhere in between. I hope that it really is as special as the hype. To me it makes more sense to own as a weekend/track car similar to a sports car or exotic where you wouldn't normally drive it daily anyway (although the RS is more than capable of this).

The other thing is when I am 65 (no offence) do I really want to have missed out on driving some of the hero cars like the RS. By then there probably won't be any manual cars and I'll be wanting a lounge room on wheels that drives itself.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Derp, firstly congratulations on getting the business up and running successfully and being in a great mutually supportive relationship. Those are not insignificant achievements and often unfortunately one can't be done without sacrificing the other.

I drive a Focus ST and this is a very different car to a Titanium in so many ways, as I expect the RS to be over the ST. My dealer had a Focus ST and wrote it off thanks to a kangaroo. He is now driving a Focus S, which he says is nothing like a ST and regretting the whole experience.

I would frame it like this: How important is a car to you? and What does a car mean to you?

I'm a car nut and have been since I was a little tacker and for me, the RS has a visceral element with its decades long rally pedigree and lineage. It's in my blood if you like and that's why I'm doing this and will keep this car as long as I can because it is an icon. I know it will be a great drive, have the aural voice to let other's know what it is and what it isn't. It will be distinctive, safe, comfortable, competent and provide years of service without diminishing in appeal. That is what drives me to forge ahead without hesitation. Where do you see yourself? I know from experience, that you don't want to not do something and years later, say to yourself, 'if only'. Yes, it's a substantial financial outlay, but if you have your own business there could be tax advantages that could lessen the impact of the outlay. In a relatively short time though, you'll realise that the 'outlay' was affordable. It is important though to ensure your 'better half' is with you on this. I know this is a very personal 'conundrum' and I don't know you, so I don't want to presume to tell you what you should do. However, hopefully I have provided some things to think about and be clearer in your mind as to the direction you wish to go............:)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
17 Participants
my12st
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing