21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Nice description of events. What was the OAT at the time of the engine failure?

Ciao
It had been warm day, but by 7pm when the event occurred it had cooled down to about 80F. Engine was fully warmed up.

Reason is because it’s so Awsome. Nothing like the pull from down low. Granted like you said it is a risk. But man do it love the feeling. Can’t say it’s ever done me wrong. All 3 of mine I run a lot of shell and low rpm pulls. Never an issue so I would lean towards the oil doing it.
I'm pretty sure if I'd downshifted to 3rd, the explosion wouldn't have happened. Just got lazy. Still, the etune process would seem to put even greater stress on the engine (flooring it in 3rd @ 2000rpm, albeit on a flat road). Also, it was a couple seconds after flooring it that the engine exploded, and by then it was over 3000rpm.

More than likely not the tune as those tend to show sooner than later so if that tune has been run for a while it’s more than likely not that.
Second probably not fuel being Shell I have run almost shell only in mine as it’s the busiest one by my house. Livernois said they seem to notice busy station no matter the brand are better no old fuel. Second part on that who the heck would let a tuner tune so close to the edge the additives could cause a boom. Sounds like a window in your block waiting to happen.
Most likely lspi now some tuners say they can help with it by watching the tunes. Now remember help not prevent.
I’ve logged more than 800k miles on tuned ecoboost engines all tuned and never had an issue and I drive it like a diesel 1800k wide open. All the time. Only ever ran amsoil which claims to be very good at lspi. So more likely it is you oil. I know my tune on the dyno was graphed from like 1500rpm but I would put my money on it being better oil for that issues.
Thanks, yes, the tune has been on the car for over 2 years. So Amsoil is the recommendation? 5w30?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah I stay away from Shell religiously, but also avoid any low end pulls. There's literally no need to put extra strain on it by not downshifting if you're gonna floor it anyways.
I've heard of the Shell thing on the Fiesta ST forums but it seemed like only Tune+ was saying not to use Shell, or at least that's where the debate was centered around. I wasn't aware this was a bigger thing.

Reason is because it’s so Awsome. Nothing like the pull from down low. Granted like you said it is a risk. But man do it love the feeling. Can’t say it’s ever done me wrong. All 3 of mine I run a lot of shell and low rpm pulls. Never an issue so I would lean towards the oil doing it.

I can agree, though not with the RS. The Fiesta ST I had accelerated so fast from 1500 rpm and dare I say even from 1000 rpm. Even in 6th. I would never downshift to pass unless I was driving up a hill. Man I beat the snot out of that car.

The RS doesn't feel as good in low revs, and is way more expensive in literally every way than the FiST, so I don't even bother. I just stay above 2k and call it a day...unless I want to floor it, then 3k it is.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
It had been warm day, but by 7pm when the event occurred it had cooled down to about 80F. Engine was fully warmed up.

I'm pretty sure if I'd downshifted to 3rd, the explosion wouldn't have happened. Just got lazy. Still, the etune process would seem to put even greater stress on the engine (flooring it in 3rd @ 2000rpm, albeit on a flat road). Also, it was a couple seconds after flooring it that the engine exploded, and by then it was over 3000rpm.

Thanks, yes, the tune has been on the car for over 2 years. So Amsoil is the recommendation? 5w30?
Silly question, do you drive with the radio on? and turned up a little? just interested to know if you could have heard it start to knock without the entertainment system on, if it was on.

Ciao

·
Registered
998 Posts
I stick with amsoil 5w50. Just because they have it and it’s the same price as the 5w30 amsoil I run in my truck.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Man sucks to hear this, sorry about your engine. I have been running a Tune from Randy back when he was at Mountune for about 4 years now without issue. I will say that it may not be as aggressive of a tune as others have, but I didn't want anything crazy. Was shooting for about 375hp crank.

Anyway I have used Amsoil 5w-50 since putting the tune on to help protect against LSPI. That coupled with no flooring it below like 2500 rpm especially on a cold engine, always downshifting to pass on the interstate and hopefully I'm pretty well protected.

Hope you're back on the road soon.

·
Registered
Sept/2016
343 Posts
Ugh, this puts a huge damper on my excitement to finish installing my B7 kit and getting the tune on.
For the one guy to LSPI his engine, there's many many many more who haven't. Don't lug it down low just for some cool wooshie noises and a couple pops, should be just fine. Also, consider a tune instead of that OTS garbage they give you.

·
Registered
2018 NB LE
46 Posts
For the one guy to LSPI his engine, there's many many many more who haven't. Don't lug it down low just for some cool wooshie noises and a couple pops, should be just fine. Also, consider a tune instead of that OTS garbage they give you.
Absolutely, you really only hear about the popped motors, not the thousands of perfectly okay ones.

Definitely still going to have Randy tune it once the parts are on, just always puts me on edge when one pops.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Silly question, do you drive with the radio on? and turned up a little? just interested to know if you could have heard it start to knock without the entertainment system on, if it was on.

Ciao
I usually have the radio on, but not loud. Honestly, I haven't heard a car engine knock since driving my Dad's '69 Barracuda. Engine management has gotten really good. I don't think there was any warning from knocking.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I usually have the radio on, but not loud. Honestly, I haven't heard a car engine knock since driving my Dad's '69 Barracuda. Engine management has gotten really good. I don't think there was any warning from knocking.
Ok cool just wondering. Seems astounding there is no latitude or warning either audible or engine management wise if it was indeed LSPI. I drive with the radio off listening for unusual noises in all my cars like a stupid mother unless I'm on a long trip. My wife never complains probably because as a woman whos father was a professional automotive tester and developer it seems normal, lol.
Ciao

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
LSPI don’t break rods. Plug gaps don’t break rods either.
You poor fellow. Ignorance is indeed bliss, huh? I didn't understand the what/why at first, I'm a 6 decades+ hotrodder, but upon educating myself, it all makes sense how I popped 2 engines because of the oil I was running. Maybe someday, you'll learn as well. Don't stop at one source, dig as far as you can to find the truth.

Reactions: JamoRS

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
id blame fuel. If it was tune related it would have died a long time ago

shell is apparently junk for these cars anyway, logs aren’t pretty when I’ve used it. So even if it was true 93, it’s no good

LSPI. Low-speed pre-ignition - Wikipedia. I'd check the gaps and see if they expanded. ( A known issue with those plugs.)
Almost 3000 rpm. That’s not low engine speed

·
Registered
662 Posts
id blame fuel. If it was tune related it would have died a long time ago

shell is apparently junk for these cars anyway, logs aren’t pretty when I’ve used it. So even if it was true 93, it’s no good

Almost 3000 rpm. That’s not low engine speed
You are more then welcome to find a steep hill put your car in 4th going 45 then floor it and get back to me...just keep doing that please. (y)

·
Registered
121 Posts
From that blog entry above...
The OEMs have learned a lot since the DISI. Take the Ford Ecoboost for example, it doesn’t toss rods like the DISI did. However we have seen it damage pistons and ringlands from the same LSPI phenomenon numerous times. The EcoBoost is an evolution of the DISI using the lessons learned from the early days of tGDI engines.
Then all the talk about API SP oil vs older oils... I just want to sleep at night. :oops:

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
LSPI don’t break rods. Plug gaps don’t break rods either.
No but it does break pistons and when you break a piston (as opposed to burning one) the rod follows in 99% of cases.

Ciao

21 - 40 of 81 Posts