Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife’s daily driver is a nitrous blue rs with rs2 package. We love the car, however too say we have had some warranty work on this vehicle is a gross understatement. @7k miles Head replacement head gasket, @16k miles PTU replacement, and now with @ 39k miles RDU replacement. Has anyone ever had similar issues? I want to keep this car but out of warranty seems super risky. Only ever auto-crossed car 2 times, never tracked. We flip summer and winter tires depending on season.

·
Premium Member
6,026 Posts
Welcome!

Well, you've been here since 2017 but first post.

I'm at 29,000 miles and no issues so far.

Seems you hit most of the major parts..... I wold say get it fixed and keep it.

If you plan to sell it, you'll miss it...... but it's a seller's market right now.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
86K miles, no RDU issues that i know of, only issues I have had is with the WhiteLine Swaybars and Endlinks i put on. i think the GPS is starting to act funky, but in all honesty with the MyFordTouch/Sync modifications I have done / upgraded its almost expected at this point.

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
These things are first and foremost performance cars, which makes them...needy.
How attached is your wife to it? Everything has a tipping point.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These things are first and foremost performance cars, which makes them...needy.
How attached is your wife to it? Everything has a tipping point.
she likes the car, We have had a couple new vehicles over the years and I've never heard of a car with so many driveline, and engine problems. I have a new bronco badlands with sasquatch package scheduled for delivery in July, and this is sparked a convo between me and the wife. I say we trade it and she's indecisive. She would take my current DD, 328I manual sport package, not nearly as powerful as the RS, it is a fun car and the ride is a whole heck of a lot better then RS.

·
Registered
2017 Focus RS Nitrous Blue
198 Posts
My car was a buyback, but I can see from the records the dealership who initially fixed the issue had no idea what else was affected and the expected things failed subsequently.

Now that they're all fixed I've had zero issues, but I rarely drive it (less than 5k miles in a year) so I'm probably not a good long-term example.

My point is maybe the power takeoff/RDU was somehow related, and now that the whole driveline has been replaced you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
she likes the car, We have had a couple new vehicles over the years and I've never heard of a car with so many driveline, and engine problems. I have a new bronco badlands with sasquatch package scheduled for delivery in July, and this is sparked a convo between me and the wife. I say we trade it and she's indecisive. She would take my current DD, 328I manual sport package, not nearly as powerful as the RS, it is a fun car and the ride is a whole heck of a lot better then RS.
The good news is, you have options. The bad news is, you have options. Lots to consider.
I agree with your statement about problems. It almost seems like Ford sold an experiment. I read all this, day in and day out, and find myself waiting for the expected boom, crunch, or grind.
Hang in there, at some point, you will see a clear path. Or you can do what always works for me...Do whatever your wife says.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
What was the problem with the RDU?
We were taking a Sunday drive, nothing out of norm. In the middle of the corner the instrument cluster lit up and said “awd fault”. All wheel drive disabled see dealer for service. 2 days later we took the car in. They didn’t think it was a big deal, cleared the code the code never showed up again. then they sent the error code to Ford tech line. 2 days later the dealer called us and said Ford authorized the replacement of our RDU. The service advisor was shocked as was I. He told me once they pulled the RDU and the tech inspected it he would give me a more detailed breakdown. We are currently waiting for Ford to ship the RDU to dealership.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
That is odd, not heard of many issues with the RDU even though there was lots of talk before the car reached the market where some people were saying they would be the biggest problem. I think some of the AWD stuff suffers from poor programming of the system. Example: Why would they program it so that if the exhaust valve is not working right, it disables the AWD system? That is just dumb.

I am, and likely other plan to be long term owners are likely, looking forward to what you hear back about why you needed the RDU.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Seems the AWD disabled due to overheating on mountain roads, happened to me before only need more cooling on that diff. Waiting on more feedbacks from tech )

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seems the AWD disabled due to overheating on mountain roads, happened to me before only need more cooling on that diff. Waiting on more feedbacks from tech )
The Ford dealership send awd code the Ford tech line. They authorized full replacement. This wasn’t anything that I would expect as over heating problems. This was just standard street driving. I liken it to driving miss daisy.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
How was maintenance performed on the RDU?
Every yearly revision they perform the necessary out of my own wallet.
In addition every 2-3 track days I perform another revision on the RDU.
25k miles and zero issues with it.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes and Ford IDS software diagnostics.
This is the wife’s daily driver. Ford recommended we change RDU fluid every 5 years or 60k for street driving. I haven’t tracked this car at all. I did 2 small town auto-crossing events. Nothing that the stock car can’t handle with out fluid change. I expect the car to go in for replacement this week. I will let you know what the results for the failure once the old RDU is out of the car.

·
Registered
104 Posts
GKN makes the RDU for RS so most likely Ford is getting part for free under drivetrain warranty from GKN.

Reactions: NitrousRS2

·
Registered
58 Posts
Factory cat went out twice on my RS, 1 at 40k miles then again at 65k miles, ptu gave out at 69k miles,
Then the alternator at 70k, then the engine Bc of the head gasket failure, at 86k car has a new transmission and engine all from Ford, thanks to an aftermarket warranty from carmax. Little things that have failed; purge valve failing, the inside climate thermometer, and a few fog light bezels that flew away LOL, cars up for sale ! With a transferable warranty until 120k miles

1 - 20 of 27 Posts