Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All clutches eventually wear down. Since the RDU of the RS is clutch based, I'm wondering that how long I can enjoy the ride before it gives up. Kind of sad to think about it =(

·
5,582 Posts
Hello and :welcome2: to focusrs.org

Given your question, I would say depending on how often you race the car.
The rdu has overheat protection and will turn itself off and engage fwd if overworked.

If you do normal city /highway drive I'd say it will last long time. If it was problematic, then in the manual it would say replace rdu but it doesn't.

So should last long time.
:)

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
An indicator maybe that other brands of cars using similar vectoring techniques have not routinely experienced rear clutch failures or replacement to my knowledge. When they have had issues it usually was an electronic/sensor failure vs clutch failure. As mentioned above, racing or use that heavily utilizes the clutches would increase wear and premature replacement.....how much impact is likely unknown and highly variable.

If you're getting RDU shut down then obviously you're generating more clutch use/slippage and over heating, primary factors in clutch wear.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
also the RDU clutches are not dry, they are wet - generally wet clutches are much better at tolerating slippage, which the RDU experiences a lot of slippage by design

·
Registered
624 Posts
Agree with above, also electronic clutch should last longer than a clutch in a manual transmission because the computer can execute perfect engagement with minimal slippage every time.

Still, I'm gonna get the long term 8yr 125k warranty in case of a big engine or AWD failure. Peace of mind (and resale value) is worth $1.5k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
read on another forum from that one RDU guy a while ago before the car was out ( think he was from GKN or whoever did the RS RDU ) stated that it was designed for average of 150K miles

·
Registered
388 Posts
This question is ridiculous.
not if you owned a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 8,9,10 before as they all have the rear ACD pump failing (unless you protected it from the start) after 60-80k miles or so and it was very expensive (Mitsubishi was selling it, a part they know will 100% fail... 5k in my country O_O)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Agree with above, also electronic clutch should last longer than a clutch in a manual transmission because the computer can execute perfect engagement with minimal slippage every time.
Still, I'm gonna get the long term 8yr 125k warranty in case of a big engine or AWD failure. Peace of mind (and resale value) is worth $1.5k
I doubt this would be covered, it is a wear part after all the warranties are always limited.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
This question is ridiculous.
not if you owned a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 8,9,10 before as they all have the rear ACD pump failing (unless you protected it from the start) after 60-80k miles or so and it was very expensive (Mitsubishi was selling it, a part they know will 100% fail... 5k in my country O_O)
Why is this question rediculous? quite valid in my view for someone that is into ownership for the long term. I have heard 150000 miles somewhere as a service life as well. By then there will probably be non OEM people overhauling them.

Ciao

·
Registered
347 Posts
or.. any car that uses clutch plates designed to slip against each other in any capacity.. clutches, rear differentials, front differentials, etc - ironically the ACD pump is not related, most ACD pump failures are due to salt corrosion of the pump itself, nothing related to clutch plates.

Clutch packs are designed to slip & wear, but in general will have a pretty darn long life. 150k miles before replacing clutch plates in the RDU sounds pretty darn good to me.

FWIW also to consider - the more power, the more accelerated the wear can be. and it's not necessarily linear.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
There are two RDUs on NA eBay right now.

Getum while they're cheap.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Why is this question rediculous? quite valid in my view for someone that is into ownership for the long term. I have heard 150000 miles somewhere as a service life as well. By then there will probably be non OEM people overhauling them.

Ciao
Because the car is 2 years old and nobody knows yet. Has anyone busted their RDU? Please chime in.

We'll know in a few more years when we have more data, but to ask this question now is as I stated before.

There's also a word I'd like to introduce to you: variables. So many things to consider, same as anything else.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Because the car is 2 years old and nobody knows yet. Has anyone busted their RDU? Please chime in.

We'll know in a few more years when we have more data, but to ask this question now is as I stated before.

There's also a word I'd like to introduce to you: variables. So many things to consider, same as anything else.
Hey slider, how long do you think my turn signal bulb will last?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Magnus moss act protects us in this case. You can use any aftermarket fluid that meets manufacturers spec.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts