Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder how many miles you can get out of the RDU, until a fluid change is needed, if the car was driven like a sane individual, compared to an insane, non-stop, drifter!!!

If there is anyone that will be driving the hell out of their car on the track, please update when your RDU light turns on for a fluid change!!! I want to know how many Hoonigan miles you get out of it between fluid changes!?

Anyone have any guestimates!?!?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I wonder how many miles you can get out of the RDU, until a fluid change is needed, if the car was driven like a sane individual, compared to an insane, non-stop, drifter!!!

If there is anyone that will be driving the hell out of their car on the track, please update when your RDU light turns on for a fluid change!!! I want to know how many Hoonigan miles you get out of it between fluid changes!?

Anyone have in guestimates!?!?
According to reviewers, Ford, and GKN, all of the miles. There is no regular fluid change interval. As long as you don't track it, you won't have to change the fluid and it will be under warranty forever. If you do track it, as long as you change the fluid when it tells you, it will still be warrantied forever. Also according to Ford, the light comes on after 800km of track use. I don't know if that's 800km of being in Track mode or if it's 800km of RDU temps above a certain threshold or how they gauge it, but there are official answers to both of your questions.

·
Banned
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to reviewers, Ford, and GKN, all of the miles. There is no regular fluid change interval. As long as you don't track it, you won't have to change the fluid and it will be under warranty forever. If you do track it, as long as you change the fluid when it tells you, it will still be warrantied forever. Also according to Ford, the light comes on after 800km of track use. I don't know if that's 800km of being in Track mode or if it's 800km of RDU temps above a certain threshold or how they gauge it, but there are official answers to both of your questions.
I've read that, but i doubt that the fluid is good FOREVER if i drive like a granny. All fluids on a car have to be changed at some point. Yes, we ignore some of them that aren't that important, but i refuse to believe that Ford invented some magical fluid that doesn't go bad!!!! That would be the first car fluid in history!!! lol

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I've read that, but i doubt that the fluid is good FOREVER if i drive like a granny. All fluids on a car have to be changed at some point. Yes, we ignore some of them that aren't that important, but i refuse to believe that Ford invented some magical fluid that doesn't go bad!!!! That would be the first car fluid in history!!! lol
That would be far from the first. Many manufacturers don't even include dipsticks in automatic transmissions because you're never supposed to change the fluid. Same with the rear ends on many low-end AWD systems. If they stay full and free from contaminants, they are never supposed to be serviced for the life of the car.

·
Banned
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would be far from the first. Many manufacturers don't even include dipsticks in automatic transmissions because you're never supposed to change the fluid. Same with the rear ends on many low-end AWD systems. If they stay full and free from contaminants, they are never supposed to be serviced for the life of the car.
I've had a car in the past with no dipstick for the transmission......... one day i went ahead and changed it after this old repair man begged me to. I watched it all slowly ooze out..... it DID NOT look pretty. That's why i don't trust that stuff. I know manufacturers have their suggestions, but we must remember that they get it wrong sometimes and we don't know it until there's a recall! so........
I guess i'm gonna be the one to pay for unnecessary changes then. At 100,000 miles, i'm gonna change it regardless. it just wouldn't feel right! lol

My car is my baby! ha

·
Registered
148 Posts
I plan on doing a full service myself to the trans, ptu, and rdu at around 1000 to 1500 miles. This way I know everything is filled correctly and I don't have to worry about possible contaminates from the break in process.

Then again every 30000 miles

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Ford considers the fluid in the Mustang read ends to be a "lifetime" fluid. The "lifetime" is also considered to be 150,000 miles. For those that will not track the car, it's probably ok to change the fluid every 50,000 for piece of mind. The RDU needs 890ml of 75w85 synthetic, if you opt to upgrade to Redline or Amsoil, you'll be out $15 for a liter.

For me personally, it will get changed after every track day, along with brake fluid and oil.

·
Banned
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah, i just remembered!! I have another Ford vehicle that had fluid in the rear end that was supposed to last a lifetime.............after having to replace the whole rear end, i realized that wasn't the case. Was even told by Ford that the fluid needed to be changed; caused a failure. ripped up gears, rack and pinion and not covered for some strange reason.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Oh yeah, i just remembered!! I have another Ford vehicle that had fluid in the rear end that was supposed to last a lifetime.............after having to replace the whole rear end, i realized that wasn't the case. Was even told by Ford that the fluid needed to be changed; caused a failure. ripped up gears, rack and pinion and not covered for some strange reason.
Rack and pinion on the rear end?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
kdarbuckle
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing