Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving home last week and about a 1/2 mile away from my house, I noticed the temp gauge slowly creeping up. I made it to my driveway (where the temp gauge settled at 3/4 of the way up). Upon exiting my car, I could smell coolant. Popped the hood and saw coolant all over the driver's side of the engine bay. Then the car started dumping coolant from the bottom of the car. After temporarily freaking out fearing I royally f*cked my engine, I got it towed to a local dealer. They said that the radiator separated on the driver's side where the plastic meets the metal - also said they've never seen that with these cars. Got it covered under warranty, but thought I'd share my experience. My RS only has 9500 miles on it. Have any of you seen this?

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
Not on the RS. What cause the separation?

Ask them to do a pressure leak test.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

They are not sure what caused it, but they did pressure test afterwards and the car passed.

·
Registered
583 Posts

Texas heat, lol. Even great ones fail, it happens, but stoked your fine and car it seems.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
If they were not going to cover it under warranty I was going to suggest get the All aluminum radiator from Mountune.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I haven’t had time to research, I’m assuming our OEM radiator has plastic components? If so, what are the popular all-aluminum replacements? Which ones are OEM drop-in aka same dimension and mounting points?

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
They have plastic end caps as most OEM radiators have.

Mountune and Mishimoto would be the two of the top all aluminum radiators for the RS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts