Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here a a couple of questions I'm hoping the initial round of reviews will speak to. (Add your own and we can check back on these later):

1. Is the RS's ride tolerable for daily driving on real roads, with all their imperfections? How does it compare to others in the segment/price range (Golf R, STI, M235i, etc.) in this respect?

Rationale for question: the RS's spring rates are 30-40% stiffer than the FoST's, and the development team has stated that the firmer of the 2 damper settings is only suitable for the glassiest of tracks it's so firm - they used the "normal" setting for their Ring run as it gave a better time, and even used it on VIR in the recent shotgun-ride tests.

2. Does the RS maintain a high "fun factor" when been slugged around at 3/10ths in daily driving, or is it only really engaging when being driven at or near the limit?

Rationale for question: As many owners and ex-owners of high-performance cars can attest (see miata.net for numerous threads about this), the extraordinarily high performance limits of these vehicles can often work against their enjoyability in day to day driving - they are so capable that driving them at anything less than twice the legal limit is either boring or frustrating. The RS is obviously a high performance car - did it avoid this trap? (A Ford engineer did cite this as a goal for the team in one of those development videos.)

·
Registered
2,441 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
people have worrying so much about the normal mode ride comfort but i coulda sworn they've stated multiple times this will make a nice road trip car or whatever.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
people have worrying so much about the normal mode ride comfort but i coulda sworn they've stated multiple times this will make a nice road trip car or whatever.
I have seen this mentioned a few times. I've been driving different cars with aftermarket suspensions(with really stiff settings) for nearly a decade now. It doesn't matter how "stiff" the suspension is it will still feel plenty soft to me.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Ive never had a car like that but my suspension feels like there are some problems so it should feel like an upgrade regardless. Just had to put a new battery and axle in and on my way home its flashing stop check coolant.... I just need it to last me like 5 more months of short commuting!!!

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
True. Jan/Feb magazine articles should be very revealing. But if the ride was awful, someone getting driven around, and a lot of journalists got those rides, someone would have mentioned it by now. I would call that a bunch of 3rd party assessments.

Jim

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I don't know how much ride quality assessment would be going on when you are being tossed around for 3 or 4 minutes as the car is pushed to its limits, and powersliding. And don't forget these drives took place on a relatively smooth race track, not the typically trashed roads found in Toronto.

Suspension harshness in my experience often isn't noticed in the first few minutes of driving something new and exciting like the RS - it only starts to wear on you after you've had more time behind the wheel.

Think back to the initial reviews of the Toyobaru twins - in the first drives there were no complaints about the ride quality, but they certainly appeared later in the more thorough reviews and comparisons.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Fair enough. We'll see soon enough.

Jim

·
Registered
317 Posts
If someone says one bad thing about the RS.....

Come on its going to be great, why else would we all order one sight unseen, no reviews, no test drive...

Will you cancel your order if some candy ass reviewer, that just stepped out of an E-class told you ride to harsh? I think not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
5 Participants
RS Crazy
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing