Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2018 focus rs with 16k miles on it. I just purchased oem spark plugs and 5w50 oil from ford parts website. I dont need to “gap” the plugs right? If its oem then you just plug and play?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
You should always at least check the gaps before installing. They are generally correct from the factory but its easy to do and eliminates any variables if you swap out the plugs and subsequently have some sort of running issue. So at least you know the plug gaps are correct if you have an operating change.
A set of feelers are like 2 bucks.Everyone needs a set.

Ciao

·
Registered
367 Posts
You should always at least check the gaps before installing. They are generally correct from the factory but its easy to do and eliminates any variables if you swap out the plugs and subsequently have some sort of running issue. So at least you know the plug gaps are correct if you have an operating change.
A set of feelers are like 2 bucks.Everyone needs a set.

Ciao
Hey Phil, I just bought a set of stock plugs pre gapped from Mountune. I measured with my feeler gauge and 0.26 fit with visible gap, 0.28 fit but offered some slight resistance to remove so I'd call it at 0.27. The spec says 0.26 to 0.28 so they're looking just right. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Hey Phil, I just bought a set of stock plugs pre gapped from Mountune. I measured with my feeler gauge and 0.26 fit with visible gap, 0.28 fit but offered some slight resistance to remove so I'd call it at 0.27. The spec says 0.26 to 0.28 so they're looking just right. What do you think?
I think you're good.

Ciao

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm still in the learning phase on the RS so I won't speak about it directly. I do know that the supercharged Mini's and the Evo IX I had would burn up a set of plugs within 15k and they were all just bolt on cars with the stock tune. A tune may have helped the Mini's but I know the Evo's go through a lot of plugs tuned or not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts