Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

First post on this forum but I have been lurking for a while.

From what I can tell, the RS2 seats are supposed to be similar to the ST3 seats. I went to my local dealer to sit in an ST3 Recaro to see how tight they are on the hips like most people talk about. I am 6'4" 260 so I was worried about that aspect. They are indeed tight on me. The local dealer had an RS fold out brochure and when I look at the pics of the RS2 seats they appear to be different in the area of the bolster. They do not seem to have that little triangle area that I see people modify. When I google image the RS2 seats some of the pics look like the RS Seats may have had some changes made..over the ST seats? I am hoping they made some changes to fit more people being this is a global car.

I was thinking about putting down a deposit and seeing if I can order a non allocated car. Just worried about those seats.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hello Everyone,

From what I can tell, the RS2 seats are supposed to be similar to the ST3 seats. I went to my local dealer to sit in an ST3 Recaro to see how tight they are on the hips like most people talk about. I am 6'4" 260 so I was worried about that aspect. They are indeed tight on me. The local dealer had an RS fold out brochure and when I look at the pics of the RS2 seats they appear to be different in the area of the bolster. They do not seem to have that little triangle area that I see people modify. When I google image the RS2 seats some of the pics look like the RS Seats may have had some changes made..over the ST seats? I am hoping they made some changes to fit more people being this is a global car.

I was thinking about putting down a deposit and seeing if I can order a non allocated car. Just worried about those seats.
The seats are very similiar, but unfortunately everyone is shaped differently, Torso length, leg length, other factors all change how a seat feels to someone.

in terms of seats you have a couple options.

get the RS2's and hope when they break in a little, they wont be too tight, or look into other seats as mentioned below!
Or go with the RS1 seats, obviously you lose alot of options with it. nd look into getting the Euro Spec RS seats from Europe! or aftermarket
the good thing about seats is that aftermarket seats do exist, obviously they cost extra on top of the car but if the worst thing about the car is the seats dont fit you, thats the also one of the easiest things to replace!

hope this helped you a little, Best of luck on your future purchase, whatever it may be!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
RS1 and RS2 seats are identical other than the materiel that covers them so I don't really see that helping any.

·
Registered
334 Posts
RS1 and RS2 seats are identical other than the materiel that covers them so I don't really see that helping any.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the RS2 seats have 8 way electronic controls which would include being able to adjust the seat bolsters?

I'm a large chap and I too worry about fitting well into the seats. However, I'll make do even if I don't fit properly.

·
Registered
591 Posts
The RS2 seats only have fore-aft, up-down, recline, and lumbar support controls.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the RS2 seats have 8 way electronic controls which would include being able to adjust the seat bolsters?

I'm a large chap and I too worry about fitting well into the seats. However, I'll make do even if I don't fit properly.
Some outlets said the RS2 seats were "six way" and at least one said "eight way". If fore/aft, up/down, lean forward/lean back and Lumbar In/Lumbar Out are each two "ways"; you get "eight way power seats". I assume the other outlets called them "six way power seats" plus lumbar support.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Yeah, the ST Recaros drove some guys to desperation. The up side of that is: they developed a method to actually remove the hard plastic wing forms in the Bolsters, making them much (much) more compliant. There is one of the most detailed and photo rich DIY's I've ever seen that will walk you through the process (easier than one might imagine), or you can show it to your upholstery shop and they should be able to do the job for ~$150. No changes to the leather/Alcantra/Diamonica are needed.

Edit: That's $150 per seat.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I'm glad I'm skinny!

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
I'm 5'7 150lbs...is there anyone with a similar build that can speak on ST2/ST3 seats? I have an ST1 so I'm not really sure how they are on longer trips etc...It seems like it's much bigger guys that are complaining.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I thought most of the complaints (including mine in the ST2 seats) was lumbar related. They can probably be a bit tight but I didn't think many complained about that. Probably wrong since I don't follow the Focus ST.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I thought most of the complaints (including mine in the ST2 seats) was lumbar related. They can probably be a bit tight but I didn't think many complained about that. Probably wrong since I don't follow the Focus ST.
Yeah, it was the thigh bolsters that some guys just couldn't take.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the comments. For me it's definitely the thigh that is tight. The ST3 seat that I test fitted was a brand new car so maybe it would have broken in after a while. Anyway it does sound like I have options if the seats are to much for me to handle. if it was another month from now we would probably have some reviews on everything including the seats.
I DD a Raptor so I am pretty used to a squishy seat and probably just need some new seat time to readjust my bottom.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I also daily a Raptor. I just sold my 2013 GT500 with the recaros. They fit me fine and I'm 6'2" 265 pounds, Now I wonder how different they will be as compared to the RS recaros.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I also daily a Raptor. I just sold my 2013 GT500 with the recaros. They fit me fine and I'm 6'2" 265 pounds, Now I wonder how different they will be as compared to the RS recaros.
My guess after sitting in the Focus ST Recaros is that they are going to be very tight for you - they are snug but comfortable for me at 5'11" 155 lbs....

·
Registered
561 Posts
My guess after sitting in the Focus ST Recaros is that they are going to be very tight for you - they are snug but comfortable for me at 5'11" 155 lbs....
I'm 6'1 at 165 pounds and they hug me very snug. Comfortable for me. Can't comment on others haha.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
About this Discussion
39 Replies
25 Participants
EagerRS
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing