Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't see a section for transmission so I will ask here.

I have been Google searching but can't find an answer. Is the RS transmission unique to the RS or is it a reworked ST transmission? I know it is unique regardless due to the awd system I am more concerned about the strength of the manual transmission during things like autox or taking to the drag strip and launching it. If it is from an ST made to work in an awd car is there an speculation on how well it will hold up to abuse with all the power and no loss of traction? Maybe this is still in the dark but I would think the information would be out there somewhere they will be building them soon for orders...

·
Registered
1,859 Posts

I have been Google searching but can't find an answer. Is the RS transmission unique to the RS or is it a reworked ST transmission? I know it is unique regardless due to the awd system I am more concerned about the strength of the manual transmission during things like autox or taking to the drag strip and launching it. If it is from an ST made to work in an awd car is there an speculation on how well it will hold up to abuse with all the power and no loss of traction? Maybe this is still in the dark but I would think the information would be out there somewhere they will be building them soon for orders...
I can only say that, when I last compared the owner's manuals, the gear ratios were the same, including both final drives. I have been running under the assumption that it is a beefed up ST transmission, which means that if it doesn't dump synchros or second gear out of the bottom then it will be good for big numbers. But I haven't heard anything definitive yet.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha ok, one thing I am hoping to avoid is tip toeing around the transmission like I had to do in my 12 wrx... never liked actually launching it for fear of damaging the gearbox. The way i figure it, Ford wont put a LC system in the car if it could easily damage the car and cause warranty claims so it must roll on the power smoothly and be safer than random kids doing clutch dumps.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Transmission threads

All this has been discussed and answered before. I guess you didn't search, and since you are fairly new ( welcome) I will point you to a thread entry where I looked up most, if not all, of the transmission threads. see this thread entry: http://www.focusrs.org/forum/9-focus-rs-discussions/1604-rear-drive-unit-long-term-reliability-question-5.html#post32280

Enjoy and enjoy your RS! :cool:;):cool:

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the link i will have a dig a bit in ther i skimmed a bit of that post the other day but i was thinking it was more about the rear end. Good thing about a new car there are only 6 pages to go through not 100!

·
Registered
895 Posts
I thought I read somewhere it was a modified Kuga transmission.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
AusRS
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing