Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have never used coilovers or bags before, only lowering springs (it was stupid idea and now my BRZ feels like it is breaking my back even when I drive over the smallest of pebbles).

My question is concerning how installing coilovers or bags will effect how the car changes the dampers in track mode. First off, it is my understanding that a coilover or bag system would replace the stock dampers, is this correct? If so, how would it effect the track mode? As this is a setting in the ECU will there have to be changes to the computer? As there is no foreseeable reason for me to ever use track mode should I even care about loosing this feature?

Basically, what issues can I expect to arise if I go with coilovers or bags?

Sorry if this has already been asked in another thread, I couldn't find anything and this is my first time posting on a forum. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Why are you interested in suspension modifications? Reviews have described Normal mode as rough and Track mode (40% stiffer) as too rough for most tracks. With regard to the dampers, it seems to me as though the only benefit to installing something aftermarket would be the simplicity/reliability of not having a computer-controlled system. Or getting something softer.

The drive modes control a lot more than just the dampers. I don't think that I have seen it confirmed, but it is my assumption that that system is open loop. If you were to disconnect the factory dampers and install something else that is not computer controlled, the ECU would continue to think that something is listening on the other end and command a stiffer profile. This would obviously do nothing to your suspension since you wouldn't have computer-controlled dampers.

I would expect that the only issues that you might see are potentially ruining the suspension of a car that can already pull over 1G on a skidpad and that's about it.

Reactions: Ecobeast

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Why are you interested in suspension modifications? Reviews have described Normal mode as rough and Track mode (40% stiffer) as too rough for most tracks. With regard to the dampers, it seems to me as though the only benefit to installing something aftermarket would be the simplicity/reliability of not having a computer-controlled system. Or getting something softer.

The drive modes control a lot more than just the dampers. I don't think that I have seen it confirmed, but it is my assumption that that system is open loop. If you were to disconnect the factory dampers and install something else that is not computer controlled, the ECU would continue to think that something is listening on the other end and command a stiffer profile. This would obviously do nothing to your suspension since you wouldn't have computer-controlled dampers.

I would expect that the only issues that you might see are potentially ruining the suspension of a car that can already pull over 1G on a skidpad and that's about it.
I think some guys want to lower the car.

It doesn't seem like it needs to be lowered though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand that the stock suspension is already tuned by ford, but I personally like the look of lowered cars and want the option of being able to adjust the suspension. I don't drive like Ben Collins or Ken Block, and I never will. Therefore, I wont be able to use the stock track settings like they are meant to be used. If I can get a coilover set up that allows me to pick my ride height and stiffness I would be really happy.

Thank you for answering my question! What you said makes since.

·
Premium Member
3,511 Posts
I read somewhere that the car only has about 4 inches of ground clearance, maybe best to look at a different car if you have to have a car you can lower.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I read somewhere that the car only has about 4 inches of ground clearance, maybe best to look at a different car if you have to have a car you can lower.
Only 4 inches? I see that as 3.5 more to go :eek:nthego:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I understand that the stock suspension is already tuned by ford, but I personally like the look of lowered cars and want the option of being able to adjust the suspension. I don't drive like Ben Collins or Ken Block, and I never will. Therefore, I wont be able to use the stock track settings like they are meant to be used. If I can get a coilover set up that allows me to pick my ride height and stiffness I would be really happy.

Thank you for answering my question! What you said makes since.
I would be very careful about your fenders and wheels as well. This car has very little suspension travel so clearances are pretty tight as-is. Also be careful with that front lip. I don't remember the exact numbers but the Owner's Manual gave some stats about clearance. All I remember is that they were quite a bit worse than the ST's ground clearance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4 inches is plenty. I just want to adjust the car to the wheels. There is nothing worse than a car with a giant wheel gap. Personally I think the RS could do with about a 3/4 inch drop (Unless it starts rubbing).

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am curious to see if anyone tries replacing fluid in monroe dual mode dampers with something lower viscosity to make both modes softer.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I am curious to see if anyone tries replacing fluid in monroe dual mode dampers with something lower viscosity to make both modes softer.
Very much this. I would like something that's like 15% softer than ST in normal and ~20% firmer in sport. As it stands now it seems like the sport setting is basically unusable.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Very much this. I would like something that's like 15% softer than ST in normal and ~20% firmer in sport. As it stands now it seems like the sport setting is basically unusable.
I like bouncing over potholes after I hit the first one, oh and my ass skipping across the pavement from mid-corner bumps :).

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
I like bouncing over potholes after I hit the first one, oh and my ass skipping across the pavement from mid-corner bumps :).
that sounds like my truck.. you have to be careful to NOT be on the gas when you hit a bump mid corner, or you'll end up changing direction.. or worse.. facing the car behind you.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Are potholes that bad where yall live?
Geographically, a lot of us are at a disadvantage for road quality due to the amount of freeze cycles we see. I imagine MI is a lot like Colorado in terms of it being warm during the day, but below freezing a night for a decent portion of the year. Couple that with states that spend less overall on their roads and you have a recipe for a lot of ****ty surfaces.

Colorado used to be far worse than they are now, but it seems like they started to put more money into the roads, they could be a lot worse.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
That depiction is crazy!!!!!
There's a spot near my house where you have to drive off the road or on the opposite side of the road to get through that I'll grab a picture of. My co-worker had to have a tire replaced twice last week literally two days in a row, two different tires, two different pot holes. This is part of the reason why I will be downsizing to 18" rims. So far I've majorly bent 3 rims, but my tires have all made it. I think all of my rims are bent to a minor degree. The Discount Tire guys made a point of mentioning it, but they balanced out (except the other 3 that I've replaced). As long as I don't feel a pulsation while driving then I won't bother replacing the rim.

Michigan had a huge bill to increase our sales tax to fix the roads, but our cheap *** residents won't pay for it. They'd rather just put the money into rims, tires, and suspension components I guess.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
That depiction is crazy!!!!!

That's pretty accurate for that entire region I think - Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois and probably even Ohio.

I grew up in Northern Illinois, not far from Chicago and man, the roads were ****ty. They would send out trucks with blacktop to fill them in....within a week or two...that pothole is back and a new one formed not far from it.

I ***** about the roads in the South...since I've lived in the warmer parts of the US pretty much since 1998 - I can't see myself moving back up North, dealing with the cold weather and in a state that doesn't take care of their roads properly.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Are potholes that bad where yall live?
that sounds like my truck.. you have to be careful to NOT be on the gas when you hit a bump mid corner, or you'll end up changing direction.. or worse.. facing the car behind you.
I was joking but yes they are horrible lol. We have potholes that can stretch the whole width of the road and be 6 inches deep or more, on the Highway. I have driven smoother Rally roads then some of the ones around me no lie. When it rain and they fill with water it's like playing Russian roulette if you hit one, never know how deep it is.

In my ST I actually would have to stay on the gas to straighten it out, FWD FTW lol.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
There's a spot near my house where you have to drive off the road or on the opposite side of the road to get through that I'll grab a picture of. My co-worker had to have a tire replaced twice last week literally two days in a row, two different tires, two different pot holes. This is part of the reason why I will be downsizing to 18" rims. So far I've majorly bent 3 rims, but my tires have all made it. I think all of my rims are bent to a minor degree. The Discount Tire guys made a point of mentioning it, but they balanced out (except the other 3 that I've replaced). As long as I don't feel a pulsation while driving then I won't bother replacing the rim.

Michigan had a huge bill to increase our sales tax to fix the roads, but our cheap *** residents won't pay for it. They'd rather just put the money into rims, tires, and suspension components I guess.
I see why you guys are concerned now. Those horrible road conditions.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts