Ford Focus RS Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I noticed on the drive home a manual/pamphlet for a Cobb Accessport, but the owner never mentioned any tuning. He may have, he may have not, but I didn't notice any difference compared to the '17 I had.

Thanks!
If the AP was unmarried, it might be a mute point.

But if you have the AP, it most likely have an aftermarket map on it.
The AP did not come with the car, so I imagine the tune (if there was one) was removed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
952 Posts
You can always check the key count (how many times the car was started since the ECU was flashed). If the seller took the tune off before selling, you'd probably have less than 100.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
You can always check the key count (how many times the car was started since the ECU was flashed). If the seller took the tune off before selling, you'd probably have less than 100.
I'm guessing I will need an OBD II scan tool to see this, right?

Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Yup, you'd need an OBDII scanner. Consider getting the OBDLink MX+, it's worth it for not having to hassle with cheap knock-off scanners for FORScan work. That and they automatically go to sleep and don't drain your battery.

Instead of running an AP to monitor engine parameters, I use Torque Pro on my phone and the MX. I have way more than 6 sensors loaded, and don't have to worry about getting my AP (well in my case mTune neutered AP) stolen.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Yup, you'd need an OBDII scanner. Consider getting the OBDLink MX+, it's worth it for not having to hassle with cheap knock-off scanners for FORScan work. That and they automatically go to sleep and don't drain your battery.

Instead of running an AP to monitor engine parameters, I use Torque Pro on my phone and the MX. I have way more than 6 sensors loaded, and don't have to worry about getting my AP (well in my case mTune neutered AP) stolen.
Thanks so much for the info! I'll look into the one you suggested!

That does sound like a good way to ensure that no one breaks in and steals an AP from my car.

Thanks so much!

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
Records are your friend. I don't like buying used anything, especially forced induction vehicles. But, if buying used (the RS isn't made anymore), one with records would be #1. Wouldn't bothered me if it was tracked. It would bother me if there were no service records.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Reason for pad change could have been to upgrade vs being worn out. However, stock pads aren't the best, so the pads may have been over heated and degraded, hence the change.

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
Reason for pad change could have bent to upgrade vs being worn out. However, stock pads aren't the best, so the pads may have been over heated and degraded, hence the change.
I'd bet the owner changed the pads (upgraded) to withstand track braking. It's the most common upgrade for a trackday.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If he says it isnt tuned but you wanna check, all Cobb based tunes will let you select slots after startup by making sure cruise control is off, and pres cancel, if the rpm dial goes to 1k, and pressing up on the cruise controller makes it go to 2k, it is tuned.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts
About this Discussion
51 Replies
20 Participants
NitrousFocusRS
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing