Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all!

It has been a long while since I last posted on this forum, but I had a question for you guys and gals.

I'm looking to get a 2018 RS with very low miles, but that has seen extensive track use. Car has a lot of maintenance records, but I worry about the damage done from tracking.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Why extensive track use, are you looking for something that's modded already or you want to try and get a deal on it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey, thanks for your response, I don't think my question was clear. I am considering buying a used RS that was purchased and tracked several times, and driven very occasionally, hence the low miles. The car is not modded, it is seems well maintained per records, including very frequent oil changes and brake pad changes. I am curious for those who have tracked their cars, is there anything I need to look at closely when inspecting it? Would people avoid a tracked car that will become, for me, a daily driver? Advice appreciated.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Take a pass and buy something that was not put through it’s paces on the track. I know not many 2018’s out there. I think almost everyone I found online had some mods which I don’t want.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Depends. A thorough mechanical assessment might tell you it's fine. My 6 days and ~1k miles probably isn't "extensive," but my own runs great and consistent oil analysis shows zero concerns... not even budding ones.

Brake caliper seals wear pretty fast at the track. Replacing the calipers seemed cheap to me, but that too is worth asking about or budgeting for. Hubs too, also depending.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why extensive track use, are you looking for something that's modded already or you want to try and get a deal on it?
The seller says he has been to 3-4 events. I've looked at the CarFax, and while there are only around 6,000 miles on the car, the vehicle has been thoroughly maintained. Lots of checkups and services. What gives me pause is that I saw on the CarFax that the brake pads were replaced around 4,000 miles. It doesn't seem like the vehicle is driven a lot, but when it is, it is driven hard.

I'm interested in it because I'm getting a decent deal, but it also includes the Winter Wheel and Tire kit (which I am very interested in).

The seller has installed two mods which don't seem too bad to remove if I don't like them (Camber Plates and Turbo Blanket).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Take a pass and buy something that was not put through it’s paces on the track. I know not many 2018’s out there. I think almost everyone I found online had some mods which I don’t want.
I may take a pass. We shall see. I am having a pre-purchase inspection done at a Ford dealership before the deal is sealed.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Depends. A thorough mechanical assessment might tell you it's fine. My 6 days and ~1k miles probably isn't "extensive," but my own runs great and consistent oil analysis shows zero concerns... not even budding ones.

Brake caliper seals wear pretty fast at the track. Replacing the calipers seemed cheap to me, but that too is worth asking about or budgeting for. Hubs too, also depending.
That is good to hear about your car!

I'm taking it in for a pre-purchase inspection at a Ford dealer to make sure all is well with the vehicle. There are a lot of service records for the vehicle (services, checkups, and even brake pad replacement around 4,000 miles).

It has reportedly seen 3-4 track days/events, so maybe not as extensive as I said earlier, but it seems like it was driven hard.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
194 Posts
At least the seller is being front about the track days and isn't hiding(all?)the mods. It's difficult to find used cars and honest sellers.

Good luck.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
504 Posts
I think if someone knows what they are doing, the track is not as abrasive as the AutoX days that a lot of people won’t tell you about. The pads may have been replaced to upgrade for track use, as the RS has failed on people on the track.
I think someone that know what they are doing will take great care of the car, and if tracked even better care, because they are putting their life at risk if they don’t take care of the car. I would just ask if there were other mods on the car that have been taken off.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think if someone knows what they are doing, the track is not as abrasive as the AutoX days that a lot of people won’t tell you about. The pads may have been replaced to upgrade for track use, as the RS has failed on people on the track.
I think someone that know what they are doing will take great care of the car, and if tracked even better care, because they are putting their life at risk if they don’t take care of the car. I would just ask if there were other mods on the car that have been taken off.
To me, it sounds like the seller is pretty good about maintenance. He even said he did oil changes before and after each event. I'll make sure to ask about any other mods. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Weren't these things built to be tracked? I mean, if the guy is being honest and you think you know what you are getting, then I say why not? Otherwise, you may not have enough confidence in the car to begin with to operate as designed.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Has the previous owner replaced the tires? Did he use aftermarket wheels/tires while tracking?
I track my RS and what wears the fastest is tires and brakes. You can kill a good set of OE tires in 3-4 track days.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Weren't these things built to be tracked? I mean, if the guy is being honest and you think you know what you are getting, then I say why not? Otherwise, you may not have enough confidence in the car to begin with to operate as designed.
Yeah, they are. I had a 2017, so I know these things are built for the track.

I think you're right. Tracking is a pretty high wear and tear ordeal, so I just wanted to make sure that it was okay that all this wear and tear occurred with such little mileage (instead of being spread out over a longer time frame and greater mileage).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Has the previous owner replaced the tires? Did he use aftermarket wheels/tires while tracking?
I track my RS and what wears the fastest is tires and brakes. You can kill a good set of OE tires in 3-4 track days.
I believe he has been using wheels and tires from the Ford Performance catalog and not the forged ones that came with the vehicle. I'm going to clarify that with him when I meet.

Ah, that makes sense since those take the brunt of the work when tracking.

Thanks for the info!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts