Ford Focus RS Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
Now ALL is FIXED and personally documented, I'll do a write-up soon here and post a video pointing out the main aspects...(or you can find it on the EU RS forum in there member section, just please like and share the video and post lol!!!) I'll start another official thread for this with a new demonstration video here is a few.

I ended up finding https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-electronics/47583-aditional-puddle-lights-7.html that has all the info needed for just puddles (I will be doing this mod also when I get a chance), I ended up triple checking with process of elimination against my known wiring and found another goof on my part in addition to the broken wire I found on my 2nd check lol...

You can add this to any mk3 focus btw. Time to fix the rear foglight!!!

Now ALL is FIXED

Time to fix the rear foglight!!!
Good news x2!! And good job thanks for posting your findings it seems not everybody comes back to share like you did!

Highly interested in your eventual writeup! And what you find out about wiring the rear fog to the bcm! If I understand right you dont absolutely need the door harnesses you can add pins/wire to the stock connectors?

Almost bought those aftermarket mirrors (full assy) which were cheap enough to gamble on the quality/fit, until I found shipping was going to cost as much as the mirrors themselves:

https://m.auto-doc.fr/alkar/7701739

https://m.piecesauto24.com/alkar/7701738

They were on sale a few hours ago at 70€ each which made less than 200$cad before shipping. Was thinking I could have the caps wrapped on gloss black to match the side trims and avoid painting them or buying painted ones.

They seem to be available on ebay too maybe they can be found with cheaper shipping options.

Edit: does it seem like they woukd still fully fold on cars with side window deflectors? Not sure I want to get rid of my deflectors!!

Shipping ate my lunch lol...Those are AM, but should still work if you get the correctly pinned version) there are 2 varieties and I don't know which is which since I bought OEM)
The wiring harnesses were a big waste of money, but I needed them to reverse engineer the connections without access to a proper wiring diagrams (as we all know they are missing info)...your deflectors are prob ok, they don't fold in that much, but are still way smaller, so that helps a ton from poking out.

Advantages.

powerfold
puddlelamps
smaller mirror housing overall.
Aspheric Mirrors.
more housings are available.
black housings really clean up the look with my black and grey only theme! Time for some hood vents!!!

Shipping ate my lunch lol...Those are AM, but should still work if you get the correctly pinned version) there are 2 varieties and I don't know which is which since I bought OEM)
The wiring harnesses were a big waste of money, but I needed them to reverse engineer the connections without access to a proper wiring diagrams (as we all know they are missing info)...your deflectors are prob ok, they don't fold in that much, but are still way smaller, so that helps a ton from poking out.

Advantages.

powerfold
puddlelamps
smaller mirror housing overall.
Aspheric Mirrors.
more housings are available.
black housings really clean up the look with my black and grey only theme! Time for some hood vents!!!
Thanks for the info again! I guess I’ll be looking at ordering a pair tomorrow!

Did you get the switch with the LHD trim attached or were you planning of drilling a hole for the little mirror folding knob/button! It’s harder to find the switch trim in a LHD config!!

Be careful the UK/AUDM mirrors are RHD. You have to find them from a LHD EU support country. Mine donors are RHD (the parts all work), but my bases are from Thailand lol...I just need to figure out the PDM-DTC I have and get the rest of the wiring squared away:

Code: B11BD - Mirror Fold Relay

Additional Fault Symptom:
- Circuit Short To Battery Or Open

• DTC Present at Time of Request
  • Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

I know pin 3 connector 609B(?) is still missing from the door lock module (my guess is that's where the folding gets the power). I just don't know what PIN 3 does 100% without the correct diagrams (which I still need if anyone has them ??AUDM diagrams would work){the older model 2011 had it wired into the door power, but I want confirmation). I'm not going to chance it just yet with the pdm to the door lock splicing either, as I've re-pinned everything thus far without breaking anything, lol!!

I love the puddles and the simple fact I can press the button and get the drivers door to fold, so I know I can get the PD to work once I get the wiring squared away. Overall it wasn't that hard, takes about 6 hours, cost can vary greatly depending on your ebay luck...I'm sure somebody could figure it out, but I have all the PNs needed for wiring, trim, mirror parts, mirrors, etc...I've bought all the ebay wiring harnesses I could find lately for this project to compare wiring (bought 2 wrong/right ones also lol) and have spares, (so I can keep my original if I need to return to stock.) I will/would make my own wiring for this and other future mods as the ** ford makes is a joke quality wise (the brand new pass side harness had broken and mis-length-ed wiring for the exact ** I needed GO FIGURE lol, so bad I didn't even use the brand new door wiring harness just lost $$$)...I also have PNs for the trim, mirrors, caps, and other needed parts. I will make another video with all the needed PN's and instructions and links to the items. I should be getting a excellent camcorder and want to use it as a test project, but if somebody figures it out before I have the time...its not that hard and there is already a part list on the other website, I'll have spent some time on that video, so it should be very good. TBH, I want a little time being the only one with them...had to have parts shipped from 5+ countries...Mostly ebay, but also couple other websites that take paypal), I also had to have items re-shipped from Germany since the ford dealer there doesn't ship to the US, but that worked out well also, although they take the longest, because German customs are super slow. If all goes well I should have a video up how to do this by mid June, but don't hold me to that as I thought I'd have this done last year when my buddy was in Germany lol. Also lots of thanks and some huge credit go to @tezza from the other forum, he is the UK parts god and without him, I would have been buying the wrong parts all day long.
Hello!
I recently completed this mod on my 2013 ST and I have the exact same error code from both of my door modules as you memtion here. In addition my mirror glasses motor all the way up when folded and all the way down when unfolded, which is obviously annoying.
I have tried various different “high” spec door modules without any better result, so I’m wondering if this is a software issues in the door modules??? Any hints?

Hello!
I recently completed this mod on my 2013 ST and I have the exact same error code from both of my door modules as you memtion here. In addition my mirror glasses motor all the way up when folded and all the way down when unfolded, which is obviously annoying.
I have tried various different “high” spec door modules without any better result, so I’m wondering if this is a software issues in the door modules??? Any hints?
all the way down when unfolded, this could be reverse mode, did you enable it or could it be enabled on the module? All the way up (to normal position or does it reset the position each time?)

all the way down when unfolded, this could be reverse mode, did you enable it or could it be enabled on the module? All the way up (to normal position or does it reset the position each time?)
When I lock the car both mirror glasses motor all the way up as far as they will go (in parallel with the mirror housings folding). When I unlock the car, the glasses motor all the way down as they unfold. This of course means I need to set the proper up/down glass postion every time……

I would check all your connections again, even a slight misconnection between the pin and connector caused issues for my thermistor.
I never had anything like that happen, that aspect always worked correct. On some models (maybe the RS) you can have the mirrors tilt down while in reverse via coding. Which PN of DDM/PDM did you use? If you haven't tried a RS PDM/DDM I would, but it sounds like you have tried that; as long as forscan programs it correctly it should work. So...my checklist would be

1. Check wiring pins/connectors and continuity from point to point to ensure the wire itself is good (I had a brand new harness have broken wires and that threw me off while working on mine...)
2. Check module PN
3. Check Forscan Code vs what is on your modules to ensure it programmed correctly. (you may need to enable something else or make certain changes because your car is -2015 refresh)

I would check all your connections again, even a slight misconnection between the pin and connector caused issues for my thermistor.
I never had anything like that happen, that aspect always worked correct. On some models (maybe the RS) you can have the mirrors tilt down while in reverse via coding. Which PN of DDM/PDM did you use? If you haven't tried a RS PDM/DDM I would, but it sounds like you have tried that; as long as forscan programs it correctly it should work. So...my checklist would be

1. Check wiring pins/connectors and continuity from point to point to ensure the wire itself is good (I had a brand new harness have broken wires and that threw me off while working on mine...)
2. Check module PN
3. Check Forscan Code vs what is on your modules to ensure it programmed correctly. (you may need to enable something else or make certain changes because your car is -2015 refresh)
Well I’m pretty sure my wiring is good because every function works correctly in isolation (ie thermistor, turn signals, pubble lights, mirror heat, mirror adjustment in all directions and mirror fold). But, there is clearly some interaction between the folding function and the glass adjustment function that is not quite correct. Besides, all pins are populated and there are no more available, so it can’t really be wiring.
Note: at the time I did the job, I had what I thought was a wiring error on the thermistor, but after a long time faffing about, I finally took the car for a drive and, like magic, the thermistor started to calibrate itself to the PCM and everything was perfect after 5 mins on the road!
I have also tried later module part numbers, but they don’t work properly at all - they don’t load a window glass calibration and the throw multiple error codes.

i was also looking through Forscan multiple times to see if I could see any other functions to enable that might be related, but nothing jumped out. I do see that there is an as-built configuration function for both door modules, but I don’t know what the various parameters do, so I don’t know how to experiment with that……

This is sounding very likely something you will have to workout with coding changes on the DDM/PDM. Do you know if there are any cars from your year with the function enabled from factory? That will be a huge help to you in the likely upcoming as-built comparisons you will need to do. e.g. eu ST focus from 2013 or others, as honestly I have no clue which cars have exactly what combinations. If so you can use programs listed in other threads to compare the as-builts and find the correct coding for those modules. I will also look at my database I have and see if I can figure out what coding is related to the mirror control vs the housing, I think I remember seeing something somewhere.

This is sounding very likely something you will have to workout with coding changes on the DDM/PDM. Do you know if there are any cars from your year with the function enabled from factory? That will be a huge help to you in the likely upcoming as-built comparisons you will need to do. e.g. eu ST focus from 2013 or others, as honestly I have no clue which cars have exactly what combinations. If so you can use programs listed in other threads to compare the as-builts and find the correct coding for those modules. I will also look at my database I have and see if I can figure out what coding is related to the mirror control vs the housing, I think I remember seeing something somewhere.
I have a feeling it has to come down to that - obviously there is no relay inside the mirrors themselves, so it must be a function of the DDM/PDM. I do have a couple of ST forum members in the UK that I interact with - maybe one of them can help.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.